Any opinion on my watch project? - Page 5
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Any opinion on my watch project?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Re: Any opinion on my watch project?

Quote Originally Posted by fredlim View Post
    I google and found STP 2824 clone is STP 1-11, that clone is not the same as the Swisstech's clone I think, STP is owned by Fossil. Swisstech is a Hong Kong company, with in-house movement production in Swiss and China, so I guess it has Chinese parts, assembly in Swiss? I think I will contact them and give it a try.

I compare STP 1-11, ETA 2824, SW200 and the Swisstech S24, I think S24 is not a 100% clone of 2824.

Jewels: S24 (29), ETA 2824 (25), SW200/STP 1-11 (26)
    Height: S24 (4.85mm), ETA 2824/SW200/STP 1-11 (4.6mm)
    STP stands for Swiss Technology Production, so... it doesn't seem implausible to me for Swisstech and STP to be related.

Inherently, the design isn't such that I would imagine a page of sheet music immediately, but with the influence pointed out, I quite like it. I also like the subtle minute marks. It's a very classy and dressy design.
    For autos without a date, you can try the Miyota 9039, which is thinner than the 2824 and its alternatives, but not as thin as the SW300/2892.
    However, it's a Japanese movement, which may not be what you're going for. If you can ignore that, the Miyota is an exceptional movement with the approval of many here - in some lights considered superior to the 2824/2892, even.

For your printing, what is it you are seeing as a problem explicitly? The sharpness of the text ETEROUS? It does look to me a bit soft and of subpar resolution, but you have it magnified. As with Bavarian, unless your watch is in the higher price ranges, it likely will pass muster.
    I note that nothing major is wrong with the printing, no strokes are expressly missing nor are there holes, the most significant sign of lower standards there is the bottom right serif of the T being not quite fully there.
    But that brings me to a point I think should be noted - the HALIOS SEAFORTH text that Bavarian is showing as an example, is a sans-serif typeface with a fairly even stroke width. I would wager that it is easier to print it to that level of sharpness and definition than your serif typeface.
    fredlim likes this.

DEVELOPED IN DARKNESS

MWW P. Marcidus | SNGLRTY OHI-4 | GallioTempo Trident | COA Studios Eclipse
    Steinhart Ocean Titanium 500 (A10) | Spinnaker Bradner
    Ball Engineer Master II Diver TMT (P1J) | Tudor Pelagos LHD | Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianZHP View Post
    For me it really depends on the price point. If it'll be over $1000 I'd want every detail to be perfect from at least the naked eye, as I can find $800 watches with that level of quality control. If it's around the $700 mark I honestly wouldn't mind at all if my naked eye couldn't tell the difference.

You could try other printing methods. I'm not sure what Halios uses but the inking is raised and very precise, not sure what the specific method of printing it is called though but I'd look into it if I were you:
    If I take photo with similar angle and lighting, I found the inking is raised like the Halios, I don't have the photo now, will share later.

The price is set around $500, but I'd want perfect in every detail.
    Last edited by fredlim; March 14th, 2019 at 18:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Karriope View Post
    Inherently, the design isn't such that I would imagine a page of sheet music immediately, but with the influence pointed out, I quite like it. I also like the subtle minute marks. It's a very classy and dressy design.
    The minute marker will be changed to print, but still in dressy style. I will show more picture later.

For autos without a date, you can try the Miyota 9039, which is thinner than the 2824 and its alternatives, but not as thin as the SW300/2892.
    However, it's a Japanese movement, which may not be what you're going for. If you can ignore that, the Miyota is an exceptional movement with the approval of many here - in some lights considered superior to the 2824/2892, even.
    Thanks for the movement suggestion. The movement is 9039, the case technical drawing already done a few weeks ago, case sample will be available soon. As 9039 is very thin, case height is 10mm with double curved front sapphire glass.

For your printing, what is it you are seeing as a problem explicitly? The sharpness of the text ETEROUS? It does look to me a bit soft and of subpar resolution, but you have it magnified. As with Bavarian, unless your watch is in the higher price ranges, it likely will pass muster.
    I note that nothing major is wrong with the printing, no strokes are expressly missing nor are there holes, the most significant sign of lower standards there is the bottom right serif of the T being not quite fully there.
    But that brings me to a point I think should be noted - the HALIOS SEAFORTH text that Bavarian is showing as an example, is a sans-serif typeface with a fairly even stroke width. I would wager that it is easier to print it to that level of sharpness and definition than your serif typeface.
    The problematic printing is the bottom right of serif "T", the text height is less than 0.9mm, I think serif is not easy to print good in such small size. This is the 2nd batch of samples, quite costly to produce. Since the quality is not so stable, I am thinking to remove the text printing, only leave the UPMR logo, the dial will be more cleaner but you have to look at the case back to find the brand name.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The minute marker will be changed to print, but still in dressy style. I will show more picture later.
    I think I really prefer the subtle debossing, but I assume the change to print is due to manufacturing concerns?

Thanks for the movement suggestion. The movement is 9039, the case technical drawing already done a few weeks ago, case sample will be available soon. As 9039 is very thin, case height is 10mm with double curved front sapphire glass.
    A 10mm thickness will really help the watch be more svelte and under-cuff friendly, which I think is going to be great for an actual conductor. Given your case design is pretty slab sided, making it as thin as possible would be great.

The problematic printing is the bottom right of serif "T", the text height is less than 0.9mm, I think serif is not easy to print good in such small size. This is the 2nd batch of samples, quite costly to produce. Since the quality is not so stable, I am thinking to remove the text printing, only leave the UPMR logo, the dial will be more cleaner but you have to look at the case back to find the brand name.
    With dressier watches, I think the cleaner look without the logo text would help. I cannot give you a certain recommendation for this as it depends a lot on how much you value people being able to read your brand name off the dial. It's a genuine issue if you want to raise brand awareness, but I personally prefer to keep to logomarks without logotypes on the dial for cleanliness.
    Then again, my designs are far from minimalist so I probably need to, to avoid any more clutter.
    But I think that if the quality of the printing is a problem for you, you might want to consider alternative methods to put the name on the dial e.g. stamping, or change your fontface to a sans-serif. Tiny serifs are never going to be easy to print perfectly without using better manufacturing techniques which may be prohibitively expensive for you.

DEVELOPED IN DARKNESS

MWW P. Marcidus | SNGLRTY OHI-4 | GallioTempo Trident | COA Studios Eclipse
    Steinhart Ocean Titanium 500 (A10) | Spinnaker Bradner
    Ball Engineer Master II Diver TMT (P1J) | Tudor Pelagos LHD | Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight

I would like to remove the images in #24, or hide it temporary, is it possible?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread Information