Any opinion on my watch project?
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Any opinion on my watch project?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Any opinion on my watch project?

Hi

My name is Fred, this is my first watch project, I like cushion style, 40mm size, 9.2mm thick, dial is not finalized yet.

Constructive criticism is welcome.

Name:  Concept_8_fix_2016-Dec-01_03-24-02PM-000_CustomizedView10450757144.png
Views: 774
Size:  91.5 KBName:  Concept_8_fix_2016-Dec-01_03-24-24PM-000_CustomizedView18824523365.png
Views: 767
Size:  39.8 KBName:  Concept_8_fix_2016-Dec-01_03-24-39PM-000_CustomizedView22030611526.png
Views: 763
Size:  38.0 KBName:  Concept_8_fix_2016-Dec-01_03-25-18PM-000_CustomizedView1470482708.png
Views: 766
Size:  56.3 KBName:  Concept_8_fix_2016-Dec-01_03-26-30PM-000_CustomizedView5456580508.png
Views: 760
Size:  64.1 KBName:  Concept_8_fix_2016-Dec-01_03-26-51PM-000_CustomizedView18195553308.png
Views: 765
Size:  70.0 KB

Re: Any opinion on my watch project?

Overall the case looks nice.

There are not enough details, but can say at first go I like that you are keeping it at 40 mm and like that the lugs curve down.

My only criticism is with the the top of the case, I would like to see it curved down similar to the lugs or have a greater edge finish. The fact that it is flat will make it wear much larger and does not flow with nicely with the lugs

Lets see some more details particularly your choice of finish, crystal and crown.
    Last edited by solex; December 1st, 2016 at 20:02.
    LordBrettSinclair and fredlim like this.

Looks fairly nice, although I agree with Solex that it "doesn't flow nicely with the lugs".
    What is it intended to be? A sports watch? An art-deco revival of cushion-cased 1930s watches? 1970s cushion case revival (think of the Heuer Camaro) style?
    fredlim likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you all for the feedback.

I agreed that the top flat face is a problem, I tested the 3D print on my wrist, in addition that the face does not flow with the lugs, the 4 corners of the top face looks a bit strange on wrist, I think maybe because I choose a rather round bottom case.

This watch is not a chronograph, the design is intended for art-deco revival of cushion-cased watch.
    Last edited by fredlim; December 2nd, 2016 at 06:26.

Then you might think of using a high-domed sapphire or hesalite crystal, that should give it a vintage feel. But quite definitely you will have to rework the lugs, these look straight out of the 1970s.
    fredlim likes this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thanks for your suggestion and I learned a lot.

After review some reference pictures, most 1930 watches have small second (6H) or no second. While center second is key element in my design. In that case, a 1970 cushion style would be more appropriate.

Or is it weird to mix different era design in one design? For instance, rounded cushion with wire lugs, embossed bar indexes, center second?

I'd need to see it to be able to tell if it'd work... But if you're asking if a 1970s dial and hands design would work in, say, a 1930s Dennison cushion case, the answer is no.

There are known early specimens of sweep seconds watches in cushion cases, but you'd need to keep it art-deco...
    fredlim likes this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Erich Maria Remarque

Looks familiar
    Instagram: right_wrist

Quote Originally Posted by Solomente View Post
    Looks familiar
    Sure if you Google "cushion shape watch" you will find a lot.

i.e.
    http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq117/rtomson/Watches/Casio%20Oceanus%20alarm/IMG_9610.jpg
    http://cdn2.jomashop.com/media/catalog/product/t/i/tissot-t-lord-automatic-white-dial-men_s-watch-t0595281601800_2.jpg

Franky speaking, those are my reference materials.

The lugs on that LF remind me of 1970s Poljots a bit too much...

I'd rather go in the art-deco direction... I think that if you wanna go 1970s, it'd be way better to do that with an Autavia-style chrono or whatnot.
    fredlim likes this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Erich Maria Remarque

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information