First dial concept

Thread: First dial concept

First dial concept

G'day all,

I recently downloaded the 3D software Blender and wanted to start modelling. I'm thinking of making some watch concepts, just for fun, and decided to start with the dial.
    Now I have not gone through any concept drawing and have no background whatsoever in design, but just kind of came up with things as they came along.

To start, I just finished a pretty basic dial with some inspirations from Seiko and Citizen dials that I have seen, and a dash of "creative genius". Here's my first concept.

Name:  faucondialblueprint1.JPG
Views: 61
Size:  217.2 KB

It's called Faucon because thats the French word for Falcon, which is my surname, and because everything sounds 10x fancier in French. I added the text lines "Oiseau de Proie", meaning "Bird of Prey" (like Falcons), and some generic "Mouvement Mécanique" text.

The bottom says "Petit a petit, l'oiseau fait son nid", French for "Little by little, the bird creates its nest".
    I thought it was a fun phrase and quite like the idea of a subtle proverb at the bottom of the dial.

Please let me know your thoughts, I'd love to hear them (good or bad)!

Cheers,
    TJ
    "Normally I get my stuff from dealers"

Here's a classic: https://youtu.be/aCPRfA6W00k

I'll buy anything made by Ford honestly

Re: First dial concept

I think it’s a nice first effort! Looking forward to seeing some color and 3D modeling. Hard to tell in this 2D grayscale.

Quote Originally Posted by Brey17 View Post
    I think it’s a nice first effort! Looking forward to seeing some color and 3D modeling. Hard to tell in this 2D grayscale.
    Thank you!

The 3D model itself is actually already modeled for the majority, see below (dial text is blue for legibility against the grey dial).

Name:  faucondial2.JPG
Views: 47
Size:  60.2 KB

I'm still completely new to the software (had it since Sunday) so I'm still entirely unfamiliar with texturing, coloring etc.

I'm still not entirely happy about the thickness of the text, I think I might decrease that when I find the time. I think the dial itself should be done though, adding more would make it too cluttered. I'm also not too satisfied with the "lume dots", so to speak. They feel slightly off with the style of the dial.
    It's just a generic first draft but I'm excited to explore some creative ideas with this software.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Looks great.. any 3D pictures of it yet?

Quote Originally Posted by ProdCastDesign View Post
    Looks great.. any 3D pictures of it yet?
    Thanks!

For the 3D render see the comment above. The blue is just for legibility when editing the model.
    I'm still fairly unfamiliar with texturing so for now I don't have any textures.

Main thing I'd change is the typefaces used but it otherwise looks like a good start for a dressier design.

DEVELOPED IN DARKNESS

MWW P. Marcidus | SNGLRTY OHI-4 | GallioTempo Trident | COA Studios Eclipse
    Steinhart Ocean Titanium 500 (A10) | Spinnaker Bradner
    Ball Engineer Master II Diver TMT (P1J) | Tudor Pelagos LHD | Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight

Quote Originally Posted by Karriope View Post
    Main thing I'd change is the typefaces used but it otherwise looks like a good start for a dressier design.
    What would be the sort of typeface you'd recommend?

I think a thinner serif or an elegant sans-serif would be more in harmony with the design. The slab-serif you're using now is a bit... loud and looks more like something you'd see on a bar sign.

DEVELOPED IN DARKNESS

MWW P. Marcidus | SNGLRTY OHI-4 | GallioTempo Trident | COA Studios Eclipse
    Steinhart Ocean Titanium 500 (A10) | Spinnaker Bradner
    Ball Engineer Master II Diver TMT (P1J) | Tudor Pelagos LHD | Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight

Hi Valksing,

Using 3D letters like this is (IMHO) not good. It makes the letters quite difficult to read. Plus it will probably be a pain to manufacture.
    Why don't you use simple printing ? There are some very nice print methods that make the letters slightly curved on the surface, with several layers of inks.

Also, you must make your dial larger, as you must take into account that about 1 or 1.5mm of the outside dial will be hidden under the case.
    On your dial here, there is almost no margin.
    What you can do is take a watch, remove the movement and dial from the case, and measure the overal dial diameter, and the diameter of the visible part of the dial. And you'll see that there is about 2 or 3 mm difference.

Thread Information