why arent reversed bezels used for divers?
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: why arent reversed bezels used for divers?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    48

    why arent reversed bezels used for divers?

    The traditional bezel is like stop watch, that is, you can set the 0 where the minute hand is, and as the minute hand moves forward, it counts up and you can read how many minutes have passed since you set the bezel. A reversed bezel, on the other hand, counts down like a timer. If you want to set a timer to 20 minutes, you can set the 20 min mark to where the minute hand is, and it will count down and you can read how many minutes are left until the timer is up.

    In my opinion, the timer is far more useful than the stop watch. I find that I want to count down far more often than I want to count up. For example, if I want to cook something in the oven for 20 minutes, I can do that with a reversed bezel. But certainly for diving, it would seem that the reversed bezel is exactly what you want. I've even heard that back in the day when they actually used dive watches for timing the amount of oxygen you have left, they actually did use reversed bezel. You can still of course, use the normal bezel for keeping track of time, just like you could use a stop watch to cook your food even though it isnt really meant for that like the timer is. But you have to remember how long you were supposed to stay underwater, where as with the reversed bezel, you can just set it and forget it, and you know that as soon as the minute hand reaches the pip you need to come up. And you can look at the bezel at any time to see how many minutes you have left, where as with the diving bezel you have to do some math in order to find out how much time you have left.

    Now I understand that nobody actually uses them for that nowadays, they have special dive computers and the watches are more of a novelty than anything. But I still cant see many situations where I would rather have the normal bezel instead of the reversed. Certainly you would think that there would at least be some kind of a debate over personal preference yet you hardly ever see watches with reversed bezels. And when you do they are usually on flight watches for some reason. I feel like I am the only one that understands this, everyone else seems to look at a reversed bezel watch and think that it is completely useless.

    Last edited by T4keTheShot; December 10th, 2016 at 01:07.

  2. #2
    Aquadive & Dive Watch Forum Moderator arutlosjr11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    77469
    Posts
    6,226

    Re: why arent reversed bezels used for divers?

    It'd be an easier read if you throw a few spaces in between you words, turning said words into a few paragraphs.
    majikat, Ukal, lvt and 1 others like this.
    "My GREATEST FEAR is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them."

    Ariel S. -


  3. #3
    Member majikat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Perth Western Australia
    Posts
    209

    Re: why arent reversed bezels used for divers?

    Quote Originally Posted by arutlosjr11 View Post
    It'd be an easier read if you throw a few spaces in between you words, turning said words into a few paragraphs.
    valid point and it makes a lot of sense .
    Also you mentioned doing math underwater ! not easily done when your air is low and your Brain is suffering from pressure and lack of oxygen !

    Haha I can't even do math sitting on my couch with calculator in hand !😁

    Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
    T4keTheShot likes this.
    Grandpa ! when were you in the Navy ?

    " Arrr me lad , Twas back in the day when Ships were made of WOOD and the men were made of STEEL "

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    88

    why arent reversed bezels used for divers?

    I dive and I use diver watches instead of computers, just for the novelty of it as you say. And no, a reverse bezel is not better than a regular one for diving purposes. It just doesn't work like that.

    Cheers.

  6. #5
    Member Toothbras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
    Posts
    24,007

    Re: why arent reversed bezels used for divers?

    Quote Originally Posted by T4keTheShot View Post
    The traditional bezel is like stop watch, that is, you can set the 0 where the minute hand is, and as the minute hand moves forward, it counts up and you can read how many minutes have passed since you set the bezel. A reversed bezel, on the other hand, counts down like a timer. If you want to set a timer to 20 minutes, you can set the 20 min mark to where the minute hand is, and it will count down and you can read how many minutes are left until the timer is up.

