Let's talk designing: is this something we like? - Page 3
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Let's talk designing: is this something we like?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Let's talk designing: is this something we like?

I know but it is still not the same as cut from stock.. the material is more sensitive to dents and scratches an
    As you need supportmaterial you will have to ease th scars after cutting loose.. tolerances are about factor 10 better than you would need for e.g, a pressfit bottom..

This is about shaft to hole tolerances for a given nominal shaft with h7 IT similar table is also available for a nomjnal hole H7 IT the letter tells the tolerance field and the Number tells the quality of the dimension tolerance
    Smaller number is better tolerance but more difficult to manufacture..

Passungssystem - Einheitsbohrung & Einheitswelle

I know what you are talking about but as you see the steps... you will not have much fun with it.. Its a thermal process in a heat conducting material..so the heat spot is not 0 dimensional but affects the particles around.. so you may achieve tolerances within the 0.xmm area but you need 0.0x mm for the normal tolerances between watchparts..

On the job we do this process in Polyamide and Aluminium but I would not recommend both for watchparts..

Perhaps your process is better but a German watchmaker did the step you plan to do. Here it is Alumide Material.. rather middle of the pagd..

https://blog.nienaber-uhren.de/page/5/
    Last edited by MechaMind; September 2nd, 2019 at 23:18.
    ProdCastDesign likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaMind View Post
    I know but it is still not the same as cut from stock.. the material is more sensitive to dents and scratches an
    As you need supportmaterial you will have to ease th scars after cutting loose.. tolerances are about factor 10 better than you would need for e.g, a pressfit bottom..

This is about shaft to hole tolerances for a given nominal shaft with h7 IT similar table is also available for a nomjnal hole H7 IT the letter tells the tolerance field and the Number tells the quality of the dimension tolerance
    Smaller number is better tolerance but more difficult to manufacture..

Passungssystem - Einheitsbohrung & Einheitswelle

I know what you are talking about but as you see the steps... you will not have much fun with it.. Its a thermal process in a heat conduchting material..so the heat spot is not 0 dimensional but affects the particles around.. so you may achieve tolerances within the 0.xmm area but you need 0.0x mm for the normal tolerances between watchparts..

On the job we do this process in Polyamide and Aluminium but I would not recommend both for watchparts..
    And there my knowledge comes short...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

If you ask me, to mass produce the crown, you can use laser sintering to produce a mould for injection molding the crown in metal.

DEVELOPED IN DARKNESS

MWW P. Marcidus | SNGLRTY OHI-4 | GallioTempo Trident | COA Studios Eclipse
    Steinhart Ocean Titanium 500 (A10) | Spinnaker Bradner
    Ball Engineer Master II Diver TMT (P1J) | Tudor Pelagos LHD | Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I' d like to see the results. Assumed the crown to be 8mm diameter ..in my eyes that is huge.. so the logo would be appr 2.5 mm in diameter consistent of chamfered lines and rather deep gaps in between which I would guess to be 0.2 to 0.3mm wide so the chamfer would be of 0.03 to 0.05 mm width.. thats below any standard sintering process I know, - exceptional some micro sintering processes which cannot be used for molds . The size should be possible for for micro edm (but you would have to structure the electrodes for that spark erosion process )and has the largest potential to be done with micro structuring technologies. Depends one the level of details you would expect to have on your crown.

I know two guys both retired and both watchmakers who earned their living also with prototyping watches for well known brands of the 70th and 80th.. the younger retired 5 years ago and told me that the prototype of a standard watch with a given/ existing movement was about 10 to 12 k at that time in Germany.

I know two guys both retired and both watchmakers who earned their living also with prototyping watches for well known brands of the 70th and 80th.. the younger retired 5 years ago and told me that the prototype of a standard watch with a given/ existing movement was about 10 to 12 k at that time in Germany.
    Love to prototype.... Can do that all day. But also would love to see a model of mine 'coming to life' so with your skillsand knowledge...

If you want to do it or get it done from original material you will probably have to pay the full blown way.. doing this e traordinary design will probably be a showstopper as you include different disciplines which would have to develop the technology to generate your parts ( e.g. the crystal). You will not even the bubble crystal for the 10k budget since the technology would have to be developed.. you need tools for that .. and have to take the costs... if you are skilled you have the possibility to cast and sculpt it from clay or such.. much easier to handle then steel or Aluminium or perhaps you could use dental modeling wax..

Believe me ... the way you want to go is probably not the way you want to spend the money for..

If you want to do it or get it done from original material you will probably have to pay the full blown way.. doing this e traordinary design will probably be a showstopper as you include different disciplines which would have to develop the technology to generate your parts ( e.g. the crystal). You will not even the bubble crystal for the 10k budget since the technology would have to be developed.. you need tools for that .. and have to take the costs... if you are skilled you have the possibility to cast and sculpt it from clay or such.. much easier to handle then steel or Aluminium or perhaps you could use dental modeling wax..

Believe me ... the way you want to go is probably not the way you want to spend the money for..
    So your advice is more like my model in this string...

You have a visual 3 d model.
    .. is it a real existing movement in it or a dummy after your spec?
    You have geometries which are modelled in ideal dimensions no one can manufacture and will have to accept tolerances you can't calculate / estimate?
    Your design is not optimized for manufacturing as a single piece off and manufacturing technologies for parts
    of our project are not fully clear
    You have a VERY costly way towards your goal to have it done as a real watch

My advice is go small steps, you can trust in and try to gain as much safety in your design by doing work yourself befor you ask a manufacturer for service.. you probably will have the same hole in the purse afterwards as when buying a solid flag ship watch from JL, or IWC.

If you would be able to I would think about digging into manufacturing technologies. If you would still not be able to.. learn to turn or to mill
    So you learn about the difficulties of your design.
    Last edited by MechaMind; 4 Weeks Ago at 16:38.

I like the way watches are made.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information