Yema Navygraf
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Yema Navygraf

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yema Navygraf

This just in this morning, the oft overlooked younger companion of Superman. I don't know how this slipped under my radar for so long. The Superman came to my attention some time ago. During my Superman quest I stumbled upon it. Is "Navygraf" French for Jimmy Olsen?

Name:  IMG_20190708_121139038.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  2.92 MB

Name:  IMG_20190708_120909429.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  3.12 MB

Name:  IMG_20190708_120946059.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  3.02 MB

Name:  IMG_20190708_121115906.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  3.11 MB

Name:  IMG_20190708_121036262.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  2.63 MB
    zaskoo, pinkybrain, Ragl and 7 others like this.
    The great Confucius said that he would rather be a profound political economist than chief of police.

Re: Yema Navygraf

39 mm x 12 mm, no date, $750. I like it. I assume the "in-house" movement is some proprietary 2824 clone?

*EDIT: looks like the in-house movement is something from the parent brand and not an ETA clone. It's a little wider and has 45 hours of PR.
    Last edited by pinkybrain; 6 Days Ago at 23:46.

Only issue is that it's not a no-date movement. I asked and they replied: "It is a date movement covered up by a no-date dial" Assuming it's 2824-based it would be easy to convert.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This is from their website describing the in-house movement. Doesn't say much but that they spent €3 million on its development. That doesn't sound like very much to me. It looks sort of ETA-ish, but they all do, lol. Your judgement is probably better than mine. It would have to be.
    My eye is continually drawn to the curved "Patent Pending" script, a very cool design cue, IMO.

https://en.yema.com/pages/yema-mbp1000
    The great Confucius said that he would rather be a profound political economist than chief of police.

I wasn't planning on spending any money today but this thread just cost me $700!

I handled a Superman a few months back and was really impressed and had thought about ordering one but it was just about too close to some other watches in my collection and I never really bothered to check back in with Yema to see what else they offered. This Navygraf is pretty sweet looking though and I really like the specs and it's just unique enough that I am not really concerned with it overlapping my other watches. The no-date dial with a date ETA movement in there isn't really ideal but it's not a deal breaker.

Here's an article where someone takes the movement apart - it's in German but google translate gives a more or less usable approximation: https://watch-movements.eu/blog/en/2...mbre_mpb_1000/ (it definitely confirms that it is not an ETA clone though)
    slorollin and pinkybrain like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Semper Jeep View Post
    I wasn't planning on spending any money today but this thread just cost me $700!

I handled a Superman a few months back and was really impressed and had thought about ordering one but it was just about too close to some other watches in my collection and I never really bothered to check back in with Yema to see what else they offered. This Navygraf is pretty sweet looking though and I really like the specs and it's just unique enough that I am not really concerned with it overlapping my other watches. The no-date dial with a date ETA movement in there isn't really ideal but it's not a deal breaker.
    I got sucked in while looking for a Superman. Didn't know this watch existed at the time. Why is a covered date an issue? Isn't that done frequently?

Thanks. After I commented I looked at pictures and noticed the balance cock goes in the other direction plus the movement is wider, so it's something else entirely. Too bad they left the date in but I still like it.

Quote Originally Posted by awrose View Post
    Here's an article where someone takes the movement apart - it's in German but google translate gives a more or less usable approximation: https://watch-movements.eu/blog/en/2...mbre_mpb_1000/ (it definitely confirms that it is not an ETA clone though)
    slorollin likes this.

I like it.

But what’s the “patent pending” on the dial about? Kind of strange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Simon and slorollin like this.
    Rotation: Casio (G-Shock GWM5610-1, F91W-1, A168WA-1, CA53W-1); Christopher Ward (C60 Trident Pro 600 Mk3 [black, 40mm], Mk2 [blue, 38mm]); Halios (Seaforth GMT [abyss blue, dive bezel], Seaforth III [sunburst grey, 12-hour bezel], Roldorf Seaforth [green/black, SS case); Monta (Oceanking 2 [gilt dial]); NTH (DevilRay [WatchGauge LE], Vintage Näcken [blue]); Omega (Speedmaster Reduced 3510.50.00); Seiko (SKX007K [mod with DLW parts: J dial, Deep Sea bezel, 007 Dual Time bezel insert, sapphire double dome crystal], SARB033); Squale (1521 TGV); Steinhart (Ocean 39 GMT Premium 500); Timex (Q Reissue); Zelos (Horizons GMT [meteorite])

Preorder: Hamtun (H2 Kraken [blue])

Preferred straps/bracelets: Fabric (seatbelt nato/RAF, chevron, sailcloth-style); Metal (oyster, jubilee, shark mesh, beads of rice); Leather (vintage); Rubber (tropic); Clasps (Glidelock-type, ratcheting diver extension, deployant)

Quote Originally Posted by ck2k01 View Post
    I like it.

But what’s the “patent pending” on the dial about? Kind of strange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly! And it's written in a radial manner when nothing else is. Kind of strange. My eye goes right to it. It's something different and unique to a bygone time. "Patent Pending" used to be stamped, embossed or printed on every other item you picked up. You rarely see it now. Maybe there's a story, probably it's just a designer's whim. I find it a point of interest that adds to the charm.

Edit update: Turns out it is faithful to the 1970 original model except the original had a date window. Maybe some were w/o dates, don't know. I do like that domed crystal on the original.
    Last edited by slorollin; 6 Days Ago at 10:28.
    ck2k01 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information