• 2 Post By EPK
  • 1 Post By Nokie
  • 2 Post By BrianMcKay
  • 4 Post By euro-rs
  • 1 Post By MacInFL
  • 1 Post By MacInFL

Thread: Rediscovering my SKX009

Rediscovering my SKX009

Due to family coming to visit and stay this week, packed up and stored all my watches. Partially to protect them from two young grandchildren and secondly, no need to advertise vices !

Anyways, set aside my SKX009 on an Uncle Seiko president/endmill bracelet for a couple of weeks of continuous wear. Reason for that choice was, spending lots of time in the pool, it is an "every day" sort of watch, meaning that it is versatile and also not an expensive watch so no concern if it get's a ding or scratch. About the 3rd day in, thought to myself, "Hey, forgot how nice a watch this is". After several more days of wear, a deep respect began to set in for what a great watch that Seiko created.

There are many reasons why the SKX is considered a classic. For me, it is so versatile, looks great no matter what I am wearing, rugged/practical, extremely comfortable to wear (outstanding case work), perfect size/dimensions and one of its virtues is that you can dress it up or down and it doesn't look unbalanced. Here's what I mean, if you are strictly utilitarian, put it on a rubber or perlon strap and it is ready to handle just about any physical abuse that comes its way. It has that classic Seiko diver look (and exceptionally comfortable) on an OEM Jubilee. Plus it has that rare ability to go to the next level on a quality bracelet such as a president/endmill, meaning that you can take a $175 watch, invest another $75 in a bracelet and it looks like a $350 watch...few watches can pull that off.

About the only aspect of the watch that could be upgraded is the 7S26 movement but even then, that is one of the SKX virtues. The movement is legendary for its ruggedness and reliability. Like most 7S26 movements, my SKX009 is position sensitive which I use to keep the watch within 1-2 SPD accuracy, "doing the dance". After achieving a reasonably "full" charge, mine will gain 3-4 seconds thru the day while wearing. I leave it "crown down" overnight which pulls 3-4 seconds. Net result after setting it a week ago, it is currently running 2 seconds fast.

Oh yes, if you look closely at the photos below, you will see that the dial and chapter ring are slightly misaligned but suppose some would say that means it is authentic Seiko SKX!

To wrap this up, I am an unrepentant dive watchaholic and have a lot of divers. I have other divers that are better watches or that I may like more but can't think of another diver at this price that offers so much. With some experience under my belt now, I can say that if the SKX009 were my only diver I would not feel deprived at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

duc, Palmettoman, Darwin and 9 others like this.

EPK

Re: Rediscovering my SKX009

I have recently fallen back in love with mine as well. It maintains 3-4 seconds per week which is hard to believe. I dont mind that it doesnt hack but the lack of hand winding is an annoyance at times.

I have a new bezel on order and plan to use a blue ceramic insert that I've had for a little while now. I may ask Santa for a new bracelet but the stock Jubilee is so comfortable I'm not sure that I will go that route.

It isnt perfect but there's something about it that makes me reach for it regularly. I've been wearing it and my modded Vostok exclusively with the exception of my Casio with alarm at night. That means 3 rather inexpensive watches see use and the others sit. I'm pretty content with that as well.

Cheers and enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    ck2k01 and MacInFL like this.

I have the exact some watch on the exact same bracelet and it is rapidly becoming my favorite watch as well. Great as a long term watch.

Wears great, accurate, awesome lume, cool bezel, cheap to replace.....what's not to like.
    EPK likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I bought a new SKX 173, removed its bracelet which pulled my arm's hairs, and enjoyed wearing daily around the world for eleven years. Some Sundays I'd put on a Skagen watch before going to church.
    I had to turn back the time one minute each month. When I advanced the date each month, I set the time back 1 or 2 minutes.
    EPK and Seiko Madness like this.

It's funny how we can all go bonkers buying the higher end dive watches -- but when it comes down to it, Seiko makes a pretty nice sub-$500 watch that never seems to go out of style.
    Steve
    Texas Hill Country

Quote Originally Posted by euro-rs View Post
    It's funny how we can all go bonkers buying the higher end dive watches -- but when it comes down to it, Seiko makes a pretty nice sub-$500 watch that never seems to go out of style.
    Exactly. Everything just "works". I have nicer and more expensive divers but will always have a place in my collection for this watch. Funny thing, if you browse enough youtube clips, you will find many other much more serious collectors (talking watches that run > $10K) and they will almost invariably have an SKX, especially the SKX009, in their collection.
    BrianMcKay likes this.

100% agree...overlooked the skx009 for a long time

mine just landed and it looks much different (better) in person.

Quote Originally Posted by EPK View Post

... I may ask Santa for a new bracelet but the stock Jubilee is so comfortable I'm not sure that I will go that route.

I'm a big fan of the Seiko OEM Jubilee, too. When I first started collecting, it was my "go to" bracelet for an SKX. The look is "Classic Seiko", reasonably priced and it is extremely comfortable the way it just seems to wrap around your wrist. I never had a problem with hair pulling that some mention. Always thought I would keep at least one SKX on Jubilee but that all changed after I acquired the Uncle Seiko President. It simply took the SKX009 to another level and, after awhile, realized there was no going back. I eventually upgraded my other SKX and currently have 4 or 5 spare Jubilee's setting on the shelf. Suppose I should list them over on the sales forum but will still likely keep one just in case I want to go "Classic" at times. "First World" problems...

Which underscores previous comments, one of the SKX primary virtues is its versatility and it looks great on just about everyone. The dimensions and aesthetics are such that just about anyone can wear this watch and it looks gangbusters! Much better than its price would suggest.
    EPK likes this.

I have never owned a Seiko, I definitely need to add one to the collection, they have such a strong fan base!

Thread Information