Gnomon Watch - the project combining sun dial inspired design with modern wristwatch
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Gnomon Watch - the project combining sun dial inspired design with modern wristwatch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gnomon Watch - the project combining sun dial inspired design with modern wristwatch

Hi everyone!

I want to introduce you the project I'm currently working on. It's called Gnomon. Me and my friends found a lot of inspiration in ancient time tellers, like sun dials, nocturnals and other different interesting tools and decided to try to turn it into a wristwatch. So here it is. We've chosen a single hand format since it looks the most authentic way to keep up with the concept. The single hand refers to the gnomon of ancient Roman sun dials as well as overall design as well as to a shadow it casts. The dial has two layers - outer with hour Roman markings referring to the sun dial's surface and the inner which is made of an artificially worn out steel with a unique texture. It's protected by the domed crystal from the front and by the tranparent back lid from the back. The backlid also has the zodiac engraving with signs corresponding to the Roman indexes on the dial. We're also going to complete the watch with Italian hand made leather straps.

Plese, share your thoughts on my projects. Do you like it? Do you think we're doing a good job and should proceed with it? Below are the photos of the actual prototypes so you can judge the product, not the concept.

Name:  photo_1_????? ??????.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  40.0 KB
    Name:  photo_3_????? ??????.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  47.8 KB
    Name:  photo_black_5_????? ??????.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  34.0 KB
    Name:  photo_black_8_????? ??????.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  38.7 KB
    Name:  photo_black_11_????? ??????.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  35.1 KB
    Name:  photo_gold_2_????? ??????.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  32.1 KB
    Name:  photo_silver_4_????? ??????.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  15.8 KB

Re: Gnomon Watch - the project combining sun dial inspired design with modern wristwatch

Name:  photo_black_17_новый размер.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  17.3 KB

Here's the wrist view!

Re: Gnomon Watch - the project combining sun dial inspired design with modern wristwatch

I certainly hope your name is Anders...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like one-handers, so a great project. But I'm not sure if the clean minimalist outer circle combines well with worn metal inner circle
    another issue is that the hand sits a bit tall above the dial

No, my name is James and my project isn't affiliated with the watch store. Gnomon is the name of the model and is called after a part of a sundial.

dspt, thanks for the feedback! Yes, I realize the issue with the hand's height. It will be fixed in the next revision!

The launch is coming very soon! Stay tuned for the updates :)

I really like the black dial version. Well done!

The case back is gorgeous! 44mm would be perfect IMO - looking forward to updates.
    It seems I have too few wrists...

The case is 43 mm by the way, no a big difference :) 44 mm would be quite a heavy burden for ladies' wrists I thought.

Thanks! It looks MUCH more spectacular in "flesh". Hope we'll see the day when I'm not the only one to realize it :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information