What's Going On With The Halios Delfin..? - Page 13
Like Tree360Likes

Thread: What's Going On With The Halios Delfin..?

Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 487
  1. #121
    Member R.Palace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    3,748

    Re: What's Going On With The Halios Delfin..?

    Some people are not in it for the collectability, some just buy a watch because they like it.

    However, Rob I do have to agree with you for the most part.
    Darwin and emaja like this.

  2. #122
    Member Luminated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    3,943

    Re: What's Going On With The Halios Delfin..?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
    See, saying things like 1 person doesn't like the movement, knowing well that the statement is outrageous and wrong, is just silly. I'm not wasting hours and hours like many do around here copying and pasting links to prove silly comments are wrong. We all know it's wrong. There are many who don't care for the 9015 and if it interests you, you need to do the homework. Otherwise, we agree to disagree and we don't say someone needs to read more because they have a differing opinion and don't have time for a juvenile forum war over something so insignificant.

    Here is my logic. The Halios is Chinese. Plain and simple. Once you start slapping a Miyota in it you lose a big chunk of the WIS population who only give Chinese micros a chance because they have a Swiss made movement. The Miyota has absolutely no desirability in the collecting market whatsoever other than the fanboy culture on watch forums. I could live with the Halios being made wherever Jason wanted them made with the ETA, but not with the Miyota. If the Delfin is dirt cheap, as it should be, then I may buy one as a beater. I will not buy one as a collectible though because it has no value other than to WIS.

    I am actually a big fan of Halios. I'm not happy with the migration though. If he'd slap a Sellita in the watch, he'd be retaining a lot more collectors since they can exchange movements if they love the watch. As it is, you'll get a Miyota and only a Miyota it will be for the life of the watch. Maybe I just romanticize long-term watch value excessively, but the Miyota is just a bummer for me.
    If the supply of ETA has all but dried up and the only equivalent movement on offer is the 9015 then what do you expect them to do?

    I collect watches but I do so not based on its movement but because I like what I see, if you only collect a watch with a thought on its secondhand value then you really aren't a collector at all you are a flipper plain and simple. Thank heavens for Miyota and Seiko providing quality movements wholesale because without them in the wake of Swatch's decision these micro brands would all but disappear.
    Last edited by Luminated; June 16th, 2014 at 21:39.
    WatchNRolla, Radar1 and iceman66 like this.
    Hi everyone my name is BOB and I'm a WATCHAHOLIC

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    motherlode
    Posts
    4,512

    Re: What's Going On With The Halios Delfin..?

    I'll take a 9015 over a 2824 or SW 200 any time i have the option, I've had several 2824/SW200 breaks to ever make it a choice, if we are talking 2892 that's would be my choice and so far the Soprod A-10 is looking pretty good. The 2824 is a rugged movement but if I ever get another one I will never hand wind it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
    See, saying things like 1 person doesn't like the movement, knowing well that the statement is outrageous and wrong, is just silly. I'm not wasting hours and hours like many do around here copying and pasting links to prove silly comments are wrong. We all know it's wrong. There are many who don't care for the 9015 and if it interests you, you need to do the homework. Otherwise, we agree to disagree and we don't say someone needs to read more because they have a differing opinion and don't have time for a juvenile forum war over something so insignificant.

    Here is my logic. The Halios is Chinese. Plain and simple. Once you start slapping a Miyota in it you lose a big chunk of the WIS population who only give Chinese micros a chance because they have a Swiss made movement. The Miyota has absolutely no desirability in the collecting market whatsoever other than the fanboy culture on watch forums. I could live with the Halios being made wherever Jason wanted them made with the ETA, but not with the Miyota. If the Delfin is dirt cheap, as it should be, then I may buy one as a beater. I will not buy one as a collectible though because it has no value other than to WIS.

    I am actually a big fan of Halios. I'm not happy with the migration though. If he'd slap a Sellita in the watch, he'd be retaining a lot more collectors since they can exchange movements if they love the watch. As it is, you'll get a Miyota and only a Miyota it will be for the life of the watch. Maybe I just romanticize long-term watch value excessively, but the Miyota is just a bummer for me.
    Last edited by lexvil; June 16th, 2014 at 21:38.
    Darwin likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #124
    Member WatchNRolla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    416
    Posts
    2,496

    Re: What's Going On With The Halios Delfin..?

