Field Watch Making Project - Page 4
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Field Watch Making Project

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Field Watch Making Project

Quote Originally Posted by utzelu View Post
    This weekend I spent some time working on a caseback for a project. Like your watch, the case back is made in stainless steel (304 grade). I had a hard time drilling holes in it and I am not sure it was because of the work hardening of the metal or due to poor quality drills. I just could not go deeper than 1 mm into the metal. Could you please share your drilling technique for stainless steel?
    Hi!
    Are you running your own watchmaking project?
    I assume that you used normal High Speed Steel drill, it might become useless soon, because stainless steel is very hard and stiff.
    When I make a hole on SUS material, I don't use HSS drill but Vanadium/Cobalt-HSS with titan coated(if possible) one. It is more expensive than the former, but it is very effective and has a long life for SUS work.
    And cutting/drilling oil is required. I'm not sure about the thickness you want to go through, you should open the hole little by little, by repeating up and down drill chuck, in higher speed rotation.
    Hope this helps. I wish you the best!

Sponsor

What a great project - you should be really proud of your achievements!
    With a little refinement (smooth edges, some custom decoration on the caseback) this will be such a gorgeous one of a kind!

Every timepiece has a story to tell...

​IG: @maswatches

Sponsor

What a great project - you should be really proud of your achievements!
    With a little refinement (smooth edges, some custom decoration on the caseback) this will be such a gorgeous one of a kind!

Every timepiece has a story to tell...

​IG: @maswatches

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hello everyone.
    Thank you for all the encouraging comments!

Well, I made some changes to my watch design.
    Name:  fw_106.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  115.9 KBName:  fw_109.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  98.3 KB

First, I changed the movement from mechanical ETA2824 to quartz ETA due to cost issues. The two movements have completely different drive methods, but the dial specifications are the same. Therefore, there is no need to redesign the dial.
    The second point is to slightly increase the thickness of the bezel and back cover. I felt that the back of the prototype was too thin. In addition, the lug side of the case was inclined. I think these changes will make it easier to put the NATO strap through the rug. By the way, I changed the fixed bar to a spring bar.
    Name:  fw_107.jpg
Size:  55.5 KBName:  fw_108.jpg
Size:  93.8 KB

As for the name of this watch, how about "Yama-Kami"?
    It means The God of the Mountain (山神) in Japanese. He was a guardian god for lumberjacks and farmers as well as a fearful spirit. It should be correctly described as "Yama-Gami", but I think that the former is a candidate as foreigners think it is difficult to understand the difference between "Ka" and "Ga". The sound of that word is also good.

I intended to make it with stainless steel, but it may be good to make it with aluminum. It is lightweight, has sufficient strength, and is easy to cut. However, if aluminum is used, anodizing will be required. There is a concern as to how much cost it will cost, or if you can find a company that will accept even small lots.

By the way, here is another design.
    Actually, this is for 3D printing. The material is resin.
    As you know, 3D printing has many design limitations. Therefore, the bezel and the body are integrated, and the shape of the back cover is also greatly changed. This design remains fixed lug bars to ensure strength.
    Name:  fw_110.jpg
Size:  126.8 KBName:  fw_111.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  116.5 KB
    Name:  fw_112.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  121.3 KB

This is the first challenge for me, so I do not know if it will proceed successfully, but now I'm asking Shapeways for prototype prints, so I would like to report the results again. This may be faster than the original project.

Thank you!
    dspt and Jeff Scott like this.

I think that it is more appropriate to stick to the name "yamagami". It is more reflective of your heritage and culture. I do not know of anyone who says "shinikami" or the like, most non-Japanese speakers would be unlikely to be discriminatory as they would not necessarily know that "kami" on its own as a noun refers to divine entities or gods, and would perhaps treat "yamagami" as a word on its own, rather than think that it is "yama" and "gami" ("kami").
    If you are not writing the name in Kanji on your watch, it is even less likely to cause confusion for foreigners.

DEVELOPED IN DARKNESS

MWW P. Marcidus | SNGLRTY OHI-4 | GallioTempo Trident | COA Studios Eclipse
    Steinhart Ocean Titanium 500 (A10) | Spinnaker Bradner
    Ball Engineer Master II Diver TMT (P1J) | Tudor Pelagos LHD | Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight

Making the case in aluminium is OK since it is for yourself, but like you mentioned, it needs anodizing, since aluminium will oxidize on contact with the skin. This is an extra process you would need to do and it's OK if you have the capability to do it yourself or to outsource it.

3D printing is a sensible choice when designing the prototype case, as it is a cost effective way to assess your design before starting machining. I too am taking advantage of this technology.

Regarding the new prototype, I quite like the caseback. It's not round as usual and has a nice fillet around it. I am curious how are you gonna machine this fillet feature, since you don't use CNC.

All the best

A bit chunky for a field watch, no?

Nice interimlamb. Your watch projects are always great too follow and see your results. I wish you all the best with this one, and will be following :D

Quote Originally Posted by DECO665 View Post
    A bit chunky for a field watch, no?
    I think his definition of a field watch is not the norm as we know it. It's more of a personalized beater that he is making here - a watch he would wear out and about in the 'field', rather than 'field watch' as in the stylistic genre as we know it.

DEVELOPED IN DARKNESS

MWW P. Marcidus | SNGLRTY OHI-4 | GallioTempo Trident | COA Studios Eclipse
    Steinhart Ocean Titanium 500 (A10) | Spinnaker Bradner
    Ball Engineer Master II Diver TMT (P1J) | Tudor Pelagos LHD | Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight

wow, thank you so much for the insight, this is so cool!
    Omega Seamaster Pro 2351.80
    Ball Fireman Racer DLC

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information