With or Without Box & Papers
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tony A.H

Thread: With or Without Box & Papers

With or Without Box & Papers

I am researching for my first Panerai, my initial thoughts are for a 312, but because it is out of production, obviously only a pre-owned one would be possible.

What are your thoughts on procuring a pre-owned Panerai, (not necessarily the 312), if the seller cannot provide the box and papers.

As this will be an expensive purchase, your input would be appreciated.
    Tudor: BB Black, Omega: Seamaster 300M, Breitling: Superocean Heritage II, Seiko: SRPB99 Samurai, Steinhart: Ocean Vintage GMT, Ocean One Vintage GMT-2 (Hong Kong LE), Pilot Nav B-Uhr 44 (Bronze), NTH:Carolina

Re: With or Without Box & Papers

usually when buying a watch without box and paper, it's market price is a few hundred bucks lower (which works in your favor) than the watch with all the goodies.
    quite frankly i don't see a value in box and papers (i would think certificate for L.E pieces is important ) .
    first of all you won't be wearing the Box. 2nd you don't need a manual to set your watch. and lastly the warranty card is useless after 2 years of ownership.
    if you can get a sweet deal on that 312. go for it provided it's authentic, otherwise if the price is too low or too good to be true. walk away.
    best of luck
    tonch504 likes this.
    The Emotion is Aroused by Something Marvelous. Gazed with Wonder.

Pink Floyd in Pilot Suits... oh, LOVE The Band.

Hi Tony,
    Thanks for the comments. I agree that most boxes get put aside after they arrive, and that the cost without box is usually cheaper. Does the papers / warranty card not give the buyer a greater guarantee on the authenticity of the watch.
    Tudor: BB Black, Omega: Seamaster 300M, Breitling: Superocean Heritage II, Seiko: SRPB99 Samurai, Steinhart: Ocean Vintage GMT, Ocean One Vintage GMT-2 (Hong Kong LE), Pilot Nav B-Uhr 44 (Bronze), NTH:Carolina

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Getting the box and papers will make it easier for you to flip the watch down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Notdmeca View Post
    Getting the box and papers will make it easier for you to flip the watch down the road.
    Agreed, but I don't flip any purchases, they will eventually go to my son who is interested in watches, but at this stage with a young family does not have the funds to spend on watches. So any problem with possible resales will be his not mine.

The lack of boxes & papers aren't a bad thing. Have purchased a number of watches without them.

The biggest with concern with Panerai is their authenticity, which boxes & papers would support if it is real or not. This isn't a fullproof method as you'd still want an expert to look over the watch and verify it.

If it all checks out, congrats and enjoy it!
    -Ken

eBay - kenng012
    TRF/Instagram - grfwatch
    Reddit - u/HeeyBud

Personal choice.

My choice is that I will never buy a Rolex or Panerai without papers and correct boxes and packaging to verify authenticity.

There are just too many fakes out there.

Matching numbers on good papers is too expensive for the Chinese to fake.
    " I am easily impressed by the best" - Winston Churchill.

"One cannot but admire the cold-bravery and enterprise of these Italians"
    Admiral Cunningham, referring to the frogmen of the M.A.S in WW2.

I prefer full set , but if you can get a great deal why not?