    Swatch isn't sharing. ETA's are difficult to come by, and soon will be completely unavailable to non swatch brands. The miyota is a solid, affordable movement which will allow many micro's to survive.
    Luminated likes this.












  6. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA- Tx.
    Posts
    3,600

    Re: What's Going On With The Halios Delfin..?

    If we are just talking in generalities without using technical reviews of watch movements and teardown reports from watch makers and first hand forum posts then I guess it just comes down to personal preferences.

    I believe Miyota to be one the largest and best producers of watch movements currently in business. I had read they are the largest producer of movements in the watch industry but this was a few years ago. I have nothing but respect for their movements and the 9015's I have appear to be quite capable movements. No complaints here. No issues not having the 2824 in my experience.

    I do not think Halios watches without ETA are any less of a watch. I agree that ETA movements carry more resale value in the current market. But, on the other hand, as ETA movements and parts become more difficult to source the cost for maintaining and replacing these movements is sure to inflate. I have read one reveiw by a watch professional over on TZ UK of Chinese mechanical movements which state they are near to the quality of ETA movements based on an actual tear down and inspection of construction and parts used comparing a Seagull to an ETA.

    And, I dont blame robotaz for desiring an ETA over a Miyota. I guess, given a choice I would choose the same if prices were comparable. But, that does not mean that the 9015 is an inferior movement or a poor movement by any means.

  7. #126
    Member Robotaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    13,594

    Re: What's Going On With The Halios Delfin..?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luminated View Post
    If the supply of ETA has all but dried up and the only equivalent movement on offer is the 9015 then what do you expect them to do?

    I collect watches but I do so not based on its movement but because I like what I see, if you only collect a watch with a thought on its secondhand value then you really aren't a collector at all you are a flipper plain and simple. Thank heavens for Miyota and Seiko providing quality movements wholesale because without them in the wake of Swatch's decision these micro brands would all but disappear.
    Totally a fair statement. I have no idea what I would do. I'm just stating a reality of making Asian-sourced micros and going with the Miyota.

    I've praised Halios many times. Jason is easily one of the best micro designers. I just wish the Delfin was coming with a movement that non-WIS recognize so that the value would increase over time. It may very well do that anyway because Halios watches tend to. When I heard about people saying they could hear the rotor thrashing around in the Tropik, it was a big bummer. I guess it's just me.
    _______________

    Disclosure:
    1. My posts are not shilling other people's stuff.
    2. I own everything that I post and paid for it with my own money.
    3. My opinions are not influenced by any form of compensation.

  8. #127
    Member Robotaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    13,594

    Re: What's Going On With The Halios Delfin..?

    Quote Originally Posted by WatchNRolla View Post
    Swatch isn't sharing. ETA's are difficult to come by, and soon will be completely unavailable to non swatch brands. The miyota is a solid, affordable movement which will allow many micro's to survive.
    I agree with that.
    _______________

    Disclosure:
    1. My posts are not shilling other people's stuff.
    2. I own everything that I post and paid for it with my own money.
    3. My opinions are not influenced by any form of compensation.

  9. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA- Tx.
    Posts
    3,600

    Re: What's Going On With The Halios Delfin..?

    The easiest decision to make in the watch purchase decision when discussing future evaluations is to just purchase a Rolex. Of course, it takes time to find the right one and a good amount of money compared to most micro-boutique brands. The escalating price of not just micros, but everything is making many decisions in this regard more difficult and does require a bit more soul searching than the $400 micro purchase with an ETA 2824. Many micros are reaching the $1000 mark or very near it and for $3000-$5000 you can get a used Rolex and maybe one in very good shape.

    Not to make light of a decision to purchase a 9015 (I have a few and like them) but, maybe the pivotal decision is whether you are purchasing a Halios for future evaluation potential or whether we need to start looking at micro brands purely from a design standpoint and sort of forget about potential future evaluation based on their ETA automatic badging which really evens the playing field when comparing to some of the bigger brands.

    When we saw what the Halios Puck and Blue Rings have done on the secondary market it does make one start to think what a great investment they can be besides nice looking and unique watches. But, with manufacture movements and ETA putting their foot down on movement availability you may very well be correct that purchasing a Halios with a 9015 may not offer the same potential for future evaluation due to movement choice. This is no knock on the Delphin and would not stop me from purchasing one.

