Would you wear smaller watch?
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Would you wear smaller watch?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Would you wear smaller watch?

Recently I skipped opportunity to buy vintage Omega Seamaster. The only reason is the size of the watch - 35mm.

I had before CW trident 38 mm but sold it because it looked silly on my 7.25 wrist, so I imagined the Omega will look even smaller.

But now I'm wondering if my perception of the watch size has been distorted by modern 42 - 44 mm dive watches.

Do you have smaller watch in your collection?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Siberian cat; June 13th, 2019 at 14:49.
    E8ArmyDiver likes this.

Re: Would you wear smaller watch?

I have a 7" wrist and my watches go from 34mm to 40mm.

Heck, here's a 23mm square Omega I really like.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

With a 7.25" wrist, I would have thought that a 38mm diver would look good on you. My wrist is 7.75-8" and I wear 40-42mm divers. My preferred dress watch size is 39-40mm, maybe even 38mm depending on how thin the bezel is and how prominent the dial looks.

You could certainly wear 36mm dress watches and I think 35mm would probably look perfectly fine. If that vintage watch is on the dressy side I think you'd be perfectly fine. If it's a vintage diver, you might want to go a little bigger, but that's up to what you prefer.

For reference on my larger wrist, here are some older and smaller watches in my collection. The Citizen is 34mm, the RW on leather is 35mm and the RW on bracelet is 36mm. The only one I might still wear is the last one. The others are now worn by my wife and daughters.
    Last edited by PetrosD; June 13th, 2019 at 15:00.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Smaller can look great if the band size, dial size, etc are well proportioned. I have the same size wrist as you but love vintage watches that tend to run smaller. All I can recommend is if this is a "Grail" type watch it at least up there on the list, get the bigger size. Otherwise that will be the glaring thing you notice everytime you wear it...

No, I would not wear a smaller watch, no matter how cool it was. I just would not be happy with the proportion on my wrist. I have 7 1/4" wrist and I have learned over the 30 years of collecting & using dive watches, size matters. 42mm diameter is the smallest proportion I am happy with. 43mm / 44mm is the sweet spot for me.
    TheGanzman, Goalie and DaveandStu like this.
    Dive watch fanatic since 1980

I have tried and I can’t. I have 8+” wrists and I can just get away with a 38mm dress watch if it has a large dial. Since dive watches tend to have relatively small dials to account for the wider bezel, they look particularly small on me.

It’s gutting because I love vintage divers. I only have two left, and that’s just because I’ve been too lazy to post them for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ChaseOne and Alysandir like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DEMO111 View Post
    No, I would not wear a smaller watch, no matter how cool it was. I just would not be happy with the proportion on my wrist. I have 7 1/4" wrist and I have learned over the 30 years of collecting & using dive watches, size matters. 42mm diameter is the smallest proportion I am happy with. 43mm / 44mm is the sweet spot for me.
    Pretty much the same for me... I'll go down to 40mm for the right design, but it *WILL* be on a bracelet at that size. 40mm on rubber look small on my wrist, sub-40mm?... going to take a really amazing design to get me to even look twice.

I'll wear 40mm to 48mm, but prefer 42mm to 44mm cases strongly.
    TheGanzman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseOne View Post
    Smaller can look great if the band size, dial size, etc are well proportioned. I have the same size wrist as you but love vintage watches that tend to run smaller. All I can recommend is if this is a "Grail" type watch it at least up there on the list, get the bigger size. Otherwise that will be the glaring thing you notice everytime you wear it...

Looks amazing - what kind of watch it is?

At 63 years old and with a ~7 1/8" wrist, and as a guy that looks at EVERY watch that EVERY other man I pass has on (and if a man does NOT have a watch on, I instantly feel superior to him - but that's a whole NUTHER Oprah!), one thing that I am particularly sensitive about is the size of the watch compared to who that watch is on. Yeah, we've all seen these virtual "wheel covers" on guys; clearly the men that wear THOSE watches have "compensation issues" (Paging Dr. Freud!). But to MY eyes, nothing fairly SCREAMS "Old Geezer" like seeing some dude in his 50's/60's/70's with some dinky sub-40mm watch on. Hell, you might as well put some black knee-high socks on with your too-short WHITE shorts and your Huaraches sandals - go ahead and COMPLETE the costume while you're at it!

Other than THAT, I have absolutely NO opinion on the topic...
    Monkeynuts likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Siberian cat View Post
    Looks amazing - what kind of watch it is?

Schiaparelli. It's from the late 60's and like many of the Lucerne skindiver variants. The bracelet was from Amazon labeled "engineer bracelet". I had it serviced recently and it runs and looks great. Sort of a Seamaster look. Thanks for noticing!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information