Vintage Seiko dive watch..45 years old.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 2500M_Sub

Thread: Vintage Seiko dive watch..45 years old.

Vintage Seiko dive watch..45 years old.

Hello All...I need some advice. I was given a Seiko dive watch for my high school graduation in 1975. The watch is all original and still works but I wouldn't dare use it under water now. I am going to send it to the Seiko factory service center for service (tune up), Its a 6105.8119. My question is..the crystal is pretty scratched and hazy. If I replace it does it affect the price of the watch ? Also, I have trying to determine the value of this watch so I can insure it for shipping. I have seen prices as high as $2000 but I'm not sure thats accurate in my case but, who knows ? Any help would be really appreciated.
    Thanking all in advance.
    Carmine

I see that this is your 1st post so even though I am no expert on this specific Seiko I will try and steer you in the right direction.

I have bought and sold quite a few watches so I will give you my take on the value thing. I find the best way to assess value is to go on e-bay and put in the description of your exact watch like this "Seiko 6109-8119" and then go to the advanced filter feature and put in "Sold" and you will find 28 watches that meet your criteria. You can do the same and see what the ones sold for that match the condition of yours the best. You now know what that exact watch has recently actually sold for. Just at a glance I would say somewhere between about $1000-$2000 depending on condition & how motivated you are to sell it.

I have owned quite a few watches - 70ish- but almost no vintage watches so I'm afraid I may not give you the best advice on Vintage watches. I am familiar with some common wisdom though. Do some research on what should and what should not be "fixed". Sometimes fixing something actually decreases the value and at times in a big way so be careful about what you "fix". Generally this includes things like the dial, polishing the case, the crystal, the lume etc.

Good luck

Just thought of this....
    You might want to post in the Seiko forum. You might get more of the Seiko experts eyes over there.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Vintage Seiko dive watch..45 years old.

If it was mine it would depend on what I had planned for it as to the crystal treatment. If I was going to keep it then I’d have the crystal swapped but if I was simply getting it ready to sell I’d consider keeping the original one. Of course, that depends on just how bad the crystal was.
    As for the insurance value for shipping I’d go with the highest “sold” you can find.

Re: Vintage Seiko dive watch..45 years old.

DO NOT SEND IT TO SEIKO!!!! They probably wont even touch it because they have no parts available. I recommend Jack at IWW or Spencer Klein, Spencer is not taking any work right now. Sure there are other trusted folks too and maybe someone else will add them to this thread. You have a great watch and deserves to be serviced by someone who knows what they are doing. By the way Spencer sells replacement crystals made of the same material Seiko uses, also there are sapphire crystals available as well. Hope you get it sorted out and enjoy wearing it.

Regards,

Ren

Here is mine with after market dial, hands, bezel insert and sapphire crystal.

hugof3C and Archangel FX like this.

Thread Information