    But, if potential evaluation is one of your primary considerations then an ETA or Selitta based watch may perhaps make more sense. For instance, many pieces from Oris and Certaina would be in a similar price point ( or within a reasonable additional cost) with ETA brand movement.

    It would not surprise me in the least if ETA made a strong play with their automatic line now that availability is diminishing to the general watch world by ETA. What that move is we will have to wait and see. That has been one of the primary arguments by ETA in their litigation that they are competing against themselves by being forced to sell movements to other manufactures.
    Last edited by Dragoon; June 29th, 2014 at 04:18.
    Teddyhanna likes this.

  10. #129
    Member Jcp311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,936

    Re: What's Going On With The Halios Delfin..?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoon View Post
    If we are just talking in generalities without using technical reviews of watch movements and teardown reports from watch makers and first hand forum posts then I guess it just comes down to personal preferences.

    I believe Miyota to be one the largest and best producers of watch movements currently in business. I had read they are the largest producer of movements in the watch industry but this was a few years ago. I have nothing but respect for their movements and the 9015's I have appear to be quite capable movements. No complaints here. No issues not having the 2824 in my experience.

    I do not think Halios watches without ETA are any less of a watch. I agree that ETA movements carry more resale value in the current market. But, on the other hand, as ETA movements and parts become more difficult to source the cost for maintaining and replacing these movements is sure to inflate. I have read one reveiw by a watch professional over on TZ UK of Chinese mechanical movements which state they are near to the quality of ETA movements based on an actual tear down and inspection of construction and parts used comparing a Seagull to an ETA.

    And, I dont blame robotaz for desiring an ETA over a Miyota. I guess, given a choice I would choose the same if prices were comparable. But, that does not mean that the 9015 is an inferior movement or a poor movement by any means.
    I beg to differ. In the tear downs I've seen the seagull 2130 and others leave much to be desired. It's not that they're all bad, they're just inconsistent in regards to QC. You can have some seagull movements that are ok, but others that are just plain sloppy.

    Comparison: Sea-Gull ST2130, ETA 2824-2, Peacock SL3000 | Watch Guy


    If I was running a boutique brand I'd stay as far away from seagull as possible, that is unless I was inspecting the movements before they were installed (impractical as most boutique brand assembly is done in Asia).
    Sic'em Bears.

  11. #130
    Member Jcp311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,936

    Re: What's Going On With The Halios Delfin..?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
    See, saying things like 1 person doesn't like the movement, knowing well that the statement is outrageous and wrong, is just silly. I'm not wasting hours and hours like many do around here copying and pasting links to prove silly comments are wrong. We all know it's wrong. There are many who don't care for the 9015 and if it interests you, you need to do the homework. Otherwise, we agree to disagree and we don't say someone needs to read more because they have a differing opinion and don't have time for a juvenile forum war over something so insignificant.

    Here is my logic. The Halios is Chinese. Plain and simple. Once you start slapping a Miyota in it you lose a big chunk of the WIS population who only give Chinese micros a chance because they have a Swiss made movement. The Miyota has absolutely no desirability in the collecting market whatsoever other than the fanboy culture on watch forums. I could live with the Halios being made wherever Jason wanted them made with the ETA, but not with the Miyota. If the Delfin is dirt cheap, as it should be, then I may buy one as a beater. I will not buy one as a collectible though because it has no value other than to WIS.

    I am actually a big fan of Halios. I'm not happy with the migration though. If he'd slap a Sellita in the watch, he'd be retaining a lot more collectors since they can exchange movements if they love the watch. As it is, you'll get a Miyota and only a Miyota it will be for the life of the watch. Maybe I just romanticize long-term watch value excessively, but the Miyota is just a bummer for me.
    I completely agree. I get snide comments here and there for my swiss bias, but you're absolutely right when it comes to resale value for the 2824 vs 9015.

    And if you've had problems handwinding (and subsequent "damage") your 2824, I'd get the lubrication on the reverse wheel checked. I've had several boutique brands with 2824's come right out of the factory with half dried up lubricant.
    Sic'em Bears.

Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •