WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Sinn U1 best choice?

2K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  theoilrigger 
#1 ·
Ok, so much for being done w/ buying watches. The itch is killing me. So I've narrowed it down to Omega PO or the Sinn U1. I've always wanted an Omega but hated the small crown on the SMP. The PO looks awesome, but is it the best choice?!

What is the best bang for the buck??? I just keep going back to the U1 b/c its almost $2,000 cheaper than the PO. All you Omega guys out there, sell on the PO... I have enough Breitlings, I just want to broaden my collection. Give me a reason to pull the trigger on a PO!

$$$ not an issue, but is the PO really worth it over the U1???

Off to work, have a great weekend!
Bo

#2 ·
Looks wise it certainly is in a different league than the U1... depends if you want a tool diver.. or literally what I would call one of the best looking all around watches with a great movt in it.. Like you I love the PO.. but don't want to spend the money for one... b/c I am trying to find something that I like as much as it for far less.

#3 ·
I have both watches and I personally prefer my U1 although the Omega is technically a better watch IMO. Mostly because of the co-axial movement, better Lume and better bracelet. I really do like the U1 a lot though and if I was forced to sell one the Omega would be the one to go. The U1 had such a great look and presence on the wrist it is hard to beat for a watch under $2k. All that being said you can not go wrong with the Omega PO as it is a classic. Is it worth the extra $800-1000(after discount) more than the U1...who knows:think:

So my advice is to buy the one you think looks better...

#4 ·
Interesting thread. I have had both watches and currently own a 42mm PO. The PO is hard to beat for fit and finish. It is a beautifull top notch piece and in a lot of ways a must have for a dive watch enthusiast. It is more of an all around watch than U1. It is an awesome timekeeper and really well built. I personally think it is worth the money. The PO is sort of unique in that it is an all around watch from diving to the office and everything in between. The U1 in a lot of ways is a must have for a dive watch enthusiast as well but more on the tool side of the spectrum. Built like a tank and very easy to read dial. Very clean. Tough question to answer but I think the U1 is maybe a little more value for the buck but the PO is no slouch either. Don't know if this helps.

#5 ·
buy both used. the price would almost be the same as getting a new po. I think the po is worth what I paid early last year for it.I don't think its such a great deal now even with the favorite ad discount. the sinn is worth its asking price at the moment. I think before it was under valued.

#6 ·
You better pick one based on looks because both have great features, are 100% fully capable divers, and represent great values in their respective classes (tool diver and dress diver).

(Based on my personal experience owning a bunch of U1's and PO's I think you will have a longer lasting love affair with the PO, but of course you will pay extra for that.)

#9 ·
Bo . . . why bother, you already know what I'm going to say ;-)

Ok, maybe just a gentle nudge . . .

#10 ·
U1! The others are just jewelry.

#15 ·
buy both send hand; or if you're in the NY area, wait until November- Swatch holds its annual sample sale 11/13 & you may be able to gte a PO for a remarkable price.

And if you're interested in the best bang for the buck diver, get a Seiko Monster

#17 ·
i would have to say the PO. the U1 is one badass tool watch, no doubt. very tough and well engineered from what i've read on these forums.

but IMO, the PO is also pretty tough, has more style and is "more" timeless in its design. i do like the combination modern/vintage look of the PO.

#18 ·
I think they're both "worth" their respective prices so bang for buck doesn't really come into play.
Pretty easy to pick up n/m PO's for 1800-2200$ any day of the week also.
Both are excellent and just a matter of taste and preference I'd say.

#19 ·
Thanks everyone for all the the opinions! It shouldn't be this hard. This might be my last big purchase for awhile...

We're dropping a huge chunck of $$$ on a new house. So I want to make this one count. I still will be able to pic up some beaters here and there. You can't get enough beaters, thats probably when I'll pick up a Seiko Monster...

The U1 is so awesome, I actually like the Lego hands. The holes drilled through the lugs is such a smart application on any watch. Super clean dial, steel made from German subs, and I think its one of the best looking straps out there.

But everytime, I go back to the PO. Why??? :think: Maybe I need to go and look at another PO.

#28 ·
Thanks everyone for all the the opinions! It shouldn't be this hard. This might be my last big purchase for awhile...

We're dropping a huge chunck of $$$ on a new house. So I want to make this one count. I still will be able to pic up some beaters here and there. You can't get enough beaters, thats probably when I'll pick up a Seiko Monster...

The U1 is so awesome, I actually like the Lego hands. The holes drilled through the lugs is such a smart application on any watch. Super clean dial, steel made from German subs, and I think its one of the best looking straps out there.

But everytime, I go back to the PO. Why??? :think: Maybe I need to go and look at another PO.
You looking at the 45mm PO or 42mm...? Honestly with your collection.. here is what I would do.. flip a brietling or other "dressy", then get the PO to replace it and the Sinn for the tool... Probably the best of both worlds... but it would mean you flip 1 out.. to get the PO and Sinn in..

#20 ·
First, congrats on the new house.

I have a U1 and it is awesome. I see a PO in my future also. Really tough call, but as others have mentioned, it's kind of a "tool" or "dress" diver question. Unless of course one of them really speaks to you (that would be the U1 for me, and I'm still hooked on it's siren song). It seems from your posts the PO may be doing just that.

I would also echo the earlier suggestions about looking for lightly owned near mint on the sales forum. I have picked up a couple of nice watches that way and could not be more pleased.

I would also mention you are much less likely to run into another U1 wearer than a PO, if the "unique" factor has any weight in your decision.

Good luck and let us know. :-!

#21 ·
Thanks Steve, actually, the "dress" diver look is one of my turn offs. (Sorry Alex, shiny dive watches aren't practical... I know you love your PO!) I mean heck, I buy a Breitling SO and the 1st thing I do is completely give it a brushed finish! Now it looks like a SOP w/ an orange dial. I'm banging some ideas around, looking at old posts. Not sure what the final decision will be.

How are things back in my old home town? I'm actually a graduate of Brandon High, Go Eagles!!!

#22 ·
Im not really one for VS. threads, but this one tricked me into reading it.

For a guy with many Breitlings who wants to broaden his collection, I think a U1 would be the best choice, just to add some bare bones tough.

A PO would be awsome, but it sounds like a U1 would be the best way to broaden a collection.

#23 ·
go look at the divers photo gallery. theres plenty in there. there are other alternatives to the sinn u1 for a tool diver. I'm partial to the U1 but there are plenty of others to consider if partial bling is off the table.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.