Silver Archetype One Hands-on Amateur Review - 5513/5517 Milsub Homage (Pic Heavy)
Like Tree170Likes

Thread: Silver Archetype One Hands-on Amateur Review - 5513/5517 Milsub Homage (Pic Heavy)

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Silver Archetype One Hands-on Amateur Review - 5513/5517 Milsub Homage (Pic Heavy)

First, please excuse my amateur photo skills (fingerprints, dust, etc.) and my unprofessional review because I am not a pro – just a WIS. And I have nothing to do with Silver Watch Company.

I started following this project close to the beginning. I’ve always been on the hunt for a milsub homage that didn’t stray too far from the original. As I’m sure everyone knows – there’s tons of sub homages out there. So, why would I be interested in this one?

Well, let’s start at my beginning…I owned a Rolex 116610, Steinhart OVM and Pan Am, Squale Vintage Maxi and Pan Am, several modded Invicta 8926s, a Kemmner 007 and a MKii Key West. I have flipped them all along the way. I have since stayed away from sub homages for years but any time a new one pops up – I still check it out…just in case. But usually I’m instantly put off by the catalog case/parts or idiotic logo/text on the dial or some design element that strayed too far from the original. Plus, IMHO, the milsub was the best looking sub of them all, but no one ever got an homage “right.” And then I stumbled across the Silver project. I felt like this Silver one was different but I was still ready for some off putting design to push me away and help me save my $$$. But it didn’t happen. So, I’m in for 2 – the serif with aluminum bezel and a blue with the 15 minute bezel. These seem to be the closest remakes to the originals.

The Silver guys (Ian and Dan) mentioned on IG they might use “real” folks to review the pieces so I hit ‘em up. Luckily, I got in and a Silver Archetype One (A1 from here on) proto with maxi dial and ghosted ceramic bezel landed at my doorstep.

I don’t have any of my earlier sub homages to do any side by sides (so I’ll be going off memory) but I hear someone has a real 5513 to review with the Silver.

CASE/CRYSTAL:
    I don’t have digital measuring calipers just an old school one, but according to it – the A1 measures a tinge under 40mm across and 47mm long. Height is a tinge under 13mm from caseback to domed crystal. All true to specs (I hate it when I get a watch and it’s off a mm or more). It wears true to size as well.

The finishing is very well done over all of the watch from the circular brushed lugs (like the original) to the polished case sides and caseback. No beveled edges here – just like the originals. Lugs are thin and slightly downward curved.

Vintage domed sapphire crystal with inner AR – fits the overall package well.

STRAP:
    Again, nicely brushed finish with polished sides and a beautiful taper from 20mm to 16mm. So, vintage-y! Solid endlinks here as well. Clasp is a standard flip lock with microadjustments. Links are screwed in. I personally prefer pins but I may be in the minority here.

MOVEMENT:
    Not too much to say here as it’s a reliable engine and I love love love that it’s a true no date movement - The Miyota 9039. So far, it’s been running +4 sec/day. I don’t know if they regulate them or not. I’m guessing not because I’d assume they’d mention it if they did.

BEZEL:
    120 unidirectional clicks with almost no back play and just the right amount of tension. I hope all production models are like this example.

DIAL/HANDS:

The dial is a deep matte black with vintage lume that lights up like a torch. The text is the right amount without nonsensical stuff. Their maxi is closer to the original maxi look (which wasn’t bulbous like many of today’s maxi subs; see first pic).

The hand are polished and the proportions look tight and the lume is also a torch.

THOUGHTS:

I don’t have any other of my subs to compare it to in person (yes, I am a serial flipper). But I have to say, this is the best milsub (or any other sub) homage I have yet to experience; everything has come together into a very cohesive package. It screams quality too – this is not your typical “new first release micro level quality” here - I’m sure MWW had something to do with that. The only other that felt similar on my wrist was the MKii Key West.

I didn’t order the ghosted ceramic bezel but I now see why it’s an option. It has a nice distressed look to add to the retro vibe but you know it’s a high grade ceramic at the same time.

My wrist is 7 ¼” and this thing is so comfy. It feels very light as well – maybe because it hugs my wrist? I’ll weigh it soon…EDIT: 140gms or 4.9oz. Wow. It is light. Btw - that’s with 3 links out.

If I had to nitpick – my only gripe, which obviously is not a dealbreaker, is the original 5513/5517 look like they had some sort of a thicker steel outer dial ring and a slightly smaller dial.

CONCLUSION:

I’m ecstatic that there is finally a high quality, well thought out, no-need-to-mod, comfortable milsub homage that stands out amongst the sea of subs available.

I’m not used to reviewing pieces so if anyone has any questions or wants to comment on anything I left out, please let me know!

