PAM 797 Luminor 8 Day Titanium 44mm
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: PAM 797 Luminor 8 Day Titanium 44mm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PAM 797 Luminor 8 Day Titanium 44mm

Announced in Fall 2018, this model has a small seconds indicator at 9 o'clock and a power reserve indicator dial between 4 and 5. It was announce along with PAM 795, a stainless steel version, and PAM 796, a Destro also in stainless steel but with power reserve indicator on the back.

Name:  Panerai_Pam_797_front_1000.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  498.8 KB
    I love the look of the grade 5 titanium. And I regretfully sold my PAM 562, although now discontinued production I can still source one. But this 797 caught my attention, and I rather like the warmth of the brown dial, with the beige-tinted lume. The 562, at least the newest R Series, did not have a sandwich dial although the lume is excellent, and has a rather greenish hue to the lume.

Name:  PAM562 Lume2.JPEG
Views: 72
Size:  85.5 KB

Name:  562 Panerol.png
Views: 67
Size:  265.4 KB

I would really love to have another titanium Luminor model. At first, I thought the dial on the 797 to be rather busy, but I am kind of warming to the Power Reserve Indicator. I am curious to know if there are any current owners, or if any of you have seen one?

Cheers,
    Carl
    Those who possess a sense of entitlement are seldom satis​fied.

Re: PAM 797 Luminor 8 Day Titanium 44mm

Well, i just finished seeing this model at the Boutique, and I can definitely give it . It is going to be my next Panerai. I was thinking that the power reserve might overwhelm the dial a bit too much, but it actually looks more subtle in real life than in the pics. I don't mind a dial showing a couple of functions, so long as they are functional. When I had my 562, I must admit that unless I made a written note of when I fully wound it, I did often get confused as to how much reserve was left. Of course, I often wound it ever couple of days anyway, unless I was timing it.

The aesthetic of the dial is very warm and pleasing. The Boutique had paired it with a new gold calf tone on tone strap, which suits the watch beautifully. I don't much care for the lighter suede like one in the photos.

Sometimes, without being aware, things work out for the best. If I had not sold my PAM 562, I might not have discovered the 797 or might have discovered it and with I had it instead. I still have the change to get a 562, but overall I like this one better and I think it will work really well in my collection.

Cheers,
    Carl

Looks great I love the power reserve indicator and sandwich dial.Thumbs up!
    carlhaluss likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I love it Carl, but then, I own a 564 and am a sucker for TiPAM's. I just looked it up on Panerai and am surprised it is not too much more expensive than the 562/4. I have also wanted a PR on a manual wind watch, but on my 564 (and quite the opposite to yourself) I would actually find it unuseful, as winding my PAM is one of my favourite Sunday morning pleasures, so I find it very easy to keep it running in perpetuity.
    carlhaluss likes this.
    My watch collection has become too big to fit in my signature

Quote Originally Posted by Keaman View Post
    I love it Carl, but then, I own a 564 and am a sucker for TiPAM's. I just looked it up on Panerai and am surprised it is not too much more expensive than the 562/4. I have also wanted a PR on a manual wind watch, but on my 564 (and quite the opposite to yourself) I would actually find it unuseful, as winding my PAM is one of my favourite Sunday morning pleasures, so I find it very easy to keep it running in perpetuity.
    I was actually considering a 564, to replace my 562, just to have the small seconds for a change, and was trying to make up my mind when I remembered about the 797. I was also pleasantly surprised at the relatively small difference in price. Here in Canada the 564 is $8900CAD and the 797 is $9400CAD. The newer 564 does not have a sandwich dial. So, for 500 bucks more I will get a sandwich dial plus the power reserve indicator. It certainly won't spoil the fun of winding for me, might even make it more fun! I have a power reserve indicator on the back of one of my other watches, and love watching it change as I wind the watch.

Likely, if I still had the 562, I wouldn't change it, but I will never know. The 797 seems a no brainer for me now. That 8 Day manually wound movement with the titanium case and brown dial is pretty much as good as it gets. I sold the 562 to get another watch, and that didn't work out. I'm not sure whether I miss the titanium case or the 8 Day movement more! I had even considered getting a Bronzo, but this "little" 797 has almost made me forget that. And I can't afford both. I say "little" because the 44mm seemed quite small on my wrist compared to my 47mm Luminor. But that won't stop me, as the 44mm is actually an ideal size.

I am actually going back to the boutique today, this time with camera in hand!

Cheers,
    Carl

Iíd say 44mm luminor in titanium is highly wearable...I have 177 and probably itís one of the general release that I often pick if I donít know which watch to wear...

Canít comment about the PR as usually I prefer a pam with rear PR indicator (thatís why I donít have 233 or 335)

The only pam I have with pr indicator on the dial is the infamous 123 as itís the only pam that combines automatic+destro+smooth bezel (and it still stands up to now,the other destro auto are all submersible models)
    carlhaluss likes this.

Had to go back for another look. After looking at the old pics of my 562 I just want to be certain the small seconds and power reserve dial wonít bug me in the future. It was actually kind of fun to watch the indicator dial move as I wound the watch. And small seconds fit the dial as well:

Hmm
    On first seeing these photo's, I was like, hell yeah!
    I definitely love it, and it certainly would not be a wrong choice. The PR and the sandwich dial give it a nice edge.
    But I really like the classic Marina base dial and the "MARINA" and "8 DAYS" text on the 564 dial. 8 days is significant in Panerai history, so I like seeing it on the dial.
    Plus I'm totally content with the semi sandwich cut out dial of the 564.
    I'd absolutely be happy with the 797, but wouldn't swap my 564 for one. I'm sitting on the fence
    carlhaluss likes this.
    My watch collection has become too big to fit in my signature

Carl, great looking PAM with the brown dial and PR!
    carlhaluss likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Keaman View Post
    Hmm
    On first seeing these photo's, I was like, hell yeah!
    I definitely love it, and it certainly would not be a wrong choice. The PR and the sandwich dial give it a nice edge.
    But I really like the classic Marina base dial and the "MARINA" and "8 DAYS" text on the 564 dial. 8 days is significant in Panerai history, so I like seeing it on the dial.
    Plus I'm totally content with the semi sandwich cut out dial of the 564.
    I'd absolutely be happy with the 797, but wouldn't swap my 564 for one. I'm sitting on the fence
    If I still had my 562, I doubt I would be thinking of the 797. Good point about the ď8 DaysĒ as well, it means a lot to me as well. I am still not ready to do the deal though. For me, itís still a way off. I did look at the 564, it and the 562 still available at the boutique. I tend more to go for the 562 over 564 because of the dial simplicity. Where the 797 has the edge for me is the sandwich dial, which the others donít have any more. I suppose ther will be no wrong choice, and the 787 is not much more expensive.

Cheers,
    Carl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information