Aestus - a Nixie watch with custom made nixie tube - Page 6
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Aestus - a Nixie watch with custom made nixie tube

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Aestus - a Nixie watch with custom made nixie tube

Hopefully, you're still on point for getting this concept to production, it's been awhile since previous update? Would also like to see an update on how some of your other project/concepts are shaping up? I'm also hoping the grind of getting a intricate project such as this off the ground, hasn't discouraged your initial initiative of seeing this wonderful project/idea through to reality.

I don't understand.. is this in production?

Hello all,

Again, it has been a while since my last post - the reason for that is mostly my full engagement in my daily job. Among other stuff, I am currently managing one big IoT project with development, production and deployment of tens of thousands of devices for underground vaults security. So I was quite busy last year and I had very little time to work on my watch - which was very frustrating. I need to finish it fast, I has been too long, 6+ years...

Anyway, last time I mentioned I hired new Swiss designers which were supposed to deliver the final design. Again, it was challenging, but we had a lot of good results - the case size was quite reduced and all internal mechanics were solved, much better than I expected. I had to redesign the tube itself which took away couple of months for new parts to arrive and new tubes to be assembled and tested.

However, the style and design of the case turned out to be a bit problematic. We had a good idea, good story, good inspiration and I liked initial renders, but when I did 3D prints, I figured that the design gives a different impression. So I took it upon myself to figure out what to do with the design since most of the watch designers struggle with the nixie display - it is just not what they are used to, there are no dial, hands, no circular movements, there is depth in the stacked numbers, odd ratio of the display size and case size, the thickness - all that needs to be solved and in the style of the story that inspires it.

So, I played with the design and currently I am working on this one:
    Name:  Aestus1.1.JPG
Views: 113
Size:  268.9 KB
    Name:  Aestus2.1.JPG
Views: 109
Size:  287.3 KB
    Name:  Aestus3.1.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  269.3 KB

Clasp is just just grabbed from GrabCAD :)

There is still a lot of work to be done here. And I am not even sure I am on the right path - but hopefully it will be clear soon - comments are welcome.

The dimensions are:

Width - 39mm
    Length - 49mm
    Thickness - 14mm

So I would say it is not over-sized anymore.

I hope I will have more for you soon.

Also, I did some negotiations with case manufacturers, but if anybody can recommend a reliable manufacturer (Chinese or European) I would appreciate that very much! One could never have too few good contacts!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Shogun506 View Post
    I don't understand.. is this in production?
    It will be soon :)

This is an interesting concept! I have some ideas but need to know a bit of the requirements here.

Now this is the most fundamental question: Do the numbers have to be aligned like that? IMO it is rather distracting/hard to read. If they were from left to right like a digital watch, that would be more familiar and more in line with the nixie philosophy I think (means more cool at the same time). This is a small customer base watch and it is not going to be bought by your average Tag Heuer wearer. It is a steampunk-ish attention catcher. You should not be concerned about going over the top or too weird with the design. Of course it should be stylish and classy in the way it is supposed to be. Did you have a story for the design? Or general outlines for the style? Right now, it looks a bit like an amped up smartwatch with a bit of a space/sci-fi vibe. If this is what you're going for, then awesome. I'm just wondering if I could make suggestions. :) Function-wise, I'm concerned about the visibility of the numbers from an angle, this is why I would suggest a more open case. Or do you want it to have these deep windows? That's a cool thing too, they "shine from the depths of the watch". :D Anyway, let me know if you want some suggestions or talk about the design, would be more than happy to help. Btw, I'm a designer.

Quote Originally Posted by vladimirVD View Post
    Hello all,

Again, it has been a while since my last post - the reason for that is mostly my full engagement in my daily job. Among other stuff, I am currently managing one big IoT project with development, production and deployment of tens of thousands of devices for underground vaults security. So I was quite busy last year and I had very little time to work on my watch - which was very frustrating. I need to finish it fast, I has been too long, 6+ years...

Anyway, last time I mentioned I hired new Swiss designers which were supposed to deliver the final design. Again, it was challenging, but we had a lot of good results - the case size was quite reduced and all internal mechanics were solved, much better than I expected. I had to redesign the tube itself which took away couple of months for new parts to arrive and new tubes to be assembled and tested.

However, the style and design of the case turned out to be a bit problematic. We had a good idea, good story, good inspiration and I liked initial renders, but when I did 3D prints, I figured that the design gives a different impression. So I took it upon myself to figure out what to do with the design since most of the watch designers struggle with the nixie display - it is just not what they are used to, there are no dial, hands, no circular movements, there is depth in the stacked numbers, odd ratio of the display size and case size, the thickness - all that needs to be solved and in the style of the story that inspires it.

So, I played with the design and currently I am working on this one:
    Name:  Aestus1.1.JPG
Views: 113
Size:  268.9 KB
    Name:  Aestus2.1.JPG
Views: 109
Size:  287.3 KB
    Name:  Aestus3.1.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  269.3 KB

Clasp is just just grabbed from GrabCAD :)

There is still a lot of work to be done here. And I am not even sure I am on the right path - but hopefully it will be clear soon - comments are welcome.

The dimensions are:

Width - 39mm
    Length - 49mm
    Thickness - 14mm

So I would say it is not over-sized anymore.

I hope I will have more for you soon.

