Sinn T2/ U1 comparison
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Sinn T2/ U1 comparison

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sinn T2/ U1 comparison

Here's a copy and paste from the Sinn forum, for your reading pleasure.

It is interesting to compare the U1 and the T2 together because even though they are similar, they are in fact very different feeling, very different wearing watches. Surprisingly so.

The U1 on bracelet feels robust. It is heavy, it is thick enough to be noticeable and with its flat sapphire crystal it wears like a diving watch should. On the wrist it feels strong, weighty, bomb-proof. The curved caseback is the key to the comfort of both the watches but the U1 has a large dome whilst the T2 has a smaller one.

Name:  IMG_20200204_180921.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  206.6 KB

I really like how the U1 wears. I have tiny, skinny, chicken-wrists but a preference for bigger watches. For a big watch the U1 is very comfortable and I don't think it looks too large on the wrist in person, though it looks pretty big in my photo below.

Name:  IMG_20200224_105148.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  156.8 KB

I love the lego-hands of the U1. They are iconic. I also really like the dial layout; there is a calmness about the watch. There is plenty of visible space between hands and printed indices which I really appreciate (although others might not). The lume is adequate, nothing more. Even on my new U1T it is still merely adequate. It can be seen all night long, but you might have to strain your eyes a little in the wee hours.

Name:  IMG_20200205_165757.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  117.8 KB

Yes, the lume is a little bit 'meh', but the watch itself is first-rate. It feels like it could survive a nuclear blast on the wrist and with a fully tegimented case and bracelet it is guaranteed to look good for years to come. When I wear it I can't help but look at other watches around me and chuckle with the knowledge that I could use my T1 to smash them into tiny pieces and still have it looking a million dollars. It is quite an emotional watch in that regard.

Name:  IMG_20200224_094853.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  189.5 KB

The lume on the T2 on the other hand is excellent. Really good. Maybe not Seiko-bright when fully charged but it lasts like a demon all night. The indicies aren't just painted on either, they are built up to be raised, composed completely of lume.

The polarising aspect of the watch is definitely the handset. I really, really like the minute hand. In fact, I think it is my favourite minute hand of any watch I've ever had. It is large but kind of organically curved. I am partial to arrow minute hands (not arrow hour hands - I'm looking at you Seiko tunas. Why have an arrow hour hand? Nobody diving needed to tell the hour at a glance so that they could rush to put the roast on for dinner. It's just silly) but less partial to really jagged ones. the T2 has the perfect curvey-sexy minute hand. I don't mind the hour hand but I think it could be about 1mm longer to balance the minute hand more. Still has that organic feel.

Name:  IMG_20200224_102427.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  215.0 KB

I realise the things that made me sell the watch when I last had a T2 are things that I don't mind now.

The first is the weight. The watch, on bracelet, is ridiculously light. It feels almost like a kids watch or a plastic watch on the wrist. That lack of weight makes it feel somehow more fragile. It isn't, but it can feel like it. It weighs less on bracelet than my titanium Bremont Endurance S500 (the watch against which the accuracy of all other automatic watches will forever be judged moving forward. It has had a variance of less than -0.05 sec per day for the last 3 months of daily wear. In that time it has lost about 2.5 seconds) weighs on a rubber strap. Plus it is 13mm thick. I have no idea how they packed 2000m of water resistance into a watch that light and thin, but they did. I don't mind the weight now. I did the last time though. Mine is keeping about - 2 sec a day.

The second is the dial. Not the hands but the prominence of the 12 o'clock mark and the slightly compressed feeling that I get from the whole layout. The U1 feels industrial, like a machine dial designed for a specific purpose. The T2 dial feels more organic. Looking at it somehow reminds me of a sea anenomie or a jellyfish. Don't know why, but it does. I feel pressure when I look at T2 dial, more rushed. I feel the opposite when I look at the U1 dial. It might have been different with the T1, having a bigger dial and case. It is important to note that neither the U1 nor the T2 dial seems threatening in any way. I could never wear a Seiko Monster, those pointed indicies remind me of teeth that want to grab and bite me.

Overall the T2 is great. It's a keeper. Yes, the clasp on the bracelet is pretty crap, but at least it is unobtrusive and hides well underneath a shirt cuff. It doesn't scratch your significant other when you give them a cuddle. It is the last diver that Helmut Sinn designed before his death and what he saw as the natural successor to the IWC Ocean 2000. There are some things that weird me out about it, but it is a wonderfully functional, amazingly well built little machine that fits my wrist like a glove.
    Last edited by johnnmiller1; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:05.
    Flippito ergo sum - I flip therefore I am

Re: Sinn T2/ U1 comparison

Has anyone else out there had one or both of these watches? How did you feel about them? Did you end up keeping them?

The U1 is a bit of a wrist full for us members of the skinny wrist brigade but I wouldn’t part with mine.
    sivart and mpalmer like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I owned a few U1’s and never found lasting happiness with them. I find them a little too plain to hold my attention long term. For a keeper I want better/more interesting case finishing than bead blasted and maybe some applied indices or some measure of depth and interest to the dial.

I mean like how the Pelagos has applied painted indices and the angled chapter ring. Something to make it more interesting to look at. You can make a tool watch that still has some depth and points of interest. Seiko is very good at this, and at many price points too btw

Last edited by Biginboca; 4 Weeks Ago at 19:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
    I owned a few U1’s and never found lasting happiness with them. I find them a little too plain to hold my attention long term. For a keeper I want better/more interesting case finishing than bead blasted and maybe some applied indices or some measure of depth and interest to the dial.

I mean like how the Pelagos has applied painted indices and the angled chapter ring. Something to make it more interesting to look at. You can make a tool watch that still has some depth and points of interest. Seiko is very good at this, and at many price points too btw
    My feeling exactly.

I've looked at a number of Sinn and although I surely admire their engineering (as an engineer myself) I always end up asking myself if I could really see myself looking at it for a couple of days or a week in a row on my wrist. To this day, the answer has always been "no."

I own a Pelagos LHD an several Seiko...so there you go :)
    BrianMcKay likes this.

I've had both the Pelagos and the MM600. Of the two my preference was the 600, I love the brushed handset and the lightness but it was BIG. That said I didn't feel that either fit my wrist particularly well. Do I wish the T2 had the adjustable clasp of the Pelagos - absolutely. Otherwise though, I'm pretty good with the T2's size and it is definitely comfortable, just disappears on the wrist.
    BrianMcKay likes this.

I have had a SINN U1 T for several years. I think it is the quintessential SINN and recommend it highly. I have not had a T2 so I can't comment on that model. However, any SINN is worth considering as they are great watches.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is a great photo, much better than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginseng108 View Post
    My feeling exactly.

I've looked at a number of Sinn and although I surely admire their engineering (as an engineer myself) I always end up asking myself if I could really see myself looking at it for a couple of days or a week in a row on my wrist. To this day, the answer has always been "no."

I own a Pelagos LHD an several Seiko...so there you go :)

My U1 has become my daily wear watch. I do have several other watches that I really enjoy wearing but the U1 has been my favorite for quite some time now. I think my other watches are feeling neglected..Haha....

Here it is just a few minutes ago on a Wrisky's military strap (Erika's knockoff)....

Name:  20200224_184247.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  2.63 MB

Nice, it looks good on that strap. Pretty understated.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information