First true Nixie watch concept
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: First true Nixie watch concept

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

First true Nixie watch concept

Hi All,

I have been reading this forum from time to time for a few years now, and I am happy that I finally have something to show to this community. Although I was not into watches before, I came up with idea to make a nixie watch, first true one.

For those who are not familiar with nixie tubes, those were indicating tubes manufactured between 1950 and 1970 and were used as first digital numerical displays.
    Nixie tube - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, this display is actually neon gas glowing in a shape of a number, which makes it very unique and retro. There has been a couple of designs in last decade which used old, unused, small nixie tubes. Those have usually two or one tube which than can show only two or one digits at once.

Anyway, 3 years ago I started to work on a design of a single nixie tube which can show 4 digits at once and which would be suitable for a watch. It started as a hobby but it turned out to be much more.
    Now, three years later, after many prototypes, I am weeks close to manufacture a final prototype of the 4 digit nixie tube.
    Photo attached is a current concept design of the watch case. However, the dimensions are real ones - 48mm diameter, 13mm thickness, 24mm strap width.

Name:  SS_CF_HI1.JPG
Views: 2446
Size:  88.5 KB

I am not a designer, but an engineer (electronics) so this design is a little minimalistic, but the digits actually look like this and usually are more bright.

I would like to hear some opinions on this watch concept - would you like to have a true neon glowing on your wrist?

I'll put some more details in if you are interested.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Re: First true Nixie watch concept

I think minimalist and nixie are a good match. Was the choice of a 48mm round case dictated by the hardware? And can you explain the device on the left side of the case. How does it work?
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

I think it's a cool idea. There are loads of parts and electronics available out to build a clock but in watch format is great. I believe watch size may be dictated by hardware. I saw a nixie watch on YouTube but it was a monster. Rectangular and like 56mm, poss more, across. Depending on price I would be up for one of these. It's different and cool
    JR

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Cool design....The crowns look a little tiny I would bump them up a notch

Thanks for your comments, guys.

The thing on the left side is a solution for a waterproof USB connector. See the image:

Name:  SS_CF_HI2.JPG
Views: 2153
Size:  78.3 KB

This watch needs to be recharged once a month since nixie tubes needs a lot of power. I am still thinking of using wireless charging but that might bring up the thickness too much.
    There are two push buttons on the right side.

The dimensions are as minimal as possible, I worked hard to make the tube inside very small, and I can say it hits the limit.

Design of the case will probably be different - there is a possibility of using a rectangular case, but I never liked those too much. Anyway, even if it is rectangular it will have to be 45x45mm which is too much for a rectangular watch.
    I recently purchased Vostok Europe Anchar so I can have a filling how is it to wear a big watch (48,5mm dia. 16mm thickness), and I actually enjoy it.
    RTB and mattcardinal like this.

I'm loving this, I'd love to get my hands on one of your 'movements' so I could design and build a case for it, bronze would work and go down the steam punk route. please let us know if we could buy a movement when they go into production, I now have access to a very good 3D printer, I could make prototypes in a few hours now instead of CNCing aluminium all the time :)

I wish you good luck with this :)
    The Guvnah and RTB like this.

So is this design project testing the water to turn it in to reality? @ mark Daniels, i really like the sound of a bronze case, I think it would work very well with the Nixies.
    @ Vladimir, size on this would be everything. I think between 45 and 48 mm cam get away with that in a round case but square would just be a monster. Keep us posted on progress. Any ideas on possible price for a finished watch? And one more thing. The usb charging is sneaky and great. Fools the eye in to thinking it may be a slide activator. A brilliant blend of old meets new tech
    JR

Production version of the tube inside will be finished soon, in a couple of weeks. I'll post some photos of assembled tubes when I finish.
    @MarkDaniels, once the production starts I'll might give off some of the tubes to enthusiasts, for free. I am not afraid of stealing technology because it would be very hard to copy this technology, it took me 3 years to get where I am now, and it was not easy.
    I'll hire a professional designer soon and he will design a new case and a dial with my constraints to have a better look. USB cover hand stays, maybe in a different style. Steampunk style is an option too, I'll probably make some a limited edition once the production starts. I have another project pending for a watch with 4 small real glass tubes arranged one beside the other. Crystal for that watch will be an elliptic tube all around those 4 tubes. Still working on mechanics, but that will be very suitable for a Steampunk design.

@stonehead I agree on the size, and I always liked round watches better. I have tried to narrow it down to 46mm diameter, but I needed space for hardware, it is very tricky.
    I am still not sure about price. Making of the tube is very expensive process, completely developed from scratch, and the parts are expensive too. Just for parts to make the tube, I cooperate with more than 10 manufacturing companies from US, Europe, China and India. It will all depend on tube cost. For now, my target price is between $500 and $1500, but it might be more. I would like to hear your comments about that, how much money would people want to give for something like this, and how much people would like it in a first place? So far, custom made nixie watches with old tubes (Kopriso and CathodeCorner) were between $400 and $1200, but this will be a real watch manufactured hopefully in big series.

I'll probably start a Kickstarter campaign in a few months.

Appreciate the comments!
    The Guvnah and RTB like this.

Wow ! Loving the design and the idea. Hope it all goes well!
    Current collection:

16610LV (Black insert) Sub
    2500C Omega Planet Ocean

Quote Originally Posted by vladimirVD View Post
    Production version of the tube inside will be finished soon, in a couple of weeks. I'll post some photos of assembled tubes when I finish.
    @MarkDaniels, once the production starts I'll might give off some of the tubes to enthusiasts, for free. I am not afraid of stealing technology because it would be very hard to copy this technology, it took me 3 years to get where I am now, and it was not easy.
    I'll hire a professional designer soon and he will design a new case and a dial with my constraints to have a better look. USB cover hand stays, maybe in a different style. Steampunk style is an option too, I'll probably make some a limited edition once the production starts. I have another project pending for a watch with 4 small real glass tubes arranged one beside the other. Crystal for that watch will be an elliptic tube all around those 4 tubes. Still working on mechanics, but that will be very suitable for a Steampunk design.
    That would be fantastic, I would gladly pay for one :) I look forward to seeing the assembled tubes :)

I have a SevenFriday P2/01 and I think that shape and size case would suit your Nixie tube concept, maybe a collaboration to build a watch together using your concept, just a thought :)

I think hiring a pro designer is the way to go and also getting it on Kickstarter is a good way of getting it out there, more and more people are looking at it for 'the next best thing' I wish you luck :)

The 4 small tubes in line sounds interesting, I look forward to seeing some pics, sounds like your a busy man.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information