Real or Fake Tudor Black Bay?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By t60
  • 1 Post By Paneraiguy1

Thread: Real or Fake Tudor Black Bay?

Real or Fake Tudor Black Bay?

Hi all, looking at a used Tudor Black Bay with ETA movement. Will be picking it up from a private seller tomorrow. Can you help confirm that this is an authentic watch?

Name:  IMG_9735.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  78.0 KBName:  IMG_9736.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  150.0 KBName:  IMG_9737.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  83.1 KBName:  IMG_9738.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  83.2 KBName:  IMG_9739.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  81.8 KBName:  IMG_9740.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  93.7 KBName:  IMG_9741.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  130.3 KB.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Real or Fake Tudor Black Bay?

Name:  IMG_9747.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  941.0 KBName:  IMG_9746.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  1.20 MB
    Here are some pics of the warranty card as well. I know that under the model# often times the dial face or band is listed. On this card it isn't for some reason.

Everything looks complete (ie box, papers, accessories). I wouldn't worry too much if it's a reputable member here.

That said...

You usually can't tell by pictures, but in person there's a lot of small details to look for. See Google.

Second, check to see if there's a phantom date-setting position on the crown or a phantom date click as the date mechanism changes over to the next day. Tudor takes the time to convert these to true no-date movements. I'm not aware of any fakes that do that because - for them - it would be a waste of money as it doesn't affect the appearance of the watch.

If you're really paranoid, use PayPal and have a watchmaker crack the caseback open to check for the Triovis regulator et al.
    Last edited by pinkybrain; April 20th, 2018 at 18:33.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You mentioned that you will be picking up the watch from the seller. If that means in person, ask to see the original receipt of sale and a copy.

The serial number on the receipt should match that on the watch.

Open the case back of tool available or take it to an AD and ask them to verify authenticity prior to purchase.

If not a person to person sale, then as suggested, use PayPal. This gives you some buys protection. But not if you pay via Friends and family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is really great info. The person I’m buyung from is on the Facebook marketplace so it’s not a member here to check reputation.

I will definitely check for the date setting. I have other ETA movement watches so I know what that feels like. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkybrain View Post
    Everything looks complete (ie box, papers, accessories). I wouldn't worry too much if it's a reputable member here.

That said...

You usually can't tell by pictures, but in person there's a lot of small details to look for. See Google.

Second, check to see if there's a phantom date-setting position on the crown or a phantom date click as the date mechanism changes over to the next day. Tudor takes the time to convert these to true no-date movements. I'm not aware of any fakes that do that because - for them - it would be a waste of money as it doesn't affect the appearance of the watch.

If you're really paranoid, use PayPal and have a watchmaker crack the caseback open to check for the Triovis regulator et al.

t60

And..IMO F2F deals are pointless to look at pictures. They could be sending you pictures of a real watch, then show up with a replica.

Go to a reputable dealer and ask them to verify, even for a small fee it's worth the peace of mind.
    stillonthebeach likes this.

No need to open the case back and validate the movement, as pinkybrain pointed out the Tudor ETA movement has a date delete so you would only have 1 stop on the crown, once unscrewed it should be in position to manually wind and if you pull it out once the second hand should hack and be ready to set the time/hands...no date stop in-between. This looks legit..the serial number matches the warranty card from what I see which you would not have with a fake or a fake with a fake box set most likely. If this is not genuine, then it's a seller who has covered a lot of bases with this BB to pass it off as one. As noted above makes sure everything in person matches what is noted in the pics and of course you could visit a Tudor seller to verify.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Thank you all for your assistance. The watch turned out to be authentic and I feel I got a great deal. Here are a few pics! Thanks again!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Craustin1 likes this.

Thread Information