Aestus - a Nixie watch with custom made nixie tube - Page 5
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Aestus - a Nixie watch with custom made nixie tube

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Aestus - a Nixie watch with custom made nixie tube

Thanks for your comments guys!

Actually, I agree with the last comment - I have this struggle myself, whether to go with unusual design like this or with a classic one where nixie display itself would be the unusual part. I am working on this for some time (2 years :) ) and I must say that it is very tricky to achieve something good in both direction. One of the problem is that watch designers are a bit confused how to approach such an unusual display. It is hard to find a balance, and I still don't have an optimal solution.
    In last couple of months I am working with one Swiss watch design company I am hopping to get better output and ideas.

I'll post soon as I get the updates myself.
    PeterK. likes this.

Damnit. Now I want one. What would battery life look like?

Glad to see things are progressing. Really interested to see this one finalised. I prefer the original design and renders. The latest version for me is a bit too futuristic. Looks like part of a Batmobile. I appreciate the watch is all about the tubes but I would still prefer to have sort of face or dial as opposed to apatures where the digits show. Looking forward to the next update

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    JR

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by iltl32 View Post
    Damnit. Now I want one. What would battery life look like?
    Don't worry too much, I still like it, although it is obviously a not good design for the first version. I will release limited edition of the futuristic case at one moment, I have to :). I have 3D printed the case, and people either like it very much or don't like it at all.

Next week I am meeting my Swiss designers in person, they will start the work soon. My work with them so far seems very promising. I'll keep you updated.

And yes, about battery - from the current calculations, with normal usage, 1-3 months per one charge.
    Chascomm likes this.

Hello,
    Almost one year already without news, could you give us some information on the progress of your project.
    Regards.

I'm also curious as to the status of this project. Would love to get an update.

Hello guys, it has been a long year! :)

Last year in July I started to negotiate with my new Swiss designers. We started to work on the new concept of the case in September but it didn't went that smooth as I expected. Thanks to them, I was forced to change almost everything regarding the design of the electronics and batteries, and also some things regarding the tube itself so we could get the optimal size, proportional to the display - and after a lot of work and different ideas we have a good solution.
    I will not yet post the case design, until it is fully finished - will be done in one month or so.

The nixie tube itself is working fine, I am using this time to perfect the production and aging process and the driving of the tube. Lately I was again working on my power circuit and I managed to make it 87% efficient.

To remind you, any change regarding the tube costs me a lot of time and money, since minimum lead time for parts is 4 months. Anyway, in June, I will assemble my final tube prototype, fit the latest electronics and custom made battery and then wait for prototype cases.
    For cases I will need to wait at least 3-4 months after the design is done.

So, let me give you some rough estimation: I think that it is realistic to have full prototypes of the watch by October. After that I will promote the watch in one way or another and try to run the full production in 3 months after that. So it might be a Kickstarter campaign or some other way to pre-sale it, or not pre-sale it at all, we'll see.
    Anyway, by this timeline, the first shipping of the watch might happen in February 2019.

You probably noticed that I move this dates freely - the reason is that I am not rushing to the market, I often discard big chunks of previous work for a better idea, perfecting the watch over time.

Please have patience and when the time comes, support me by purchasing the watch - I plan to expand this company and brand and to make more unique and new designs based on nixie technology, but not just nixie, I have many ideas, you'll see ;)

Los Angeles county, California, United States of America

Quote Originally Posted by vladimirVD View Post
    We are working on couple of different concepts of the case. At one point we went maybe too far and came up with this retro-future model. What do you think guys? It is in development, we need to work on many details. But please share your thoughts.

New dimensions: 43 x 51 x 14mm

Attachment 12206378Attachment 12206386
    I love it! To me, it is reminiscent of the Ragen Synchronar a.k.a. Sunwatch.

But I like the other shape too, and am not so fussy that any of the revisions seems much better or worse than another. One thing that bothers me with it is the possibility that it will need a custom-molded rubber strap. In my experience, the usual polyurethane rubber is not good for daily wear beyond about 10-15 years before it starts to disintegrate. When that happens, how will wearers get replacements? I have noticed that this exact problem frustrates collectors of some mass-production watches such as Casio's G-Shock models. Just when the majority of users (who haven't previously broken or severely injured theirs in accidents) start needing replacement rubber parts due to age deterioration, Casio has discontinued them and they're no longer available.

I guess I'm in the minority also, that I would like this watch with the original round case design too. But I'm one of those freaks who occasionally wears David "Nixiebunny" Forbes's original round nixie watch (the same one Woz is famous for, but I wear mine on a wide leather "gladiator"-style strap, wider than the watch, like those that were somewhat popular in the 1970s) and I like it. And I have worn a G-Shock Raysman as my daily watch for decades.
    Last edited by A.J. Franzman; December 3rd, 2018 at 10:48.

Great project, wish you success!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information