Would you wear smaller watch? - Page 2
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Would you wear smaller watch?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Would you wear smaller watch?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGanzman View Post
    At 63 years old and with a ~7 1/8" wrist, and as a guy that looks at EVERY watch that EVERY other man I pass has on (and if a man does NOT have a watch on, I instantly feel superior to him - but that's a whole NUTHER Oprah!), one thing that I am particularly sensitive about is the size of the watch compared to who that watch is on. Yeah, we've all seen these virtual "wheel covers" on guys; clearly the men that wear THOSE watches have "compensation issues" (Paging Dr. Freud!). But to MY eyes, nothing fairly SCREAMS "Old Geezer" like seeing some dude in his 50's/60's/70's with some dinky sub-40mm watch on. Hell, you might as well put some black knee-high socks on with your too-short WHITE shorts and your Huaraches sandals - go ahead and COMPLETE the costume while you're at it!

Other than THAT, I have absolutely NO opinion on the topic...

Can't wear small-ish watches. Can't wear titanium either. I've had some big chunk-o-steel on my left wrist since Navy days. Small (sub-40mm) looks like I borrowed the wife's watch.. Ti feels like plastic. I'm just used to heavy.

This one was refined, elegant, a real "class" act. Really wanted to like it.

Found out I was NOT refined, elegant, or classy. Had to let it go. STILL miss it, one of the only "dressy" divers I've owned. Just too used to thick heavy tool divers.
    TheGanzman and BrianMcKay like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGanzman View Post
    At 63 years old and with a ~7 1/8" wrist, and as a guy that looks at EVERY watch that EVERY other man I pass has on (and if a man does NOT have a watch on, I instantly feel superior to him - but that's a whole NUTHER Oprah!), one thing that I am particularly sensitive about is the size of the watch compared to who that watch is on. Yeah, we've all seen these virtual "wheel covers" on guys; clearly the men that wear THOSE watches have "compensation issues" (Paging Dr. Freud!). But to MY eyes, nothing fairly SCREAMS "Old Geezer" like seeing some dude in his 50's/60's/70's with some dinky sub-40mm watch on. Hell, you might as well put some black knee-high socks on with your too-short WHITE shorts and your Huaraches sandals - go ahead and COMPLETE the costume while you're at it!

Other than THAT, I have absolutely NO opinion on the topic...

I’ve always enjoyed your posts but this one is quality and made me smile 👍
    TheGanzman likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Siberian cat View Post
    Recently I skipped opportunity to buy vintage Omega Seamaster. The only reason is the size of the watch - 35mm.

I had before CW trident 38 mm but sold it because it looked silly on my 7.25 wrist, so I imagined the Omega will look even smaller.

But now I'm wondering if my perception of the watch size has been distorted by modern 42 - 44 mm dive watches.

Do you have smaller watch in your collection?
    Respectfully, the size and geometry of one's wrist - as well as case design and lug design/length - play a huge role in what watches will work with an individual's wrist. The idea that an X mm case is universally suitable is flawed because there are too many variables in play. About the only thing that is universal is that most of us are seeking that "golden ratio" to our wrists, that watch size and shape that looks pleasingly in proportion to our wrists.

Having said that, I have flat, 8" wrists and have worn watches from 36mm up to 44mm (not counting the Frogman, which is in a category all its own). Personally, I find 36mm to be dissatisfying small on me, and ended up selling that one. The smallest I presently have in my collection currently is 39mm, and most are in the 42-43mm range. But there are people who have argued with me that I'm just being faddish, that there is literally no reason to own a watch above 36mm. Except, there IS one: I don't like how it looks in proportion to my wrist.

Bottom line, it has to look right TO YOU. What someone else tells you that you're supposed to like because it's "classically sized" doesn't amount to a hill of beans. If it looks to you to be too small - or too big - then it probably is.

Regards,
    Alysandir
    • Blancpain Bathyscaphe Chronographe 5200.1110.70B
    • Bremont Boeing Model 247 Ti-GMT
    • Casio G-Shock GW2310FB-1CR
    • Casio G-Shock Frogman GWFD1000B-1
    • Grand Seiko Snowflake Gen1 SBGA011
    • Omega Globemaster 130.33.39.21.03.001
    • Omega Grey Side of the Moon 311.93.44.51.99.001
    • Oris Aquis "Source of Life" LE 01 733 7730 4125
    • Oris Aquis "Staghorn Restoration" LE 01.735.7734.4185
    • Rolex Daytona 116523-WSO/78593
    • Rolex Submariner 114060

8.25" wrist and I prefer under 40mm.

I'm considering a 36mm datejust.

Here is a 43mm, that is as large as I'll go.

Sucker for a square Seiko 5....

No, I am frightened of a 38mm or smaller.

I’ve got several small watches (36 & 38mm) and the Chris Ward C60 38mm is the only one that I think looks a bit small on me.

Quote Originally Posted by DEMO111 View Post
    No, I would not wear a smaller watch, no matter how cool it was. I just would not be happy with the proportion on my wrist. I have 7 1/4" wrist and I have learned over the 30 years of collecting & using dive watches, size matters. 42mm diameter is the smallest proportion I am happy with. 43mm / 44mm is the sweet spot for me.
    I have same size wrist and I totally agree. Maybe at 56 my eyes are another factor because I just would not appreciate the dial on anything smaller now
    Tom

Sinn-UX GSG9
    Doxa - 5000t COSC Caribbean
    Tag Heuer- Aquaracer 500
    Zixen-Nitrox Vintage
    Citizen-Ecozilla, Promaster Aqualand
    Seiko - Darth Tuna, SRP 637, Coral Blue Sumo,
    Deep Blue - Flat Tubes T-100, Sea Ram Auto
    G-Shock-- GPW- 1100, Rangeman, G7900MS

I regret selling a few of my oldies...Aquastar Benthos was the only small oldie I could wear as it was a thick piece..my wrist close to 9" left hand wear..

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I have always enjoyed the 43-46mm heavy stuff, but just recently stepped down into (2) 42mm cased divers. They are growing on me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information