Feedback on diver design
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Feedback on diver design

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Sponsor

Feedback on diver design

Hi everyone,

I decided to turn a long time dream into a reality this year, and set about designing my own watch; a dive watch named the 'Irukandji'.

For those who aren't aware, Irukandji are a group of small yet highly venomous jellyfish, indigenous to the coastline of North-Eastern Australia.

Specs would include: brushed 316L stainless steel case; drilled lugs; domed sapphire crystal with AR underside; 120-click unidirectional bezel with ceramic insert; signed screw-down crown; 200m WR; Seiko NH35.

Would love to hear your thoughts - the bits you like, the bits you'd change - things you connect with, or things that don't resonate.
    Also which colour you like most, or another colour you'd like to see.
    All feedback welcome and valued!

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

Name:  blue render.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  366.8 KBName:  black render.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  335.8 KBName:  pink render.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  366.2 KBName:  case back render.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  211.9 KBName:  Irukandji sample dial blue.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  182.1 KBName:  Irukandji sample dial black.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  147.3 KBName:  Irukandji sample dial pink.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  195.6 KB
    jays_and_kays and brandon\ like this.

Every timepiece has a story to tell...

​IG: @maswatches

Re: Feedback on diver design

Don't mind the dial, it's a bit refreshing - it's still using the traditional circular minor hours and a typical chapter ring, but the quarter markers are a little different. That hot magenta one though, um, wow.
    That's... bold.

The thin straight rectangle lugs look kind of lazy though, they're better suited to plainer dress watches in general. I think they look a bit out of place, plus the rendering makes them look like the whole case is polished, which I think is aesthetically mismatching.

Minute hand's too short to me, the handset shapes themselves are alright though. Something maybe you could try though would be to make one of the hands (or all of 'em!?) look like the jellyfish tentacles? For the caseback I don't really like the thin slab serif typeface used but the jellyfish embossing could be very nice I think.

The date window also I think needs to be reworked in my opinion, and I feel the bezel could do with some spice. Its zero dot is a bit too small too, if you ask me.

I find it quite interesting that you put the crown at 10. That's a very, very odd spot for a primary crown.

DEVELOPED IN DARKNESS

MWW P. Marcidus | SNGLRTY OHI-4 | GallioTempo Trident | COA Studios Eclipse
    Steinhart Ocean Titanium 500 (A10) | Spinnaker Bradner
    Ball Engineer Master II Diver TMT (P1J) | Tudor Pelagos LHD | Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight

Doublepost.

DEVELOPED IN DARKNESS

Ball Engineer Master II Diver TMT (P1J) | Tudor Pelagos LHD | Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sponsor

Thanks for taking the time to give feedback Karriope, it's greatly appreciated!

Re: dial colours, yes, the pink has definitely been polarising, and has actually poled pretty well against the black; the blue has been the favourite by a long shot.

Completely agree with you re: lugs - they don't look right at all in this render.
    Here is a different case render that shows the lug shape better:

Name:  lug render.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  1.21 MB

Oh, and the whole case will be brushed (another issue with this render).

Love the jellyfish tentacle idea - very cool :)

Yes, the 10 o'clock crown placement is another design element that has divided opinion. We wanted to go with something a little unconventional, and like the way Citizen have used the 8 o'clock position on some of their models.
    For left-handers (or people who wear watches on their right hand), it definitely makes the crown more accessible.
    For the majority (righties or left-hand wearers), it prevents the crown from digging into the hand, which is nice.

Thanks again!
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MAS Watches View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to give feedback Karriope, it's greatly appreciated!

Re: dial colours, yes, the pink has definitely been polarising, and has actually poled pretty well against the black; the blue has been the favourite by a long shot.

Completely agree with you re: lugs - they don't look right at all in this render.
    Here is a different case render that shows the lug shape better:

Oh, and the whole case will be brushed (another issue with this render).

Love the jellyfish tentacle idea - very cool :)

Yes, the 10 o'clock crown placement is another design element that has divided opinion. We wanted to go with something a little unconventional, and like the way Citizen have used the 8 o'clock position on some of their models.
    For left-handers (or people who wear watches on their right hand), it definitely makes the crown more accessible.
    For the majority (righties or left-hand wearers), it prevents the crown from digging into the hand, which is nice.

Thanks again!
    Matt
    You're welcome! As someone who's trying to design something myself it's getting increasingly interesting to comment on others.

The magenta's definitely polarizing - I don't think I can match it to most outfits, as opposed to disliking it.

I was wondering how your case shape looked - the tapering case is more clear here whereas I'd been wondering if it was just a small bezel and dial and wider maincase. It's nice looking, but I wonder a little if it might affect grip on the bezel. Usually the wisdom is a wider bezel is easier to grasp. But it looks unusual which I like.
    Lug shape looks fine from that angle but they are pretty thin for a diver, they kinda seem mismatched to the bellish case.

Going for a brushed case adds a more utilitarian look which can go either way, but should balance out the vibrance of the pink.
    The destro crown is something I like and wish had more options, but generally setting crowns are not offset upwards - usually 8 or 4, not 10 or 2. I think ergonomically it's easier to manipulate a crown that's at 4/8 than 2/10.
    Last edited by Karriope; April 2nd, 2019 at 15:59. Reason: removing the image attachments, because, you know, that takes up space.

DEVELOPED IN DARKNESS

I like the case shape, but I believe the lugs design doesn't match the theme - they are too thin and dressy. I would have preferred something beefier.

Dials look nice, but maybe a bit to dull. Maybe it is because the pictures are so big and it creates all these empty spaces; on the real scale it would probably look just fine. Did you have them manufactured by a 3rd party factory or did you make them yourself?

A pink diver. Thats rather unsual. But great dial and case design overall.

Good luck with your project!

Suggestion:

Yellow bezel, black dial.

Name this version "sea wasp"

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chironex_fleckeri

Something else I think that just popped to me is that the seconds hand is also too short for my taste, like the minute hand. The counterbalance on the other hand seems a tad long.

DEVELOPED IN DARKNESS

Sponsor

Haha, yes, the magenta will definitely be more difficult to outfit-match than your standard blue/black/silver affair!

Thank you again for the feedback - it's certainly an enjoyable part of the design process hearing from others, and understanding where different eyes are drawn to; which features stand out etc. :)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information