Also, I did some negotiations with case manufacturers, but if anybody can recommend a reliable manufacturer (Chinese or European) I would appreciate that very much! One could never have too few good contacts!
    Personally I like what you've accomplished in regards to your most recent changes. The styling of case looks good, and I'm also okay with the Nixie tube stacking look, it has a suitably "military 24hr. time" look. Would it look better to have all the Nixie's to line up in succesion, yeah, probably, but, based on what I think your attempting to do by making the case size not too look to large and/or cumbersome, then I completely understand why you would go with the "stacked" look of the tubes. The only thing I would like to see tweaked involves using either a black IP and/or bronze/brass alloy for the case, that way the tubes would have a more harmonic look with the case. Outside of that I think you are on point with the direction you're leaning towards.
    PeterK. likes this.

Guys, thanks for your comments! I spoke to so many people over last couple of years (which is not very good for finishing the design :) ) and I found many thoughts and opinions useful which made me change the design a lot (as you can see from first posts).

Anyway, I am pretty open with my progress and work and I feel free to discuss it. I'll try to answer most of the questions.

Regarding 2x2 digit alignment, that is the only mechanical solution for multiplexed nixie tube which is made as metal header with hermetically sealed window on top (insanely expensive process, btw). If I place 4 digits in a raw I would need to use much more space for the tube itself and the case design would be much more difficult. Also, in this custom made tube, there are no actual tubes, it is rectangular header 31 x 31 x 8.5 mm. Glass window is on top and the digit stack can not be viewed from a side. That is a trade-off to space, and I believe it is a good one.
    However, I do have plans to make very small glass tubes (<10mm dia. ) and to make a new watch using them. In that case, stacked digits will be 4 in a raw and completely open. But developing that is a very long process. I want to launch this one first.

I don't think anybody will have any problem to read it. Like with any watch with unusual display (Urwerk, SevenFriday, etc.), you need to adjust for the first time and then it is easy.

I do have a story developed, and we did started from it. The story is about alternate future - How would digital watch look like if the nixie display was the only digital display available (no LED or LCD) - So it would be an alternate present/future similar to pre-war Fallout world. Initial inspiration for the case was artwork from 40s and 50s about future vehicles, as they imagined it (flying, nuclear, rocket cars and spaceships). This particular design went a bit more to sci-fi (inspired more with 80s artwork of small spaceships), but it works better with the nixie display than initial ideas. The story itself and marketing material will try connect it all together.

The main problem in design, mechanically is a couple of things - The watch has to be big enough to be able to contain the tube battery and electronics. So first, we need to have a good ratio of size of the digits, crystal and case. Second thing, it's thick - 14mm. With this thickness and the size of the digits, you quickly see that the design of outer shape and opening is very limiting and you quickly end up in something that doesn't fit. When watch designers start to work on it, usually their ideas are not even close to be applicable. Once you satisfy all ratios and sizes, it is something completely different.

The thickness made me go for sort of lugless shape, otherwise it is too bulky. To make it less bulky you need to make it more wide, and then you screw the ratio between digit and case size. Lugless design lead to too much metal so I compensated with these vertical cuts on the case and black details, which actually go along with the story, I would say.

I am doing a 3D print tomorrow to see will it really work, if I like it, I'll continue with this design.

@Hands of Time, thank you for offering your suggestions, I appreciate that! PM me, we'll go from there.

@watchobs, once I finish the design I'll make different versions with different materials, we'll see what works the best - bronze and brass would add to the steampunk spirit - although I am trying not to come too close to steampunk due to limited market interest in that.

I did one interesting render - remember how newer nixie tubes had red foil over glass to filter out the blue mercury glow - I can use red tinted crystal, which would go great with black PVD case:

Name:  Aestus5.1.JPG
Views: 82
Size:  254.7 KB

nice developments!

the new renders leave the impression the digits are very deep inside. there's a feeling it's possible to shave a lot of height by bringing the crystal down. this might be just an illusion, though, as you can't quite see on renders how the tubes and electronics fill the space.

apart from that, the new case is a bit too symmetrical to my tastes. adding subtle asymmetry (besides the buttons) to top and bottom parts could add some character, imho

Hello everyone,

What I'm worried about is not the look of the watch, it's the Nixie display.
    Indeed it’s the most sensitive part in the life watch.

The hermeticity of the passage of the inner electrodes to outside the Nixie tube is fundamental and represents a great technical complexity.
    Neon gas leaks over time are a very difficult parameter to control at this level,
    even Dalibor Farny on his big series had had problems in production?

Do you have pictures of your Nixie display to tell us how you solve
    these reliability issues over time on very small runs.

Thank you in advance for your information.
    Papou.79

Quote Originally Posted by dspt View Post
    nice developments!

the new renders leave the impression the digits are very deep inside. there's a feeling it's possible to shave a lot of height by bringing the crystal down. this might be just an illusion, though, as you can't quite see on renders how the tubes and electronics fill the space.

apart from that, the new case is a bit too symmetrical to my tastes. adding subtle asymmetry (besides the buttons) to top and bottom parts could add some character, imho
    I can say that the digits are as minimally deep as possible and I spent a lot of time to make sure that is accomplished. There are several reasons for digits depth:

1. Sputtering - Digits need to be away from the glass so that the glass is not affected by sputtering effect. In regular round nixie tubes you have this too, but since the tube is all glass, it is not that noticeable.

2. Thickness of the glass - we need the window glass on the hermetic seal to be thick to be sustainable to mechanical shock and to have more surface to seal to the surrounding metal frame. Hermetic sealing of the glass and metal is science for itself and this is the part where I researched, tested and invested most of my time and money. Thickness of the window glass is 1.5mm

3. On top of the tube we need a dial and a crystal. I kept it as minimal as possible, but some depth for these elements is needed too. Space between the tube and the crystal is less than 1mm.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information