Luminor Case vs 1950 Case Durability...
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Luminor Case vs 1950 Case Durability...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Luminor Case vs 1950 Case Durability...

I currently have a 40mm 241 and I love it... Trying to learn more about Panerai... I searched everywhere and could not find anything besides a few comments. Are the 1950 cases less durable than the older 40mm or 44mm Luminors? The 1950 42mm is only 100m water resistance vs 300m. I am not the kind of person that buys a watch based on specs that are meaningless to my actual use but why are the 1950 rated less? Also some of the 44mm 1950 are only 100m but some are 300m? All the submersibles are 300m even the 42mm.

...Also are the older ETA movements more durable than the new "in house" stuff?

Asking because I wear my watches in water and beat the crap out of them. Looking at maybe a new 42mm but if they are not as durable then I may pass. I saw a few comments that the older cases and movements are better for durability but not sure if this is actually true or just speculation...

Thanks fellow Paneristi...

Re: Luminor Case vs 1950 Case Durability...

If the material of both cases are the same,they should have same durability

The WR is determined by the gaskets used,not the actual case shape

About eta vs in house,I donít have an in house movt pam that long,but Iím quite satisfied with P2002 as theyíre accurate and have long PR...yeah you can regulate eta movt to reach high level of accuracy but the PR still isnít that long

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Synequano View Post

About eta vs in house,I donít have an in house movt pam that long,but Iím quite satisfied with P2002 as theyíre accurate and have long PR...yeah you can regulate eta movt to reach high level of accuracy but the PR still isnít that long
    Agree with above. The panerai in-house movements have proven to be robust and durable; however, i tend to prefer the ETA ones myself, as they can be more easily serviced more broadly.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Synequano View Post

About eta vs in house,I don’t have an in house movt pam that long,but I’m quite satisfied with P2002 as they’re accurate and have long PR...yeah you can regulate eta movt to reach high level of accuracy but the PR still isn’t that long
    Yeah I get that but if one has a higher pressure rating than the other obviously something is different and not as robust... Thats what I am asking about... One guy who was a Panerai dealer said the new cases are inferior durability wise. Got me interested in finding out more. But very possible he's way over hyping the situation. Don't believe what you read on the inter webs... haha...

Quote Originally Posted by danimal107 View Post

Asking because I wear my watches in water and beat the crap out of them.
    oh that hurts !. hearing this kind of comment makes me cringe.
    why don't you buy a G-Shock and go nuts instead of abusing a $$$$ piece of Jewel ?.
    beside the point. i don't know anyone dives 100M let alone 300.
    The Emotion is Aroused by Something Marvelous. Gazed with Wonder.

Pink Floyd in Pilot Suits... oh, LOVE The Band.

Inactive

Yeah I get that but if one has a higher pressure rating than the other obviously something is different and not as robust... Thats what I am asking about... One guy who was a Panerai dealer said the new cases are inferior durability wise. Got me interested in finding out more. But very possible he's way over hyping the situation. Don't believe what you read on the inter webs... haha...
    Weird. I've never heard that...did expand on why he thought that? This is an entirely new perspective for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pj1369 View Post
    Weird. I've never heard that...did expand on why he thought that? This is an entirely new perspective for me.

Unfortunately it was a single post on a watch forum (not this one) and I forget where I even saw it... I thought maybe I'd find something more with research but not much luck. He stated the older luminors with the ETA are actually a more robust combo.
    pj1369 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony A.H View Post
    oh that hurts !. hearing this kind of comment makes me cringe.
    why don't you buy a G-Shock and go nuts instead of abusing a $$$$ piece of Jewel ?.
    beside the point. i don't know anyone dives 100M let alone 300.

Tony... I understand but I don't buy a Panerai to look at or wear only to diner... A Panerai is a tool watch. I want to wear it... I see no point in buying cool stuff to not use. I used to do that when I was younger and I found life is much better when I enjoy the things I like. Not just appreciate them from afar because I'm worried about using it...

That being said I am looking at a Scurfa dive watch to use for certain occasions even though quartz does nothing for me...

...And I totally agree on the dive rating. Just using that as a reference that if the rating is less now obviously they are building them different... Why?

Inactive

Unfortunately it was a single post on a watch forum (not this one) and I forget where I even saw it... I thought maybe I'd find something more with research but not much luck. He stated the older luminors with the ETA are actually a more robust combo.
    Fascinating. I wonder if anyone else will have more insights. I'll poke around a little too.

I got into Panerai just after the Pre-Vendome era, and yes many of the 44mm Luminors were 300m rated. Not all but many. With that said, many of the Radiomirs were 100m...I think all of them actually, which still remains the case. When the 1950 47mm case size hit, those were also 100m rated (with the exception of their divers of course).

I donít have any answers as to why most non-diver Luminors have changed from 300m to 100m, but I donít think itís because of a change in case design or less durability in their movements. I agree with Synequano in that itís more about the gaskets that are affecting WR more than the case itself. I think itís logical that gaskets with a higher depth rating cost more, so maybe it was a cost cutting measure??...IDK.

Either way, I donít believe a 100m rating makes the watch less than a 300m rated one for all practical purposes. One of the disadvantages of in-house is just that...it has to go in-house to be serviced (as pj1369 has pointed out). There are no watchmakers that Iím aware of that have an OP parts account to be able to service your watch out side of the RSC. If there werenít so many reported issues with the RSC, it wouldnít necessarily be a disadvantage. I know Iíve had my headaches with them.

With an ETA movement, youíre only limited by the skill of your chosen watchmaker for service/repair (for now at least ). Functionally, they both perform as designed based on anecdotal evidence.
    The body will never go, where the mind has never been.

Rolex SD 126600, Seiko SBBN040 Golden Tuna, PAM 579, JLC MC Diving Chrono GMT NS, PAM 190 8-Days, Rolex DSSD, Sinn U1000S, Doxa '07 T-Graph & 750T Carribean, Rolex TT DJ, RXW MM20

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information