Tool Watch for Travel - and a small wrist.
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Tool Watch for Travel - and a small wrist.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tool Watch for Travel - and a small wrist.

A change in careers has me out on the road more often than the past and I'm I'd like to get an inexpensive diver to take along - leaving my beloved Explorer 1 at home in the safe. Parameters below - any ideas?

- $500 or less
    - 40mm or less - 39mm or less preferred for my girly 6.5" wrists. The 36mm Explorer is perfect for me.
    - Mechanical preferred, but could overlook quartz if the package was perfect otherwise
    - Date: not necessary, but a 6 o'clock date would be awesome
    - Not a fan of the cyclops
    - I've always been a big fan of Seiko - but they seem to insist on massive proportions. But their rugged reputation/image is a big ++ for this need.

The Baltic Aquascaphe is as close that I've been able to find...but just seems too dressy for my current needs.

Re: Tool Watch for Travel - and a small wrist.

38mm Shark Diver
    sivart likes this.

A little over your budget but the Hamilton Khaki Scuba Auto looks good.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

A nice seiko prospex can be found within your budget and meets the tool watch definition.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Snaggletooth likes this.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

Poor little explorer missing out on exploring.., a tear...

FWIW my sub has become my travel watch of choice :)
    Snaggletooth and Rocat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SuitePhoto View Post
    A change in careers has me out on the road more often than the past and I'm I'd like to get an inexpensive diver to take along - leaving my beloved Explorer 1 at home in the safe. Parameters below - any ideas? - $500 or less- 40mm or less - 39mm or less preferred for my girly 6.5" wrists. The 36mm Explorer is perfect for me.- Mechanical preferred, but could overlook quartz if the package was perfect otherwise- Date: not necessary, but a 6 o'clock date would be awesome- Not a fan of the cyclops- I've always been a big fan of Seiko - but they seem to insist on massive proportions. But their rugged reputation/image is a big ++ for this need.The Baltic Aquascaphe is as close that I've been able to find...but just seems too dressy for my current needs.
    Well, if the Explorer fits you, then you have a guide to use. The Explorer uses a 48mm case. The Baltic you mention uses a 47mm case. This has nothing to do with the 39 - 40mm case diameter you mention. Or your 6.5" wrist circumference.

Wrists come in all sizes and shapes. Fit is a function of the flat area across the top of your wrist, between where your wrist starts to curve down on each side. The watch case's length, sometimes called "lug to lug", should fit between those marks, with all 4 lug tips making contact with your wrist. Lug tip contact provides stability, and helps keep the watch just above your wrist bone, and from flopping around.

Watch diameter is for visual appearance, and may be a preference. But fit comes first.Thats why there are people with 6.5" wide, flat wrists that can accommodate a 53mm Seiko Camel Toe, and why that same Camel Toe is too big for my 7.25" wrists.

Thanks to your Explorer and Baltic, it seems you have 47 - 48mm of real estate across the top of your wrist. The Baltic also helps us understand what price point you mean by "inexpensive" diver: around $500 - $600 USD. Is that correct?

You mention Seiko. Most Seiko divers use 50mm+ cases.

The smallest case Seiko diver I can think of is the SRPC3/4x's. These use a 43mm tonneau style case, commuted to 45mm SKX and 47mm modern "Turtles". these can be had for around $400, give or take, and there are several colors to choose from. Also a PADI, if you're into that.

https://wornandwound.com/review/review-is-the-seiko-mini-turtle-the-new-skx007/

But with 47 - 48mm to work with, you can also look at the classic tool watch: Seiko's 45mm SKX007. These can be had for $200 or so, and are real beaters. You could by a couple of colors and get some additional straps etc for less than $500.

That's all that comes to mind. But now that you have a case size to work with, just look for divers with cases =\< 47-48mm.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by nepatriot; June 5th, 2019 at 14:43.
    ctf0015 likes this.

Seiko SKX013 37mm
    Steinhart "39" series
    Helson as mentioned has 38s and 40s.

Having to choose I'd go with the Helson. Rock solid Seiko movements and more interesting designs, IMO. Odds are you will never see another Helson in the wild. I don't think anyone ever has. Seikos are everywhere.
    The Steinharts are pretty nice too.

Name:  IMG_20170812_074008491.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  2.61 MB

Name:  IMG_20170812_073856710.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  3.04 MB

Name:  IMG_20181010_125002983_1539535684737.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  2.87 MB

Name:  20181116_143459.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  1.41 MB
    Last edited by slorollin; June 5th, 2019 at 15:23.
    The great Confucius said that he would rather be a profound political economist than chief of police.

i vote for nodus contrail 39 or the upcoming retrospect2 as mechanical (regulated movements)/ citizen bn0118 for solar quartz/ scurfa diver for battery quartz
    Last edited by Nico Nico Nii~; June 5th, 2019 at 16:06.

Name:  IMG_0045.JPG
Views: 60
Size:  910.9 KBSKX013

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information