Design project, Jasexw's thread
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Design project, Jasexw's thread

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Design project, Jasexw's thread

Following on from MechaMinds lead thread I finally had a chance to start with steampunk concept watch.

This is first quick revision.

Given the steampunk theme, the case is of course to be bronze.

Skeleton movement, hour/minute hand offset towards Top, and 24hr (or seconds) sub dial below. I haven't quite yet found suited movement with 24hr, only tourbillons.

The 24hr sub dial to have image of earth from above/below, so that earth rotates every 24 hours. The idea was to include a filter placed over the "dark side" of the planet, showing night and day.
    In the below drawing I've not included this, as so far I've not found a movement to fit- only those with seconds sub dials and tourbillons, so to keep it somewhat 'doable' I've drawn out as it would appear using 60 second sub dial.

Crown placed at 12 o'clock position.

Not sure how to finish bezel yet. 3d pipework, bolts or something to fit the theme.

Hopefully image makes sense, I haven't yet mastered any drawing program. Out line was done in draftsight (free cad), colour added in coreldraw- which was bit of a nightmare at first, and also the reason why some things are not aligned.

Anyway, here it is:

Sent from my toaster using Tapatalk
    L-800, MechaMind and Leszek Kralka like this.

Re: Design project, Jasexw's thread

Over all the idea is not bad even as the appearance still looks little stampunky but the idea... not that impossible.
    Assumed:
    A ) the proportions of the dial are priorized behind the function
    and
    B) the watch size doesnt matter that much.

If you would choose a movement with a plenty of torque, as it was suited for a pocket watch in origin
    Let us say an Unitas or clone with a central second.. and uf you could place the crown at the original right position at 3

Double the diameter of the gear manufactured in my old thread double the amount of teeth and get this wheel/gear to follow the ger I produced..

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/poc...ml#post7876916

You could cut a pocket in the upper plate plunge in a pin and put on a gear that divides the turns of the hours wheel by 2 . You would not be independdnt from the hours wheel as the pin would have to sit 1.5x the effective hour wheel diameter from the center away but you could also set a disk on that wheel /gear or egrave the ccntinents directly into it assumed further that the sun would be in the center of the watch . Sun would rise jn the East and sink in the West when the earth is pictured to be viewed on tbe north pole.. so everything would be fine..
    regarding paramtric cad you could either place the construction elements on a elements coord system relative to the World coord system or use a snap function whjch finds the relative orientation for you and places this in the parameter box. So if you are not familiar with the snap functions you can pretty good have a paper by sude and note down the relative offsets and orientation of the parts to ease your doing...
    Last edited by MechaMind; November 23rd, 2019 at 22:18.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

I like the idea of a vintage style hand painted 'globe', but I would recommend using a projection more like that of the United Nations flag as it allows you to cover the entire inhabited part of the world with reasonable proportions.

If that looks like too much ocean, then consider Captain Nemo as your theme

Also, I agree that a Unitas-clone movement is your likely best bet. Probably some variant of Hangzhou 9-series from PTS Resources. The example below is not exactly right for you but there are several other layouts available with off-set time and 24-hour display.

Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Great design.

Chascomm is right.. the globe will be too small to get a detailed small world on it. In case of stempunk I would create a brass, bronze or copper coin in the largest size, possible.. means the upper tangent ends short below the hour hands tube and the lower results. I further would cutout the dial to let this coin turn even with the dial surface and perhaps cover the gap with an geared ring like applica or such..as I said.. there are rather unlimited possibilties...

Thank you for the replies, I like the "UN" idea, as well as that of a coin. A few things to think about.

I've got a couple ETA clones with sub dial, which while not off centre, may be able to be used to achieve above look. ...All I have to do now is remember where I packed them.
    I've also miss placed the case I was going to modify, hope to make some progress once new house is sorted

Every one is about moving here.. sorry, I took a little break and figured ot ome other things off watch topic.

Hopefully I'll find back in a few days.

Hey ho ! Any progress??

Unfortunately not!
    Other items still taking up too much time

Know what you mean - Christmas time

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information