Still can't decide: Classic 312 vs 361 Flyback Chrono

Poll: Which model should I buy

Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Still can't decide: Classic 312 vs 361 Flyback Chrono

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Still can't decide: Classic 312 vs 361 Flyback Chrono

Hi,

it's definitely time for my first Panerai. As it will be a gift for a special occasion, I'm never going to sell it. Moreover, I don't think that I ever will buy a second one. So, this is most certainly going to be my one and only Panerai. It should have a Luminor or 1950 case, a brushed case, deployant buckle, and 44mm diameter. Right now, I have a shortlist of 2 models: 312 and 361.

First candidate 312:
    Name:  00016331.jpg
Views: 2018
Size:  33.3 KB
    - 1950 case, polished bezel
    - More classic Panerai design
    - €5.900 (retail price)
    - unobtrusive date
    - unfortunately no deployant buckle, would have to spend 400$ for one and most probably the original straps won't fit anymore

Second candidate 361:
    Name:  361.jpg
Views: 1944
Size:  40.5 KB
    - 1950 case, brushed bezel
    - Sportier look, but not so dressy
    - Ugly carbon strap, would have to buy a leather one
    - €7.700 (retail price)
    - deployant buckle

What would you buy? It's going to be an every-day-watch (actually an every-second-day watch, because I love my Omega Seamaster Chrono as well). I guess, I can't just order the 312 with a deployant buckle, but have to buy it separately, don't I?

Both have the same cases. However: I think that the 312 is slightly smaller in terms of height because of the flat crystal!? That could be a tie-breaker, because I'm not that tall (1.74cm, 18cm/7" wrists). And finally, there is a huge price difference... However, I really appreciate all your comments!

Re: Still can't decide: Classic 312 vs 361 Flyback Chrono

I'd go with either 312 or even 351 because they look more simple and the P9000 movement (pam in house) as opposed to 361 with OP XIX (which is a re-decorated movement)
    What is the dial color of your seamaster? If its black,then get the 351 for the different dial/hands combo (brown dial with gold hands)
    However,the 312 and 351 comes with tang buckle as standard
    If you really need deployment clasps,check panatime,they have it,and the price is much lower than the oem clasp

Thanks for your comments! The Seamaster is black, indeed. However, I prefer a black dial on the Panerai as well. With regard to the 361: First, I really, really wanted a "real" second hand, but the more Panerais I see, the less "natural" such a thing looks to me.

I just saw the 392. Perhaps that could be an alternative as well. Looks like a 312, but is a little bit smaller (I'm 1.74 with 18mm/7" wrists).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Maybe you're simply not used to it,I'm only 1.68 m with 6,5 inch wrist but I do ocassionally wear pam 372 which is 47 mm
    My current daily wear is 351 which is essentially 312 with lighter case (its made of Ti)
    If you like the 1950 case with black dial,there is also 359 as an alternative,it is 312 with numeral sandwich dial and patina lume
    As for real second on panerai,it is not that common,especially on most models,the second hand on (most of) the Panerai are located on 9 o clock (or 3 o clock on destro models)
    For central sweeping second,you have to look for the older gmt models (23,29,63) or older PR models (27?,28) but those models come only in standard luminor case
    I know it is really hard to find a "perfect" pam for example I cannot find (in current line up) luminor GMT in 44mm in either SS or Ti with black second dial,black hands and sandwich dial (pam 237 is almost perfect but alas,no sandwich..and you have to be really lucky to find one,it is one of the most elusive pam,it's not even in the catalog)

Lightbulb You're not "there" yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim99 View Post
    ...With regard to the 361: First, I really, really wanted a "real" second hand ... I just saw the 392. Perhaps that could be an alternative as well...
    I don't know Tim, I'm not really sure you're ready to choose your PAM... as a matter of fact, seeing as you're big on a central second hand and worried about 44mm makes me think you need to step back, look some more, learn* some more and then - and only then, make your move.

*"Look" around - info on Panerai is everywhere; 8 own threads and only 17 posts...? That must be a record...

I would choose the 312. It has more Panerai DNA than the 361, to sum up synequano´s advices.

Travelller, you're absolutely right in your evaluation of my state of mind. First, the Panerai brand was one of several candidates (IWC, Rolex, Breitling being the others). In terms of size and style, there is a huge difference between a 40mm Rolex and a 44mm Panerai While I liked some Panerai models, I explicitly did *not* like the purer ones such as 111 or 312. Finally, I am 95% sure that it should be a Panerai (the fact that my wife doesn't like them and wants me to buy a classical Submariner or Navitimer doesn't help though...).

The central seconds hand is a good example for what goes on in my head: I like it, and I like the brushed bezel as well. However, the more I immerse myself into the world of Panerai, the more these things seem "unnatural". Right now, it's really changing from "let's go and buy this great chrono" to "the classical one it should be" and vice versa each hour

Another thing,just checked panerai catalogue on iPad,361 is not even on the line up for 2012,the only (affordable) chrono available on the 2012 line up is the daylight 356,the rest are the monopulsante models and flyback in gold
    If you like brushed bezel and black dial,check 176-177,both are all brushed Ti on the standard luminor case but both are handwound

I never wore a Ti model, but should perhaps try that. Thanks. But I think they will be unnaturally light compared to steel models. Btw: I have the chance to get a brand new 361 (even with 10% discount).

Deployment clasp for a luminor can be bought for €40 on some US website just google radiomir deployment clasp and some website address starting with tp will appear so don't let that stop you from getting the 312. I've opted for the 392 myself as I like seeing some strap on either side of case when it's on my wrist

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information