I'm posting designs for 2 watch concepts my small team and I have been working on for a long time. We're currently brushing up on the designs and getting ready to manufacture prototypes.
We're aware that our designs are not for everyone and that many people are not going to like them, which is completely fair. All I'm asking for is honest feedback and advice on how we could improve the design. Obviously, this is not a watch you'd wear everyday and not a watch you'd use to quickly and precisely tell the exact time. Our idea is to create a small brand that utilizes different shapes for hands, and uses those shapes to create different visual effects as they rotate and show time – so it's more of a creative design watch than a watch in the classic sense.
I won't bore you with the details of the backstory at this phase (even though I believe it's interesting), since I'd appreciate feedback and critique from a design and technical angle, but I do promise to share it as soon as we finish the prototypes 😊.
Please keep in mind that:
- The designs are not final, there are some iterations we'll make, mostly regarding colors – the colors shown were just general guidelines during the design phase.
- We've been discussing the feasibility of the designs with engineers. The biggest issues were the size/weight of the hands and how it could affect the precision of the movement. With some iterations and special alloys we could make it happen.
- We will probably be using Miyota 9015 or Seiko NH35 movement (we're aware of the differences, but there are some technical hurdles we still need to overcome, so we haven't made the decision yet), flat sapphire glass, 5 atm water resistance.
The 2 biggest questions we'd appreciate feedback on:
- How to better indicate time markings. We could engrave the numbers, but we're not really sure that it looks good.
- Would it look odd if the brand name was engraved on the outer side of the case, above the bottom lugs? We're trying to tackle the issue of the large watch hands which would obstruct the name if it were positioned on the dial.
- If you have any recommendations on the color palette, that's always welcome.
Since, due to our post count, we cannot link to the gifs, I feel i need to explain the watch hands. On the first watch, the largest gear represents hour hand (the part colored indicates hours). the minute hand is a simple, classic minute hand. The second hand is also a gear which spins continuously. On the second watch, the bottom/small petals represent the hours, and the gold colored petal is the hour indicator. The bigger/hollow petals represent the minutes. Even though it might not be visible, but the second hand represents the filaments/pollen of a flower - also rotating continuously.
Thank you in advance for the critique!