Seamaster 300M
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By slorollin
  • 2 Post By MX793
  • 2 Post By NC_Hager626

Thread: Seamaster 300M

Seamaster 300M

I finally broke down a couple days ago and purchased my first watch of this caliber. I got the new Omega Seamaster 300M with the black dial. Question. What time does your date change over? Mine is pretty abruptly at 12:18. I feel like that’s a little further off from midnight than it should be. Is that something I should be concerned about? Or is it normal? When I first got the watch I was excited and not thinking I cycled through the dates with the hour hand just reaching 8 and now I’m paranoid that I’ve caused damage. I’m driving myself crazy about it.

Re: Seamaster 300M

Plus or minus one or two minutes is kinda acceptable but a chronometer of that grade take it back. ESP if you purchased at full retail. I’d also bring this to the Omega forum. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Yes you have ruined your watch. If you send it to me quickly enough there may yet be hope.
    BrianMcKay and Sharksmile like this.
    The great Confucius said that he would rather be a profound political economist than chief of police.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

~8 o'clock should not be in the danger zone of damaging the date change complication, though your user manual will make it clear what hours to avoid using the quickset function in.

Additionally, if you damaged the date change complication by using it at the wrong time, the result is that the date change doesn't work at all, not that it happens a few minutes later than it should. Changing the date during the "danger zone" hours risks breaking a tooth off of the mechanism, which results in the date wheel not being turned at all. Also, using the quickset in the "forbidden" hours is not guaranteed to damage your movement. Lower end, Japanese movements are most prone to damage because they use plastic gears in the date mechanism, but even these have some protective measures to avoid breaking if someone accidentally uses the quickset at the wrong time once or twice. Swiss movements tend to use metal gears, which are more robust and less likely to be damaged, but could still be if you habitually use the quickset at the wrong time.

Doesn't sound like your watch was damaged in any way. Does seem like whomever put the hands on it didn't have them lined up particularly well, particularly for a watch of Omega's reputation.
    BrianMcKay and EHV like this.