WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Tissot Seastar 1000 Review (2011 Edition)

141K views 106 replies 63 participants last post by  Skip9766 
#1 ·

Reference: T066407A

Hi everyone, this is my first watch review, so bear with me. I've wanted to get a Tissot for a while now, but never really got around to deciding on one - that is until I saw pictures of the new Seastar 1000 (plus I love divers). Originally, I wanted the chronograph version, but it would most likely be too big for me at 48mm. Also, the chronograph's movement is the C01.211, which is newer and has a slower beat per minute. It is found in a few other chronographs in Tissot's lineup however. So I decided to get the standard Seastar which still looks amazing. I waited a good while for it to be released, but as I waited, I found no reviews or even anyone else having it for that matter. Luckily, I stumbled onto the watch itself the other day at my local AD and bought it yesterday. There seems to be a lot of interest in this watch, so I thought I'd give a shot at doing a review. This is my second diver after the Orange Monster, so that's my only real reference point. I won't bore you with the details of the packaging. It comes with the typical Tissot box which I think is excellently presented. Now on to the watch itself - my first Tissot.

My measured dimensions
Bezel: 42mm
Bezel + Crown: 46mm
Thickness: 12.4mm
Lug size: 19mm

Features:
Sapphire crystal
300m WR
Helium escape valve
ETA 2824-2

Bezel

I really like what Tissot did with the design. The last Seastar had a much thicker bezel. This new one looks thin with respect to the rest of the face. I like how the numbers and markings on the bezel are not printed on, but are actually raised. It is unidirectional with 60 clicks. The clicks feel solid and secure. I noticed the pip is hair off centre, but this is being very picky.

Face

I got the black version with the blue seconds hand, but there are other colour combinations (the dealer I got it from only had this one, lucky for me). Personally, I need the date complication in my watches and I love how Tissot made it blend in with the lume marker on the right. People seem to love or hate the hands on this one, but I think they give the watch a unique look compared to other divers. The baby blue seconds hand adds just the right touch of colour. I'm not sure why they blunted the ends of the hands though. It may be hard to see, but there is an inner circle that is slightly depressed, giving the face some extra dimension.

Crystal

The domed crystal of the last Seastar is gone and is replaced with a flat sapphire crystal. I heard reflections were quite bad on the older model. I still think the new one's crystal would have benefited from an anti-reflective coating on the inside. When I looked closely, the crystal is actually raised above the bezel by about 0.5mm, so the bezel isn't really protecting it.

Lume

The lume seems decent, but not spectacular. Mind you, I have the Orange Monster which has legendary lume, so most watches are dim compared to it. There is a bluish tint to the lume which adds a touch of class compared to the typical green.

Case and Crown

The case is finished with a mixture of brushed and polished surfaces. On the left, you can see the helium escape valve. The "He" on the centre is a nice touch. On the right, we have the screw down crown with the signature "T" and crown guards. It unscrews smoothly, but it is trickier screwing it back down since that direction winds the movement. I do like the shape of the crown itself and it's easy to grip. Overall, the case is very nice, but I do wish the lugs were drilled through.

Movement

It uses the workhorse ETA 2824-2, so what can I really say? It has the typical hack and wind capabilities of this movement. I have to say, it's nice to have a diver with an exhibition case. As much as I like the designs and pictures on solid casebacks, I like to see what's happening inside even if it isn't super decorated. The rotor has nice Geneve stripes and printed at the bottom is the old Seastar logo and a scuba diver. These are nice touches. Sometimes it looks like the diver is swimming when it rotates. I haven't had it long enough to comment about the accuracy.

Bracelet

I think Tissot listened to the complaints of the last Seastar regarding the hollow end links and fitted this one with solid end links. I am glad to report that they fit well and don't move. Overall, the bracelet feels okay, but not great. Compared to the rest of the watch, it is my least favourite part. Maybe it's because it doesn't feel as hefty as the Monster's bracelet. I'm not a fan of the clasp. It's stamped steel and closed by a snapping mechanism / friction. Personally, I prefer buttons. The other thing is the lug size is 19mm. Admittedly, Tissot does use this size for other models, but I still find it weird. The bracelet tapers down to 18mm, but it's hardly noticeable. I hear many people use 20mm straps without issue. I will probably get some NATO or rubber straps.

