Design Project! MechaMinds Thread!
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Design Project! MechaMinds Thread!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Design Project! MechaMinds Thread!

Name:  Labelweb.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  208.3 KB

Hello Guys!

As time has come, to start with our design project, I just want to leave some introductional words at the beginning of my thread!

When choosing suggestions for possible themes from the pool of ideas
    I gathered in the past, the idea to go for that steampunk dress watch design, was influenced by the fact, that I did not already think about this theme at that time.
    So all thoughts and actions following on the decision by the group and for that theme had and have to be made newly, are to be documented within this thread and so may create additional inspiration for the others.
    … One of the group effects I'm interested to see in mulitple directions within the group.

But as already mentioned several times in the past… the main target of this project for me would be to have fun with others and second to learn about possibilities to deal with proup effects in project situation and management and how to productively use them.

I'll try to organize this thread as a kind of diary to keep the progress in chronologial order.

So here we go ! Lets start !

Hansjoerg
    Last edited by MechaMind; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:16.

Re: Design Project! MechaMinds Thread!

10/20/2019 (6:10AM)

Initially trying to get my feeling for what steampunk could mean to me, I think I'll refer to the Wikipedia definiton of this as a public source at the beginning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

So now I have the/ one offical Definition, about what steampunk is ment to be.But I decided to -along this Guideline- develope my own understanding.

So first I tried to take a second timeline of art and style along the timeline of the age of industrialization.
    And picked out that periods of artifical evolution I will try to go with, as I always liked the Art Decó and Bauhaus periodes. (As steampunk came upt in the 1980th and the industrial revolution started in the 18th century and lasted over the Victorian Age I see no reason, not to involve the years in between into this ).
    This decision probably will come up with the problem to balance out the reduced appearance in e.g. Bauhaus style with the smallish ( ment for use in a watch ) but generous amount of details used on steampunk objects. So it will probably be more Art Decó/ Art Nouveau than going for Bauhaus style.

Attachment 14562125Name:  Time Ray.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  212.4 KB
    Last edited by MechaMind; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:17.

To get familiar with the look of items / machines or things of daily use over the years of the industrial age,
    I try to get closer from the manufacturing side.

- Materials available at that time
    - Bronze
    - Brass
    - Iron
    - Gold
    - Silver
    - Mild Steel
    - glass /crystal
    - leather
    - wood
    - porcellain

- manufacturing technologies available at that time
    - Pouring/ Casting
    - Soldering (Tin and Lead
    - Welding / ( no TIG WIG or MAG - Just Firewelding)
    - Coating ( No electroplating at the beginning- Just fire coating, Gold, Tin,
    Zinc, Copper )
    - Cannon Drilling, Turning, Milling developed and improved over time
    - Rivetting
    - Forming ( Blacksmith)
    - All kinds of handcrafting

- objects of daily use or placed in manufactures
    Name:  Picture2.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  182.2 KB
    Name:  Picture copy.jpg
Size:  174.1 KB
    Name:  Picture1 copy.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  169.8 KB
    Last edited by MechaMind; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:14.
    L-800 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Digging into this topic, there starts a rain of additional ideas on my head. As steampunk seems not to be limitted in Technology, but just a look alike, I recently try to prevent running ahead and leaving out the systematic work in between… but … I'm just a man … so to say.. But I'll try to keep detailed and systematic, I promise

From my touhgts

Style:
    Will go for Art Decó probably a little bit Art Nouveau, but I think will keep this one reduced, as most of the elements will rather become too small for the amount of possible Detail.

Details:
    -I will try to do the crystal in a multi-facetted appearance with a brass frame (rivets???)- like the diving helmet or e.g. old industrial architecture
    - will use the drop oiler as a gadget perhaps with some additional functionallity.
    - the handwheel should be inspiration for the crown ( dont want to get to large here, but will try to find a solution.
    - the manometre: I plan to have a small second ( so probably will do this after that look)
    - interconnection might be some coil like and/or tubular / pipe structure…

Now I will have to figure out how to include all that into a wrist watch which should come up shlightly decent!! - But in the first thist would mean to to target a too large movement.

Enough for today … have to think … to be continued

10/20/2019 (10:23AM)
    Last edited by MechaMind; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:23.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaMind View Post
    To get familiar with the look of items / machines or things of daily use over the years of the industrial age,
    I try to get closer from the manufacturing side.

- objects of daily use or placed in manufactures

Name:  Picture copy.jpg
Size:  174.1 KB
    Great start Hg!

Centrifugal fly-ball governor is a very steampunkish device ...

Good luck with your project!!

Hey Leonardo, I like this one very much, too. (although I have still no clue how to get this one into a wrist watch . Originally thougt about a crown protection or kind of.. but I'm still struggeling with this item . if you or Leon could use it :) feel free to.. BTW .. when do you plan to start?

HJ
    Last edited by MechaMind; 2 Weeks Ago at 21:01.

10/20/2019 ( 3.00 PM)
    Originally thought to go for that later, but since I have defined what I want to include into the watch and I would like to have a rectangular case with a great depth effect I found out that I would have to figure out if I rather could realize this and how large the watch would be to ake all this . So I decided to create a mix of 3D and 2D Sketch to rather estimate the needed size .. Its not yet finished, but here is the first sketch of rough estimation. Will be a rather big watch with about 33x 48 mm … for to keep the desired content!
    Name:  Proposal2.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  508.0 KB

10/20/2019 ( 8.00 PM)
    ProdCastDesign likes this.

10/20/2019 ( 3.00 PM)
    Originally thought to go for that later, but since I have defined what I want to include into the watch and I would like to have a rectangular case with a great depth effect I found out that I would have to figure out if I rather could realize this and how large the watch would be to ake all this . So I decided to create a mix of 3D and 2D Sketch to rather estimate the needed size .. Its not yet finished, but here is the first sketch of rough estimation. Will be a rather big watch with about 33x 48 mm … for to keep the desired content!
    Name:  Proposal2.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  508.0 KB

10/20/2019 ( 8.00 PM)
    Great sketch, but the pipes under the crystal would be a thing to connect. It could be a reliëf on the faceplate but you'll need to lift your pointers...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
    MechaMind likes this.

Pointers are checked , yet and should be fine, but I erased the orbits out of this pic as without the moving effect to get 3 D in mind, it was far to confusing .. and I'm still in phase A, so no fixed /frozen states and details after the first day. The structure of the dial will be very unconventional.. much work... but should appear as a great 3d world with a transparent /"look trough effect" for maximum visual depth.. I have to detail the fixing structure but this means much trial and error to keep the structure mostly invisible but it should work from what I have seen.. we will see.. will have to check back if the size could really be done.. and have ordered a second movement with another locaton of the small second to be a little more flexible..
    ProdCastDesign likes this.

Pointers are checked , yet and should be fine, but I erased the orbits out of this pic as without the moving effect to get 3 D in mind, it was far to confusing .. and I'm still in phase A, so no fixed /frozen states and details after the first day. The structure of the dial will be very unconventional.. much work... but should appear as a great 3d world with a transparent /"look trough effect" for maximum visual depth.. I have to detail the fixing structure but this means much trial and error to keep the structure mostly invisible but it should work from what I have seen.. we will see.. will have to check back if the size could really be done.. and have ordered a second movement with another locaton of the small second to be a little more flexible..
    And I thought I was the only 'mad designer' with impossible dreams... But I have a twin brother Haha... But funny enough I see light for this model a square model with a fense on top of the Crystal.. Can be edgy...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information