Recommendations when looking for a dive watch
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Recommendations when looking for a dive watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Recommendations when looking for a dive watch

Hi there,
    I'm a fairly new diver, have been on two bigger dive trips and have logged around 30 dives. In addition to this, I'm a small time vintage watch collector (if you could call it that with only around 10 watches in the collection). On my last dive trip I got more accustomed to using a dive computer, and now I wouldn't dive without one. On the same trip, I met this guy with a vintage watch with an built in dive computer. It was a Citizen *something* quartz watch, which logged the same stuff as the ordinary dive computer did:

• Current depth.
    • Maximum depth reached on this dive.
    • No stop time
    • Dive time

Not sure if it also measured water temperature, ascent rate etc, but it had the basic functions atleast.
    Now, that got me curious to get a proper dive watch myself. Though, I know absolutely nothing about what to look for.
    I'm only into mechanical watches otherwise, but I'm guessing it's difficult to find a mechanical one that would give me all the features listed above :P so I'm trying to be open minded. I'm not keen to put a fortune away since I'm not diving that often, so a price between $250-750 perhaps. What's your recommendations? Any particular brands and/or models to check out, or perhaps some to stay away from? :)

Re: Recommendations when looking for a dive watch

It's not mechanical, but a watch I just picked up is the citizen aqualand promaster jp2000.

It's got many of the features you're looking for within your budget, it has history and it's unique looking.
    ZephyrNYC and aSoder like this.

Just a pic from the Web
    aSoder likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Like said above, the Citizen Promaster Aqualand range of dive watches (Quartz) offer a lot and are at the more affordable end of the spectrum. Off the top of my head, Oris does a mechanical watch with a depth gauge but it's pricey and not within your budget.

Web image:
    Name:  bj2120-07e_3_1_1_1.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  203.8 KB

Citizen Aqualand Diver Watch | Citizen Aqualand Promaster Watches Online

May I suggest something slightly different? I know it's not what you asked for but let me just throw it out there and see what you think. I know from reading threads here that occasionally suggestions can start to wander off from the OP's specified criteria, eg: "If you could only increase you're budget by X amount", etc. and I realise I'm consciously doing something similar here so aologies in advance if this is wasting your time. Anyway, here it is - since you're already a watch fan and into vintage watches it may appeal to that side of things with you. How about just a very plain standard dive watch? That's what I use.

Your computer will look after your dive data, show your no deco time, warn you of your ascent rate, etc. Use your basic watch to time your whole dive - your underwater time - using the bezel (personally I only go for watches with the full 60 minute bezels). A computer, depending on what you have, may only show your remaining no deco time but not your actual dive duration. The watch will let you see your actual underwater time (and of course, obviously the actual "time" time!).

Then afterwards, just wear the watch casually as a reminder of a nice dive, a great weekend or a trip away. If it's a staright forward "time" watch without all the additional multifunction features it may just wear a bit better in more situations that a more complex piece. Think of it as a more "romantic" view on a dive watch in a world of wrist computers. And if you like mechanical watches and especially if you're into vintage pieces you probably have half a romantic notion about watches in general already anyway.

The Seiko SKX007/SKX009 range are classics already as is and the Citizen NY0040 is a very similar alternative and both well within your budget (amongst others).

Summer Special: Seiko SKX007 vs Citizen NY0040

And if the mechanical side of things really appeals to you, a mechanical depth gauge sitting alongside your watch on one wrist coupled with your dive computer on the other and a set of dive tables tucked into your BC pocket offers a full analogue back-up to your computer should yours fail (and your buddies!). One of the above mentioned watches and a gauge would still be within your mentioned budget.

Name:  On Wrist.JPG
Views: 224
Size:  309.3 KB

Anyway, that's just a suggestion to maybe think about. Best of luck with your watch search and future diving adventures!