Conclusion

Overall, I really like this watch, and it's still growing on me. I consider the last Seastar bolder looking (this coming from a guy with an Orange Monster, lol). This is probably due to the thick bezel, the unique hands, and the domed crystal. I think this newer model is more of a dress diver because it is more subdued, which is not a bad thing at all. I wouldn't mind wearing this one with a suit because of how clean and classy it looks. This review turned out longer than I planned, but I hope you enjoyed it. Thanks for reading.

See less See more
#2 ·
i love this new seastar
love the transparent caseback

#6 ·
Thanks. I wouldn't be surprised if people modify these by changing the hands. I remember seeing some examples of the last Seastar with sword hands which looked pretty good.

Seems more solid and well made than its predecessor, and this is certainly a nice option for those of us looking for something a bit more streamlined and different from the standard "as-big-as-possible" school of design that prevails these days.

Nice pics. Thanks for the writeup, and I hope you enjoy the watch!
I actually like the lower profile so that it can fit under my sleeves. ;-)

#5 ·
Seems more solid and well made than its predecessor, and this is certainly a nice option for those of us looking for something a bit more streamlined and different from the standard "as-big-as-possible" school of design that prevails these days.

Nice pics. Thanks for the writeup, and I hope you enjoy the watch!

#11 ·
Seems more solid and well made than its predecessor, !
Do not really know the basis for this statement:-s...about the only complaint I have with the now classic Seastar 1000 is the lume.

It is nice tho to see the new seastar out in the wild...How about some wrist shots?:-d

I was in Santa fe for the weekend and the tissot AD that I was at did not have it. In fact they couldn't even tell me when it would come out.

the hands are what makes me a little resistant to be a fan at this time. reminds me of one of the Marathon models that came out with the infamous dog thingy..... hands....just something about those hands. :roll:

#9 ·
My "reviews" usually go "Here's my new watch. It's pretty cool. Sorry for the crummy pics. I like it" so you did really well.
Good looking watch with slight misgivings re: the hands.
Congrats!

#13 ·
Booo-hoo! Yet another flat sapphire crystal! <| Too bad, I was really excited about this watch when it was announced. Don't get me wrong, I love Tissot, but they took one of the best features away from the Seastar 1000, IMO. Oh well, maybe next time...

P.S. Great review! It's the watch I'm disappointed with.

#16 ·
Nice review! The Chrono (blue or orange?) is on my list! Regards!

#26 ·
Thanks. It's still a bit hard to find as most places I asked hadn't even heard of it. I bought the only one from my AD. They were even confused that they had it, lol.

I also want to see the chrono which wasn't in stock at the time. Even if the lug distance is short, the 48mm case would probably be really massive.

#19 ·
Solid watch and review!

I wouldn't buy one based on the current colour combos that I have seen. I am also not a fan of the bracelet quality they have - although I haven't tried this one on yet.

And why hasn't tissot updated their website yet - can't find this one on it.

#21 ·
Thanks for the review. It's a good looking watch for sure. I think the stubby hands may have to be an acquired taste and not my favorite part of the watch, but at least the minute hand extends far enough that the stubbiness will not impede accurate time reading.

I'm not a fan of the "Helium Valve" etched on the side, but not a big deal. And I wish it had a 20mm lug width instead of 19mm.

The "T" on the second hand doesn't bother me a bit, and I'm glad it has a flat crystal intead of domed (which I'd probably bang into every door casing I walked through).

Congrats and enjoy.

#22 ·
The "T" on the second hand doesn't bother me a bit
I can take it or leave it. Tissot used it on the previous Seastar as well as many of their other watches, so it's not exactly some terrible new design feature. Not everybody goes for the plain, sterile look that's often popular around here. And my guess is that Tissot's target market isn't the relatively tiny world of hardcore dive watch enthusiasts.

#28 ·
Thanks for a review that includes the warts, such as those blunted hands, which make no sense to me, and the subpar bracelet, as well as those good things about the watch. Great to have so many photos, too. I agree that the "He" is a nice touch, but HELIUM VALVE spelled out?!? You wonder sometimes what they were thinking.

#30 ·
I didn't realize this was out already. I wish manufacturers would say when they are releasing new watches. I've been trying to figure out the release dates for a few of the basel watches this year...

I like how clean looking this new one is. Kind of a younger PO or JLC diver feel IMO.

Didn't know a non sterile second hand was such a big deal to some people!

Thanks for the review

#37 · (Edited)
I personally like the look of the new Seastar! Ever since i've liked the Tissot brand the seastar has been my favorite model! I own the 660 chrono and its one of the watches that I wouldn't trade or sell, this new 1000 Seastar model would definitely be a welcome addition to my watchbox!! Great review!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.