Thread: PAM579 - 1950 Chrono Monopulsante Left Handed 8 Days Titanio

PAM579 - 1950 Chrono Monopulsante Left Handed 8 Days Titanio

Hi all
    First an apology - Ive never owned, worn or even handled a Panerai before
    somehow the ADs over the years I built relationships with never held them
    I have no friends with one

However today I tired one on - OH BOY - WOW - what an event this watch is

It is for sale too - Im tempted to trade in/up for it

Its looks mint - can anyone tell me about this watch? what to look for?
    what a good price for it would be? seems a limited and rarely come up for sale

many thanks

simon
    mucky phone pick with blurry image from removing glare

Name:  IMG_6557.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  2.00 MB
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

Re: PAM579 - 1950 Chrono Monopulsante Left Handed 8 Days Titanio

I think this piece used to retail for around 17.5-18k euros,but the current pre owned price might hover around 10-11k eur? I saw one last year asking around 10.5k usd but I donít really follow the current price as I already have the 345 which is similar to 579

The movement used are only used in LE pieces as typical P2004 have front PR,GMT and am/pm

OP, I purchased a NOS 579 in 2018 in the $15K usd range. MSRP was $22,500usd, IIRC.

I think itís a great piece. It started off a little rocky because the chrono functions werenít working properly (hands didnít line up, and reset would land hands in arbitrary spots). It went straight to the Panerai RSC for warranty service. The RSC experience was OK but most importantly they fixed the problem. Iím not sure if the original issue was because it had been sitting for @4yrs at an OP boutique. In any event everything has worked great since.

I also found that they were hard to locate since only 300 LE pieces were made in 2014. I think I got lucky to find a NOS piece. With that said, Iím not sure what a preowned watch would/should sell for but it definitely shouldnít sell for more than my NOS price. Unlike other LE pieces, this one hasnít risen in price. IMO the Panerai market has gotten soft so many OP watches donít command the prices they used to back in their hay day...this one included.

I was surprised to find out that they use Grade 2 Ti for the case...especially at this price point. Grade 5 is used only for the bezel ring because it can take on a better polish. I canít seem to find the email from OP that stated this or Iíd post it here. In use I havenít found the difference in grade to be too significant, but I also donít treat it like a beater. Grade 2 is generally softer but easier to refinish than grade 5.

The quick release (QR) strap system works as advertised. There are conflicting reports of the system binding up, so cross fingers that it wonít be a problem in the future. The reason I mention this is because the QR is press fit into the case, so if thereís ever an issue with the QR, the entire case will need to be replaced. Apparently thereís no way to just replace the QR. As limited as these issues are, I would have much preferred the traditional screw bar the OP use to use over a QR.

The last two points may seem like Iím being critical of the ref. but overall it hits a lot of the things I was looking for in a Panerai at the time. I coulda/shoulda bought a PAM 127 Fiddy when they originally came out years ago, but since I didnít, I always wanted a 47mm 1950 case style. I love the sandwich tobacco dial, and gold hands. I also like the dial lay out (subdials are symmetrical) and they put the PR indicator on the back. IMHO, PR indicators on the front clutter up the dial and donít look right...although arguably more functional. Combine all this with a desire for an 8-days movement and weakness for chronos....I had to have one.

Sorry for the long post but I hope it helps.
    Simon likes this.
    The body will never go, where the mind has never been.

Rolex SD 126600, Seiko SBBN040 Golden Tuna, PAM 579, JLC MC Diving Chrono GMT NS, PAM 190 8-Days, Rolex DSSD, Sinn U1000S, Doxa '07 T-Graph & 750T Carribean, Rolex TT DJ, RXW MM20

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks both - I have been offered one, NOS, at £9500
    it seems a huge saving and it is a beauty
    but I guess its been sat in the cabinet for 5 years
    so oils will be dry and potential problem Jiman had with chrono works
    I was unsure of the fiddly QR strap system - seems like an answer to a problem that didnt exist

It did look awesome, felt awesome, I may take another look
    thanks
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

That is a great deal. As an added “warm & fuzzy”, I was able to get the 8yr warranty extension, since the warranty started at the time of purchase (2018). That makes me feel better about potential future issues. Pretty cool that a 2014 model will have a warranty until 2026.

I would assume the same would apply in your case...definitely something to check on.

Let us know what you do.
    Last edited by Jiman; 1 Week Ago at 01:24. Reason: Spelling
    Simon likes this.
    The body will never go, where the mind has never been.

Rolex SD 126600, Seiko SBBN040 Golden Tuna, PAM 579, JLC MC Diving Chrono GMT NS, PAM 190 8-Days, Rolex DSSD, Sinn U1000S, Doxa '07 T-Graph & 750T Carribean, Rolex TT DJ, RXW MM20

thanks J
    I will ask tomorrow

Simon,how did it go? Saw 579 still on display in Panerai Florence boutique when I visited in 2018

If you buy this for the resale,forget it...but if you like it,go for it...

I have its older,rarer and smaller brother,the 345

Name:  Adjustments.JPG
Views: 29
Size:  407.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Thanks both - I have been offered one, NOS, at £9500
    it seems a huge saving and it is a beauty
    but I guess its been sat in the cabinet for 5 years
    so oils will be dry and potential problem Jiman had with chrono works
    I was unsure of the fiddly QR strap system - seems like an answer to a problem that didnt exist

It did look awesome, felt awesome, I may take another look
    thanks
    That strikes me as a stinking deal. I was bouncing two ADs off each other Dec 2018. Both had NOS unsold/undated watches and I think one caved in and stuck at £12,500 and the other at £11,500. I would have bought @ under £11k. Hence IMO that's a great price.

I thinks it's a super watch. Very rare. I love the titanium, domed crystal, 8 day manual, power reserve, easy change strap, 'dirty dial', gold hands and size.

It would have partnered my 368, but as I didn't spend the money the cash went towards a rather tasty 670 I collected last week :)

Do let us know what happened. Did you bite?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Thread Information