What you consider the modern equivalent of the Submariner
Like Tree176Likes

Thread: What you consider the modern equivalent of the Submariner

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

What you consider the modern equivalent of the Submariner

Strictly tool watch, what a person sixty years ago would have bought a Submariner for. So, what would the modern equivalent be?

Tudor Pelagos, Citizen Promaster?
    6tffd likes this.
    Omega Seamaster 300m 2018 Blue
    Omega Speedmaster Hesalite
    Rolex Explorer
    G-Shock DW5600E

Re: What you consider the modern equivalent of the Submariner

so a nice, but not too nice, dive watch? Maybe a Sinn?
    Rolex 16600 Seadweller | DOXA 750T Sharkhunter | Seiko STO Turtle | GShock DW5600

So we are assuming this guy is no longer a tool watch?

solar g-shocker likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don’t think he is saying that your subbie can’t perform as a tool watch, but majority would not use it as one. I have the same watch but I don’t wear it to work on cars, shoot guns, etc. For me a modern tool watch would be a G-shock or similar type watch.
    ctlawyer, soukchai and Estilo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Msiekierski View Post
    I don’t think he is saying that your subbie can’t perform as a tool watch, but majority would not use it as one. I have the same watch but I don’t wear it to work on cars, shoot guns, etc. For me a modern tool watch would be a G-shock or similar type watch.
    What you are describing sounds to me like a beater.

Problem is nowadays- in contrast to OPs 60 year ago reference- all tool functionality of mechanical watches is obsolete given quartz, cell phones, dive computers, etc. These would all be the modern day equivalents if tool watches.

Semantics aside I still think the current 114060 is true to its original intent (having owned both the 14060 and 114060) - with the added benefit of a luxury interpretation. How you choose to wear it and experience it will define its “toolines”.
    KiwiWomble and Davidka like this.

Monta, they have worked hard to take what Rolex is and was and make a spin on that and make it more affordable. My other opinion is that it wouldn't be a single model or brand. That being said I think the extremely robust world of microbrand divers could be the new it. Nth, raven, halios, eza and loads of others.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I just dont think people 60years ago, or ever subsequently, bought a Rolex Sub to be a 'strictly tool watch' (unless you include the issued rare Milsubs). People bought their sub to be their watch - often their only watch - that they could wear for work and play - the Sub set the benchmark then and still does as a watch that could do it all for the lifetime of the wearer. It has now moved into the 'luxury market' and is a veblen good - but it remains a tool fit for purpose as a professional tool dive watch and every day anywhere wearer. If I could afford them, and found them, I would have bought both my sons a Sub for their 21st and they would never need another watch, whatever or wherever for the rest of their lives.
    EHV, DaveandStu and SOGDIVER like this.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Armstrong View Post
    Strictly tool watch, what a person sixty years ago would have bought a Submariner for. So, what would the modern equivalent be?

Tudor Pelagos, Citizen Promaster?
    Seiko MM300 Marinemaster, or recently Prospex series is THE tool dive watch for me. Current incarnation is Seiko Prospex SBDX023 / SLA021J.

You can also consider Omega PO 600mm 43.5mm case if you want to go premium.

Doxa, Squale and Sinn are few coming to my mind. For budget diver there are lots of microbrands available with some awsome watches to choose from.

Buy a new Rolex Submariner - then worry about EVERY SINGLE mark you get on the bezel, every hairline on the case or bracelet; worry about theft (or being targeted as someone who has $), worry about resale, wince HARD when it comes time to have it serviced - been there, done that!

I NEVER EVER saw a Rolex Submariner being worn by a diver in the '60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's - not ONE in 750+ dives and dozens & dozens of organized "Dive Trips". Hell, it was expensive back then compared to the alternatives - my 1st "waterproof watch" that I wore (and still HAVE) I got when I was 7 years old for a whopping $2.50 out of the Sears catalog. Nobody laughed at ME on all the dives I wore it (didn't even have a bezel) - the LAST thing anybody *I* dove with was worried about was their WATCH - unless they lost it or it flooded, in which case(s) they borrowed one from someone else who was in-between dives or who was "outgassing" nitrogen and taking a breather...

Having said all that, I think that any ETA-based dive watch is a good choice. Whatever cost $150-$200 back THEN (and THAT was expensive for a dive watch) computes to any of a bubillion Microbrands now - especially something that is quickly & easily replaced if lost or flooded...

Next time I'm down at Dana Point Harbor at the crack of dawn, I'll check to see what the outgoing dive boat charter occupants are wearing - I'll bet that I STILL don't see a Rolex in the mix! My guess is - something "plastic"...
    Mirabello1, EHV, Estilo and 7 others like this.

In 1972 I bought one of the cheapest serious dive watch available then, a 5512 two liner, I had appreciated the quality and efficiency of the Rolex submariner while in the Army. I have used that watch for work as commercial diver until retirement in 2003 and leisure after.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by kelt; 4 Weeks Ago at 22:15.
    Simon, VanAdian, Avo and 23 others like this.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information