Ventus N5 (Brass Patina Questions)
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Ventus N5 (Brass Patina Questions)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ventus N5 (Brass Patina Questions)

I bought a Ventus Northstar N5 a while back and it just arrived a week or two ago. I chose the brass because I don't any watches that are that color nor do I own watches that will patina and thought it would be cool to own a watch that patina's. I know from a science perspective there are methods in which you can force/speed up the process using different types of temperatures, fluids etc... you can even effect the patina colors. I imagine the community would frown upon this so I for one want to let the watch patina naturally.

Are there do's and don'ts when it comes to letting a watch patina?

Re: Ventus N5 (Brass Patina Questions)

Yes. Don't do anything other than wear your watch. Brass tarnishes fairly quickly. If a pattern develops that you don't like, just polish and start over. You can bring out some highlights or even up some tones by rubbing with your fingers. Other than that, just let it go.
    Last edited by slorollin; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:08.
    Viseguy likes this.
    The great Confucius said that he would rather be a profound political economist than chief of police.

Quote Originally Posted by slorollin View Post
    Yes. Don't do anything other than wear your watch. Brass tarnishes fairly quickly. If a pattern develops that you don't like, just polish and start over. You can bring out some highlights or even up some tones by rubbing with your fingers. Other than that, just let it go.
    Agree. My N-6 is aging nicely after a couple of weeks. I don't like the idea of forcing patina. Just let it happen -- play a long game.

Craustin1, leastonh and ohhenry1 like this.
    Watches. Waits. Then gets more.... Watches!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by slorollin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Viseguy View Post
    Agree. My N-6 is aging nicely after a couple of weeks. I don't like the idea of forcing patina. Just let it happen -- play a long game.
    Wow really, that's cool that we can see results so quickly. Yeah, I never intended to force the process was more or less just curious how the community treats these metals.

I'm an "au naturale" patina guy, although I have force patina'd many of my watches using "ocean immersion therapy" which I find works really well
    Just wear'em I say.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    IronHide and rafy1 like this.
    "Socrates is dead, Galilei is dead,
    Newton is dead, Einstein is dead,
    Pantani is dead and I'm feeling sick too."

Quote Originally Posted by Viseguy View Post

I've had my N-6 for a couple of days and can't wait to see the changes begin. It wouldn't feel right forcing the patina on this though. I can see marks staying put on the case where it's been touched and normally I'd be wiping them off. I'll leave it as is.

After reading a few things online I have also just ordered a Cape Cod cloth, which apparently is good for taking the brass/bronze back to the original state if you're not happy with the patina.

Do you like your N-6? I'm over the moon with it.

Here are two that have been around a while.

Name:  IMG_20191108_080510340.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  2.94 MB

Name:  IMG_20191108_081036297.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  2.90 MB

Name:  IMG_20191108_081104557.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  2.86 MB

Name:  IMG_20191108_082159044.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  2.80 MB
    Last edited by slorollin; 1 Week Ago at 20:27.
    Craustin1 and leastonh like this.
    The great Confucius said that he would rather be a profound political economist than chief of police.

I'll offer a different perspective - using forced patina methods can also provide a fun way to reach a desired outcome, or otherwise provide a bit of a science experiment. Now, I say this as someone who has multiple brass & bronze watches in my collection, so there's opportunity to enjoy both natural and forced patina. Maybe consider buying a beater from Armida, Nethuns, Helson, etc and pick one to experiment on. If not, as mentioned above, you can always restore your watch with various cleaning solutions and start over.

I don't think there's one right approach, it's whatever you're comfortable with mixed with achieving a desired "look" which you can influence, or otherwise just let it do it's thing naturally. I can offer some advice, either way, always actuate the bezel and crown. I've had a few stick (mostly bezels) and they can be a pain to unfreeze. Some brass/bronze offerings use a stainless steel screw tube which prevents the brass/bronze crown from seizing.

Here's a small sampling of my collection - half natural, half forced using different methods/solutions to reach desired outcomes: https://imgur.com/gallery/1u9zxzf

Whatever you decide, your N5 is a great piece, enjoy it!
    Last edited by IronHide; 2 Weeks Ago at 16:43.
    leastonh likes this.

Recent Acquisitions:
    - 114060 no date SubC
    - PAM 692 BMG-TECH 3 day
    - Milus Tirion TriRetrograde

I love patina, but I'm not a fan of the "recently salvaged" look. To me, they look to need a scrubbing. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Red PeeKay View Post
    I'm an "au naturale" patina guy, although I have force patina'd many of my watches using "ocean immersion therapy" which I find works really well
    Just wear'em I say.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Your H20 is amazing! ...and why I shouldn't participate in this forum

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Recent Acquisitions:
    - 114060 no date SubC
    - PAM 692 BMG-TECH 3 day
    - Milus Tirion TriRetrograde

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information