    In my opinion, the timer is far more useful than the stop watch. I find that I want to count down far more often than I want to count up. For example, if I want to cook something in the oven for 20 minutes, I can do that with a reversed bezel. But certainly for diving, it would seem that the reversed bezel is exactly what you want. I've even heard that back in the day when they actually used dive watches for timing the amount of oxygen you have left, they actually did use reversed bezel. You can still of course, use the normal bezel for keeping track of time, just like you could use a stop watch to cook your food even though it isnt really meant for that like the timer is. But you have to remember how long you were supposed to stay underwater, where as with the reversed bezel, you can just set it and forget it, and you know that as soon as the minute hand reaches the pip you need to come up. And you can look at the bezel at any time to see how many minutes you have left, where as with the diving bezel you have to do some math in order to find out how much time you have left.

    Now I understand that nobody actually uses them for that nowadays, they have special dive computers and the watches are more of a novelty than anything. But I still cant see many situations where I would rather have the normal bezel instead of the reversed. Certainly you would think that there would at least be some kind of a debate over personal preference yet you hardly ever see watches with reversed bezels. And when you do they are usually on flight watches for some reason. I feel like I am the only one that understands this, everyone else seems to look at a reversed bezel watch and think that it is completely useless.

    I agree completely, so much so that I started a similar thread a few years ago about it. Makes total sense if you ask me (though I don't dive). Seems much easier to just look how close the minute hand is to hitting the pip instead of having to remember how much air you loaded in your tank
    T4keTheShot and yankeexpress like this.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    48

    Re: why arent reversed bezels used for divers?

    Quote Originally Posted by ddkalfa View Post
    I dive and I use diver watches instead of computers, just for the novelty of it as you say. And no, a reverse bezel is not better than a regular one for diving purposes. It just doesn't work like that.

    Cheers.
    would you care to explain why?

  8. #7
    Member TheWalrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)
    Posts
    9,067

    Re: why arent reversed bezels used for divers?

    Quote Originally Posted by T4keTheShot View Post
    would you care to explain why?
    Because if you've planned your dive properly you'll know precisely how long you can spend at a certain depth before you get in the water. When you're diving it's far easier to set your watch on the surface after you plan, and watch your time as it counts down to zero, then it is to remember how long you've planned your dive for when you're under water. The number 0 is, in other words, always easier to remember than some random number.
    tynan.nida, lvt and Mercury2wo like this.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200


  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    586

    Re: why arent reversed bezels used for divers?

    There are a couple of reasons, but the most basic (for me at least) is that the tanks don't have a certain amount of time in them when the dive starts. You don't start a dive knowing that you have X number of minutes of air to set your bezel to count down for X numbers of minutes. How much you are exerting yourself, depth, and a number of other factors will increase or decrease the speed at which you utilize your air.
    g.l.costanza and CRetzloff like this.

  10. #9
    Member yankeexpress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    31,286

    Re: why arent reversed bezels used for divers?

    Just got my first Countdown Bezel watch, perfect for timing soccer games, is also my first 7750.




  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    48

    Re: why arent reversed bezels used for divers?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Because if you've planned your dive properly you'll know precisely how long you can spend at a certain depth before you get in the water. When you're diving it's far easier to set your watch on the surface after you plan, and watch your time as it counts down to zero, then it is to remember how long you've planned your dive for when you're under water. The number 0 is, in other words, always easier to remember than some random number.
    you dont understand. That is the point of the countdown (reversed) bezel. that is exactly how it works. With the traditional bezel you have to remember some random number, where as with the count down bezel you just set it and then let it count down to 0. You have the 2 mixed up.
    lvt and Mercury2wo like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Divers with Sapphire Bezels
      By RNHC in forum Dive watches
      Replies: 15
      Last Post: April 3rd, 2016, 09:19
    2. Divers with thin bezels
      By saiko in forum Public Forum
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: March 30th, 2016, 01:30
    3. Divers with narrower bezels
      By sam.lashof in forum Dive watches
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: October 30th, 2014, 18:37
    4. Russian Divers arent always big
      By ill-phill in forum Dive watches
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: April 26th, 2011, 15:42
    5. Divers,do you think bezels are ok designed?
      By Bolaberlim in forum Dive watches
      Replies: 30
      Last Post: September 8th, 2009, 02:08

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •