Why do you like Panerai?
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Why do you like Panerai?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Why do you like Panerai?

Ok Panearai peeps, help me out. I dont understand the love for Panerai. I know beauty is subjective, and to each his own, but I dont get it. I want to like them because they're unique, but they seem to be all so similar to one another with only minor variations, and pretty simple to cost so much. I've seen a few in the wild and they just looked odd to me.

What am I missing? Is it the heritage? Some kind of mechanical complexity? Just the design language of the brand? Why do you like Panerai? Maybe you can educate me and change my mind, or maybe it's just not a good fit for me.

And please know I'm not bashing Panerai or trolling to tick anyone off. I'm truly just looking for thoughts of Panerai fans to see what I'm missing. I thought this would be a good place to ask the question.

👍

Re: Why do you like Panerai?

Panerai is a polarizing brand...in a sense you either get it or not...

I like them because of their appearance,simplicity and legibility....despite being a big watch,I find them to be more low profile than the likes of Rolex and Omega

Panerai is a bit like Porsche 911...one look and you know what it is

I wrote this in the other thread...Panerai is one of the few brand that stays loyal to their root with 47mm radiomirs (vs 3646) and 47mm luminors (vs 6152)...even Rolex sub has gotten fatter in their latest iteration
    bigclive2011 likes this.

Inactive

I agree - i love them for simplicity, unique crown guard, and legibility. I also think they have some interesting history. That said, I don't think you need to have more than one (maybe two) in a collection. I have a 112 in my collection of 7 watches. Love it. It balances out my other pieces well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by pj1369; 1 Week Ago at 07:08.
    bigclive2011 and Paneraiguy1 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

first word that came to mind when i read the title is: Unique (which you had already said).
    IMO. you gotta love it to enjoy it. if you feel nothing for this Brand ?. don't waste your money..
    personally. if a Watch doesn't skip my heart beat when i look at it . it's not for me.
    maybe you should hang around a bit longer and get to know the Brand a little deeper, and hopefully that will ignite your passion for this very unique Brand.

i also like what pj1369 said:
    Quote Originally Posted by pj1369 View Post
    I don't think you need to have more than one (maybe two) in a collection.
    they sure look very similar. but how many do you need?.
    after years in this hobby. i've learned that having a couple of pieces from each Brand is a better way to a nicer round up collection.

best of luck with your next venture
    bigclive2011 likes this.
    The Emotion is Aroused by Something Marvelous. Gazed with Wonder.

Pink Floyd in Pilot Suits... oh, LOVE The Band.

For me I was intrigued by them for almost 20 years but not enough to even try one on. I started to research the company and I was even more intrigued... Then one day I tried one on. Instantly I really liked it. I could't believe how well they wear. I ended up getting one that month... After wearing it for a week I developed a huge appreciation for the simplicity and how effective the dial communicates to me... The Panerai simplicity actually caused me to sell a few other watches I owned and loved in the past but no longer...
    bigclive2011 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by texag03 View Post
    Ok Panearai peeps, help me out. I dont understand the love for Panerai. I know beauty is subjective, and to each his own, but I dont get it. I want to like them because they're unique, but they seem to be all so similar to one another with only minor variations, and pretty simple to cost so much. I've seen a few in the wild and they just looked odd to me.

What am I missing? Is it the heritage? Some kind of mechanical complexity? Just the design language of the brand? Why do you like Panerai? Maybe you can educate me and change my mind, or maybe it's just not a good fit for me.

And please know I'm not bashing Panerai or trolling to tick anyone off. I'm truly just looking for thoughts of Panerai fans to see what I'm missing. I thought this would be a good place to ask the question.

👍
    It’s true, many of them look very similar to each other, and the all the different reference numbers can be overwhelming... probably more so if you’re new to the brand. But as you go further into the rabbit hole, you’ll start to notice the distinction between models. I’ll be honest and say that I have to look up many of the ref. numbers to know what watch someone is talking about, and I’ve been in/out of Panerai since 2003/2004

I will say that IMHO, the history/heritage, hype, and all the rest of it won’t mean squat if it doesn’t move you aesthetically. It’s gotta be something you feel vs. something you think. If/when it feels right, then all the history and other particulars will come into play and make you appreciate the brand even more...but it’s gotta be in that order.

Panerai was my first “expensive” watch. Being a chronograph lover, I wanted a Rolex Daytona but was researching other brands to make sure I wasn’t missing out on some other model. One thing led to another and I stumbled onto a Panerai forum (WUS wasn’t around yet, IIRC). I liked Panerai as soon as I saw my first one. Eventually I got a PAM162 (OPs first 44mm chrono as seen in the first Transporter movie).

Why Panerai vs. Rolex?...well at the time, I didn’t care for the smaller dial size of the Rolex. I also wanted something different. It was also very cool that there was such a huge choice in Panerai straps, which would essentially change the look/feel of the watch with each strap change. I know from a dollar value perspective I made the wrong choice, but I still love the PAM162 and still think the Daytona is too small for my tastes.
    bigclive2011 likes this.
    The body will never go, where the mind has never been.

Rolex SD 126600, Seiko SBBN040 Golden Tuna, PAM 579, JLC MC Diving Chrono GMT NS, PAM 190 8-Days, Rolex DSSD, Sinn U1000S, Doxa '07 T-Graph & 750T Carribean, Rolex TT DJ, RXW MM20

Thanks for all of your insights, and thanks for not jumping on me for asking! This seems like it might be a friendlier subforum than some of the others!

Quote Originally Posted by Synequano View Post
    Panerai is a bit like Porsche 911...one look and you know what it is
    Well said. I have a Pam 112 in my collection that I’ve been thinking of selling. I haven’t worn it in a few years...my tastes have changed and I really don’t wear anything over 40-41mm now. But I love the look of Panerai watches. Just a timeless design. I may get burned for this but...I’m considering replacing my 112 with a 38mm or 42mm Due sometime in the future.
    fortitudine vincimus - HH

Rolex
    Submariner 114060
    Rolex Oyster Perpetual 114300 White Dial
    Tudor
    Black Bay 58
    Omega Ω Seamaster GMT 2538.20 “Great White”
    Panerai Luminor 112
    Zenith Defy Classic Openworked

DP
    fortitudine vincimus - HH

Rolex
    Submariner 114060
    Rolex Oyster Perpetual 114300 White Dial
    Tudor
    Black Bay 58
    Omega Ω Seamaster GMT 2538.20 “Great White”
    Panerai Luminor 112
    Zenith Defy Classic Openworked

I have yet to own a Panerai myself but I really like the simple dial and great legibility. I have been close many times to getting one and then another watch comes on the radar that I wanted so I buy that instead.
    I would recommend trying a few on to see how you like them.

The last few times I have visited my local mall, the Panerai Boutique has been a ghost town. As in I’m the only customer.
    The sales people were very nice and pleasant.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information