What is the protective advantage a shrouded dive watch has over an un-shrouded one?
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: What is the protective advantage a shrouded dive watch has over an un-shrouded one?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What is the protective advantage a shrouded dive watch has over an un-shrouded one?

The obvious answer would be that a shrouded one protects the rotating bezel. But that is a bit misleading because not all of the rotating bezel is protected.

A much better protection for a rotating bezel is a dive watch with an internal rotating bezel, or to make an external rotating bezel much tougher.

So given this, are shrouds on a dive watch more a case of design aesthetics than usefulness?

Re: What is the protective advantage a shrouded dive watch has over an un-shrouded one?

A shrouded watch protects the bezel more than an unshrouded one does.
    Nokie, BrianMcKay and TheWalrus like this.

Re: What is the protective advantage a shrouded dive watch has over an un-shrouded one?

It looks really good!

Quote Originally Posted by askew View Post

The obvious answer would be that a shrouded one protects the rotating bezel. But that is a bit misleading because not all of the rotating bezel is protected.

A much better protection for a rotating bezel is a dive watch with an internal rotating bezel, or to make an external rotating bezel much tougher.

So given this, are shrouds on a dive watch more a case of design aesthetics than usefulness?
    Lee Rappeport

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________

PREVIOUSLY OWNED

Glycine Vacuum, Glycine Observer (2), Glycine Power reserve DLC, Rolex sub no date(1967), Rolex sub Chronometer movement, Bulova Accutron RR edition,
    Seiko Orange monster, IWC 38mm Pilot, Chronoswiss Kairos SS, Steinhart O1V, Oris BC3, Oris triple complication, Tissot Sea Star, MK II Seafighter, Seiko SNKF11, Steinhart Ocean 44, Steinhart Ocean Black GMT, Seiko SRP 777 TURTLE, Seiko SUN045 50th Anniversary Kinetic.

CURRENTLY OWN

Hamilton Barton (circa 1951), Seiko SBBN035 TUNA, and a $5.00 quartz watch.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like the look of a shroud but they do seem pointless, and non-steel shrouds are even more pointless.

Bezels are usually very tough anyway, and a few dings and scratches on them add to the weathered look of a watch—especially a tool watch.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.......
    Erion929 likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I'll bet you would get all kinds of responces in the tuna thread..

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Slm643 View Post
    I'll bet you would get all kinds of responces in the tuna thread..

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    Well, the Tuna shroud was designed at the request of a professional diver back then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Slm643 likes this.

Double post.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    The exposed parts of the bezel remain unprotected, though.

And if the exposed parts of the bezel do get damaged this may prevent the bezel from turning within the shroud due to any misalignment caused by that damage.

Thus you will have an unusable bezel.

En cas d'absence, je ne suis pas là. Si vous n'êtes pas là non plus, il n'y a personne.

2- It protects the entire watch from dings.
    1- it's an added shock protection to the movement. a shroud adds a buffer between it and the case, so, a shock to it will transmit less to the movement than a direct hit to the case,
    especially if made from a soft(er) material
    BrianMcKay likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information