PAM720 plexiglass question
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: PAM720 plexiglass question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hi all,
    Iím looking at purchasing a second Panerai and have decided on the PAM720.
    My only disappointment is that it comes with plexiglass and not sapphire crystal. I understand that the 720 comes with a spare. Can anyone confirm if this spare is also plexiglass? And is it possible to have a sapphire crystal fitted later?
    Thanks.
    "Do ya like ta have a good time? Then ya need a good watch" - Rocky Balboa.

Re: PAM720 plexiglass question

one of the charms about some watches is the Plexi Glass. it just looks so right. the 720 is one of them.
    i'm guessing the spare glass that comes with it is also Plexi. i'm also guessing that Panerai would Not replace it with a Sapphire. you may have to source an aftermarket piece for it.
    best of luck
    The Emotion is Aroused by Something Marvelous. Gazed with Wonder.

Pink Floyd in Pilot Suits... oh, LOVE The Band.

@tonch504

Only watches that has plexiglass comes with a spare. Watches with sapphire crystal donít have spares.

I am sorry to say this. You appreciation of the watch is not reached. I used to dislike the plexiglass not because of the looks but due to the fact that it scratches easily. If you uses your t-shirt or an ordinary cloth to wipe it, you are actually scratching the plexiglass. All are not lost though till I found and discovered Polywatch. Just apply a micro bit and polish the plexiglass and it will be as good as new.

Another pointer needed to be pointed out is: 720 is a recreation of the original and pays homage to 3646. These models were used by the .... Germany Combat Swimmer or their Naval Commandos and they call them the Kampfschwimmer.

Today, strap makers have adopted this ďkampfschwimmerĒ term to name their strap. I do not have a 720/721 but I do have a 232 which is very close to a 720. Here, a picture of my 232 with a 3646 kampfschwimmer style strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Tony A.H
    I suspect you are right. Iím curious, however, if the sapphire, say from a PAM424, will fit.

Thanks Waikeekee,
    Very encouraging to know the plexiglass can be restored. I would push back somewhat that my appreciation of the watch is not reached, but I understand why you say this. And you are probably, partially correct. Your feedback is much appreciated.

Panerai service would never put a sapphire crystal into a model they only offer as plexi, so the question on the 424 switch is moot, unless ofcourse you take to a watch maker and hope he can figure it out before opening your watch and realizing it wont work....but ...then where would you get the 424 crystal, Panerai does not sell their watch parts nor provide to external watchmakers...Some models are just plexi for a reason.
    carlhaluss likes this.

Thanks m630,
    Hadnít considered that. But, I guess it doesnít matter, because in reality, I probably would not change it anyway. I just like to know my options. And learning from Waikeekee that polishing is an option, Iím quite comfortable with the plexiglass now.
    Now I just have to find one.
    carlhaluss likes this.

you'll love the Plexi glass. it has such a warm look, and gives the watch a Vintage feel.
    in fact. i've changed the Sapphire crystal to plexi on 2 of my watches (non-panerai). shows how much i like the look of it .
    carlhaluss and tonch504 like this.
    The Emotion is Aroused by Something Marvelous. Gazed with Wonder.

Pink Floyd in Pilot Suits... oh, LOVE The Band.

Had a plexiglass on my Omega and when scratches got bad just used toothpaste to smooth them out. In the end I just left the scratches and enjoyed them. One guy even started a thread to post pics of scratched crystals. Almost created a competition to see who had most and deepest scratches.

Cheers,
    Carl
    Those who possess a sense of entitlement are seldom satis​fied.

Oh wow! Now I want the plexiglass just to see what all the fuss is about.
    I have only seen the 720 in pictures. But Iím in love with it. It will compliment my 112 beautifully because I see the 720 as the other type of Panerai from the 112 - Luminor vs Radiomir, crown guard vs screw down crown, solid lugs vs wire lugs and now it seems Sapphire vs Plexiglass. Of course it retains the Sandwich Dial, which is a must in my opinion. I recon Iíll waist 15 minutes a day trying to decide which one to wear.
    carlhaluss likes this.

Ahh,,, now I see why you are in the sapphire crystal group as you have a 112. An excellent watch I must say. I have the 114. Same as 112 but with a white dial.

Mounted on a Mauser ammo strap by Vintager

May I suggest you do some reading and homework. Just look for the legendary 372 with pure Panerai DNA and youíd understand. Oh! Something that I must add, a 47MM with sapphire crystal will weigh a little (25 grams) more than one with plexiglass. If you did not get your strap right, then the sapphire crystal watch will be top-heavy and tend to fall to one side.

673 is plexiglass

422 is sapphire crystal

After or when you have gotten the 720, I hope not, you might outgrow the 112. Thatís how I got started to get 47ís MM Panerai. Now, I would wear both sizes on rotation and at the same time, slowly letting go of the smaller ones or let the wife wear them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Synequano, Tony A.H and tonch504 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information