Sandwich vs Painted dial (PAM560)
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Sandwich vs Painted dial (PAM560)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sandwich vs Painted dial (PAM560)

About 3 weeks ago I thought I lost my Q-series 560. Since I had insured it (Jewelers Mutual, I highly recommend them), I made a claim when I gave up looking for it. I got an S-series 560 as a replacement in quick order. While it was a bummer to lose the sandwich dial of the Q-series, I ended up liking the painted dial of the S-series a lot and was very happy with the replacement.

Fast forward to this weekend. My Q-series turned up! (it was literally stuck in the only place I didn't think I had looked) So before I return the S-series, I figure I'd do some quick comparisons of the two types of dials on the 560 while I have them both on hand.

Side by side: L = Painted, R = Sandwich

I've always preferred the sandwich dial, but I will say that I was surprised by how much I liked the painted dial in this case. While the painted dial doesn't have the cool looking depth of the sandwich dial, it "pops" more in all viewing angles. I found myself liking how it looks quite a bit.

Lower angle: L = Painted, R = Sandwich

I really don't think the painted dial look any worse compared to the sandwich dial. With the lower angle shot, the sandwich shows off the cool cutout effect, but the subtle "filled-in" effect of the painted dial looked really good to me as well.

Lume: L = Painted, R = Sandwich

It's a bit hard to tell from this picture, but the sandwich dial does have obviously stronger lume in person. The painted dial looks perfectly bright on its own, but when compared side-by-side to the sandwich dial, the sandwich dial is brighter hands down.

Painted dial close-up:

Sandwich dial close-up:

Painted dial outdoors:

Sandwich dial outdoors:

I have the option of keeping either one, and the decision was slightly tougher than I thought it would be. The sandwich dial should have been the no-brainer to keep, and is what I will be keeping. In this particular instance, the brighter lume and future scarcity of the sandwich dial 560 are the main reason for me to keep the original. But the painted dial has really won me over and I think if I end up getting another Panerai, it will for sure be a painted dial version.

Finally, I will put in another plug for Jewelers Mutual. The claim process for the "lost" 560 was fast and painless, and I couldn't be more satisfied with JM's service. Now that the watch turned up, I feel a bit bad and embarrassed about putting in the claim, but hopefully this episode will teach me to keep better track of my watches at all times.

Anyway, I feel like there had been a lot of discussion out there regarding painted vs sandwich dials, but I don't recall seeing many direct comparisons of the dials on the same model, so hopefully this is of interest to some of you out there.
    liwang22 likes this.
    Current Collection (reverse order of acquisition):
    BREITLING Galactic 41|PROMETHEUS Poseidon|BULOVA Moonwatch|SEIKO Tuna SBBN033|BREITLING SO Abyss|SEIKO Pepsi Turtle-X|GRUPPO GAMMA Vanguard|OMEGA PO 8500|ORIS BC4-DM|JEANRICHARD Terrascope|JEANRICHARD Aeroscope|PERPETUAL T-04|BENARUS Moray Vintage|PANERAI 560|LONGINES Heritage 1973|SWATCH Sistem 51|TUDOR Black Bay|BENARUS Moray 42|Ocean7 LM-7PVD|STOWA Antea KS|SEIKO GS SBGR051|G-Shock GS1050B|G-Shock GW7900RD-4|SEIKO SDGA001 EPD|PANERAI 312|BALL EMII DLC|BREITLING Airwolf (circa 2009)|BATHYS HAWAII AquaCulture Rose Ti|SEIKO Ananta SD GMT|BREITLING SuperOcean(circa 2007)|G-Shock Riseman|SEA-GULL M185SP|ORIS F1 Chrono '08

Re: Sandwich vs Painted dial (PAM560)

Nice write up. I prefer sandwich. It was one of the first features that drew me to Panerai.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    5959HH likes this.

When I finally get my Radiomir, it will be sandwich only. It's unique and part of the Panerai's DNA to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    5959HH likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the write up on the watch and JM. I have found that my tastes have changed the longer I spend around here and can understand how the sandwich has its own draw. Currently I only have a sandwich dial but am considering non-sandwich versions as well for #2

Sandwiched Dial was a must when I was shopping for my Panny. The 112 won me over easily!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    liwang22 likes this.

Good to hear on JM coming through for you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    liwang22 likes this.
    my positive feedback - search "omega1300" in the feedback forum!

I have both painted and sandwich dial but personally I prefer the depth of sandwich dial

Sangwich for me. More character up close IMO.

Nothing wrong with a painted dial in general but with Panerai seems like ditching history for the sake of cost cutting. Not that I know all the Panerai prices like an expert, but that's the impression to me.
    ●7.25●

Really liked this post and the comparisons! When I shopped for my first PAM, the sandwich was a must but if I were to get another PAM, I'd be equally open to painted dial.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information