Quote Originally Posted by aSoder View Post
    Hi there,
    I'm a fairly new diver, have been on two bigger dive trips and have logged around 30 dives. In addition to this, I'm a small time vintage watch collector (if you could call it that with only around 10 watches in the collection). On my last dive trip I got more accustomed to using a dive computer, and now I wouldn't dive without one. On the same trip, I met this guy with a vintage watch with an built in dive computer. It was a Citizen *something* quartz watch, which logged the same stuff as the ordinary dive computer did:

• Current depth.
    • Maximum depth reached on this dive.
    • No stop time
    • Dive time

Not sure if it also measured water temperature, ascent rate etc, but it had the basic functions atleast.
    Now, that got me curious to get a proper dive watch myself. Though, I know absolutely nothing about what to look for.
    I'm only into mechanical watches otherwise, but I'm guessing it's difficult to find a mechanical one that would give me all the features listed above :P so I'm trying to be open minded. I'm not keen to put a fortune away since I'm not diving that often, so a price between $250-750 perhaps. What's your recommendations? Any particular brands and/or models to check out, or perhaps some to stay away from? :)
    aSoder,

If your'e really set on buying a watch with a depth gauge, just FYI, new depth gauge watches usually cost more than a good dive computer. Quite a few dive watch models without a depth gauge that I've seen will cost more than a good dive computer. If you're looking to dive your watch, I recommend watches that are rated to ISO 6425, however this will only apply to certain watches manufactured after that standard was released in 1996. If the marking on the dial reads "DIVER'S" along with a specified depth in meters or whatever, then it's probably ISO 6425, but double check. If you can't find an old ISO 6425 watch that you like, I recommend watches that are rated as "helium safe" (either with a helium release valve or a case that's impervious to penetration of helium molecules). You probably won't use it for its purpose of saturation diving, but at least you'll know that your watch was designed to withstand the greater depths of saturation diving. The reason I say this is because I've come across some off-name "dive watches" that are claimed to be "Water Resistant to 300 meters" but the seller warns against diving it past 30 meters! This shouldn't apply too much in your price range though, but just beware. Even if you don't get a helium safe or ISO 6425 watch, as long as you stick to the well-known brands and models that are known to be good for diving, including some obscure brands known to members of this forum, you should be ok. Other members can help you in your search. You can buy a lot of decent dive watch with $250 to $750. Good luck. I hope this helps.
    aSoder likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrNYC View Post
    aSoder,

If your'e really set on buying a watch with a depth gauge, just FYI, new depth gauge watches usually cost more than a good dive computer. Quite a few dive watch ...
    aSoder,

One more thing. I haven't been specifically shopping around for one, but I have yet to come across a depth gauge watch that measures as deep as a real wrist-mounted depth gauge or even the cheapest dive computers, e.g. Cressi, Velo 1, Zoop, etc. At least one of Citizen's models measures to 260 Feet or 80 m, which is plenty for most divers anyway. Please keep this in mind if you're shopping around for a depth gauge watch.
    aSoder likes this.

Banned

I've had an Aqualand for 27 years. They're very good watches.

Quote Originally Posted by aSoder View Post
    ... watch with an built in dive computer. It was a Citizen *something* quartz watch, which logged the same stuff as the ordinary dive computer did...
    Here's one for 130 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008579376/ref=as_at?tag=geapat-20&linkCode=as2&
    aSoder likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrNYC View Post
    How do we edit in this forum? Sorry, it's a depth gauge watch-- not a computer.
    aSoder likes this.

Thank you all for the great input you provided! Never get disappointed when posting on these forums :)

WatchNRolla: Your Citizen is really nice, perhaps that's the type of watch I will end up with :)

Narc'd: I really like the mechanical dive watches in that style, especially the Seiko watches (or the more pricey Omegas in the same style ofc). Though I'm not sure if they give me the data I want when diving, I would still need a (boring) dive computer to go on the side then. The mechanical depth gauge is a really cool piece, but there has always been one of those connected to my air supply gauge when I've been diving - so that would probably just be cool gimmick.

ZephyrNYC: Yeah I've read that the ISO 6425 is something to look for if you're not certain weather the watch is suitable to dive with or not. The other tips was new for me though, will add those to my search criterias :) Regarding depths, I wont be diving any deeper than 40m so that shouldn't be any problem.
    Regarding your tip, no problem that it just had a depth gauge - although, if I would go for a watch like that I would probably go for a mechanical one.

Rallyfan13: Wow that's a while, seems like they could work for quite some time then :)

If focusing on quartz watches with built in dive computers, all tips seem to point to Citizen watches. Are these the obvious alternative in this price range or are there any other manufacturers that could be worth checking out?
    Last edited by aSoder; January 21st, 2016 at 09:46.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information