Purpose of Pepsi bezel?
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Purpose of Pepsi bezel?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Purpose of Pepsi bezel?

Im not a diver, although I'd like to try it someday. I've often wondered about the Pepsi bezel and its use. Why is the red (usually a color used as a warning) on the first fifteen minutes and not the last, say from :45 to :00? Hopefully some divers will enlighten me here. I'm sure once it's explained, it will seem obvious.

Thanks

Re: Purpose of Pepsi bezel?

those bezels are gaudy and fugly . id also like to know

Banned

No reason I am aware of for the pepsi colour choices specifically, other than they look good. The minute index markings between the 12 o'clock to the 15/20 min mark allow you to accurately time a safety stop on ascent. I believe we have Rolex to thank for the 12 to 15/20 minute indexing style that so many seem to copy without thought to the purpose. Ideally, there should be index markings all around the bezel.

As an example; compare the VSA DM 500 to the OS300

Last edited by bedlam; March 3rd, 2012 at 07:23.
    Spring-Diver likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My theory has always been that it's not red for the first 15 mins total, but rather for the 15 mins following the first full hour. IE: you're diving for 60 mins, so once you pass the first hour, you're "in the red."
    dinexus and Davidka like this.

Quote Originally Posted by adken View Post
    My theory has always been that it's not red for the first 15 mins total, but rather for the 15 mins following the first full hour. IE: you're diving for 60 mins, so once you pass the first hour, you're "in the red."
    I guess this makes sense. We probably need to hear from someone who was a diver before computers took over. I don't know enough about bottom time, ascents and all the rest of it. I'm sure the colors are just a styling thing now. Thanks for the replies so far.

I always thought the pepsi bezel was more a 24hr watch thing, like a Rolex GMT. As a survivor of the cola wars I prefer Coke tho.
    mcnabbanov likes this.
    Mr.Misc's Law "As watch thickness increases more mass is needed to protect itself from increased random unintentional impacts".

i am not a diver, but i am an oceanographer...

The wavelength of red light has the shallowest penetration into the water column, about 15-20 feet in clear water. Below that depth, the red portion of the bezel would not appear red to the diver.

My guess is that it serves no functional purpose to a diver, but perhaps the fact that it no longer appears red could give the diver an indication that he is below 20 feet, or conversely, when it appears red, the diver is above 20 feet....

Probably just stylistic... if i had to guess

Swamp60-
    Interesting idea, maybe that's it.

Keep em coming...

The "Pepsi bezel" refers to the 24 hr bezel on Rolex GMT watches. The red and blue separate daytime and nighttime and and split evenly into 12 hr segments. As to why dive bezels typically have the first 15 minutes marked off is that it is meant to time decompression stops which last less then 15 minutes. The way a dive bezel is used is not to time total bottom time but to time multiple decompression stops and it is reset with each stop.
    Bronte, ncmoto, powboyz and 3 others like this.

I get why the first 15 are hashed off, but why red?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information