Pre-orders for the first 100 pieces are currently closed, but they may open more spots if the demand is there. So, if you’re interested let the Silver guys know. Here’s their website for future reference: www.silverwatchco.com. EDIT: Guess there was demand…100 more preorder spots open 12/4/20178 at 11AM EST.

On to PICS:

The first pic shows the original serif dial on left half and maxi on right half. I had to look these up as I didn’t even know about these. But you can see the maxi hour markers are bigger but not by much. This is the level of detail that the A1 adheres to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"No ice in my drink, got enough in my watch..." -Juicy J

Re: Silver Archetype One Hands-on Amateur Review - 5513/5517 Milsub Homage (Pic Heavy)

Wow. Pics are huge. How do I make them smaller?

Re: Silver Archetype One Hands-on Amateur Review - 5513/5517 Milsub Homage (Pic Heavy)

Very nice , thanks for taking the time to review

In for a blue 15 min bezel myself , seen plenty of milsub homages but not really any decent Tudor blue milsub ones . Will probably pick up a black one at a later date as well .
    sriracha likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the write up and pictures. Looks like they have done a great job. I actually don’t mind that the pictures are big as you can really get the detail of the watch. If possible, can you also post a picture of the clasp with the micro adjustment?

Looking forward to a review of the blue dial watch as I ordered that one, also with the 15 min bezel.
    sriracha likes this.

A small red dot in Asia on the Earth's equator.

Nice review. Good job of making me wanting to order another one. Lol
    sriracha likes this.
    Timex | Casio | Fellman | Invicta | Rodina | Glycine | Bulova | Leyden | Richard Legrand | Alexander James | Victorinox | Fifty Four | Dan Henry | Tiger Concept | Tisell | Scurfa | Helgray | Nezumi | Hamtun | Seiko | Vratislavia Conceptum | Manchester Watch Works | Orient | WUS F71 | Silver | Borealis | Aevig | Citizen | Steinhart | Nth | Armida | Ball | Rolex

Thanks for the review. I agree, the larger pictures are actually better. The watch overall looks like a nice piece. The bezel insert doesn't seem to sit perfectly within the bezel. It protrudes above the bezel more on the 12 o'clock than the 6 o'clock. That's likely just prototyping issues, though.
    sriracha likes this.

A thing of beauty and it is calling me!

Already in for a 15 minute blue snowflake.

Going to have to pull a rabbit out of a hat somehow and get this one too. The OVM39 might have to give way.

How is the action of the screw down crown?

Some photos of the clasp would be appreciated too.

Thanks for the review. I for one appreciate the over-size pictures. The bigger the better.
    Bloom likes this.

Avo

Quote Originally Posted by acg2010 View Post
    The bezel insert doesn't seem to sit perfectly within the bezel. It protrudes above the bezel more on the 12 o'clock than the 6 o'clock. That's likely just prototyping issues, though.
    Maybe, maybe not.

Also, the lume circle on the bezel is not centered in the gray triangle: the circle touches the edge of the triangle on the right, but not on the left.
    Sharper Image moonphase, Ronda 708 quartz (my only watch for 20+ years)
    Citizen BM8242-08E Ecodrive, black dial, gold-tone case
    Citizen AP1042-03A Ecodrive moonphase, white dial, gold-tone case
    Sartego Ocean Master SPA27, yellow dial, Miyota 8215
    Christopher Ward C5 Aviator Mark I, black dial, ETA 2824
    Chinese Mechanical Forum 2011 project watch, moonphase, Sea-Gull ST25
    Casio G-Shock AWGM100B-1A, analog solar atomic
    Kadloo Scubamarine, black dial, ETA 2824
    Aevig Huldra, orange dial, Miyota 9015
    Makara Hawksbill Sea Turtle, bronze case, maroon dial, Seiko NH35
    Ginault Ocean Rover, black dial, Ginault 7275
    Boldr Odyssey, white dial, Seiko NH35
    Borealis Portus Cale, white dial, Miyota 9015
    Hamtun Neon, full-lume dial, STP 1-11
    Vratislavia Conceptum Pan-Africa, green dial, Miyota 9015
    Grails: RGM 801-PS-CE, GO PanoMaticLunar, ALS 1815 moonphase LE

Thanks all!

I'll post some clasp photos later.

The screw down action of the crown is smooth. No issues there.

The bezel insert does sit a bit off and the bezel pip is a bit off - I was told that these will be fixed in production versions. That's why I did not focus on those.
    acg2010, Techme, Dec1968 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Avo View Post
    Maybe, maybe not.

Also, the lume circle on the bezel is not centered in the gray triangle: the circle touches the edge of the triangle on the right, but not on the left.
    Yeah the aluminum doesn't seem to suffer these issues based on their instagram photos. Ceramic is not particularly easy to work with for bezel inserts, using it may have been a bit ambitious.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information