Microbrand University- Business Accelerator
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Microbrand University- Business Accelerator

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Microbrand University- Business Accelerator

Wondering if anyone has seen this and is considering going?
    Seems like a good opportunity if you are thinking about or in the process of starting your own brand...

https://workshop.microbrandu.com/
    firebynight likes this.

Re: Microbrand University- Business Accelerator

Huh, there are some big names behind this. Doc Vail is one of the big success stories for microbrands, so he's likely to have real advice to give.

$1,250 doesn't too wild like what some of those business or get-rich scheme seminars can ask for, but it's not low enough for me to say I'd jump right away. Plus, no travel or lodging expenses are included.

As you say, it sounds like a pretty good opportunity, especially for someone who's thinking about starting out on something as risky as this. Can't say it's not worth some serious consideration.
    ArdorandForge likes this.

DEVELOPED IN DARKNESS

MWW P. Marcidus | SNGLRTY OHI-4 | GallioTempo Trident | COA Studios Eclipse
    Steinhart Ocean Titanium 500 (A10) | Spinnaker Bradner
    Ball Engineer Master II Diver TMT (P1J) | Tudor Pelagos LHD | Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight

In Germany you can join such courses - ok, no that VIP loaded - at the local crafts council.. no big show .. no far travel, but much information about setting up your own business... I think 1250bucks is a sum you 'd previously would have to know what the content is.. and know the basics to be able to follow the speakers.. otherwise its just an expensive meet and greet.

I had such an event once - related to an automotive project. Good show, but at the end less than 20% rather matched the reason why I joined this... and for 3600 bucks+ environmental costs. And years after boring calls and advertizing for other similar events... I'd keep it small but focussed on the first structural steps like a business model instead of listening to speakers which sometimes had the luck of an easier highter demanded or less speculative branche than watches are or a better or worse time to join tbe business. As long as you would not be be a highly established and solid state brand, but a fragile and rarely established newcommer without a fix base on selling. Rather no reliable customers and litte trust of the market what you are doing... but thats just me.. information is a good thing as long as you have the knowledge background to filter what's good for jour case and which information is not. I personally don't believe in a manual for success. There are too many non - Billionaieres out there..
    Last edited by MechaMind; February 10th, 2019 at 09:32.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Very interesting opportunity!! Don't think the price is too high and love the expert opinion served at the event! Looks like a great use of time for an up and coming Micro Brand!!

Right in my back yard, although I'm not looking to start a microbrand. Looks like fun though

I had exchanged a few emails with the founder of a microbrand, and I found it interesting that he was able to pursue a government loan in his country to help start that type of business. I can only imagine the time and red tape, but that kind of measure could help with the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaMind View Post
    information is a good thing as long as you have the knowledge background to filter what's good for jour case and which information is not...
    I think you hit the nail on the head with this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by centaur View Post
    I had exchanged a few emails with the founder of a microbrand, and I found it interesting that he was able to pursue a government loan in his country to help start that type of business. I can only imagine the time and red tape, but that kind of measure could help with the risk.
    Wow, yeah that sounds like quite the opportunity with a government loan. I wonder what the terms would be though...a loan is still a loan. I hate owing people money.

Well, I ended up taking the plunge here and attending the workshop put on by Chris Vail, John Keil, Joshua Irons, and John Tooher the week before last.

I believe they plan to do more in the future. My recommendation for anyone out there who might consider: DO IT! If you were considering going and decided not to, you missed out. Since I made the decision about 2 years ago to pursue this dream, I’ve attended several conferences, paid for webinars hosted online, and was even accepted into a 10-week Startup Accelerator program at Penn State University. I don’t have anything negative to say about those experiences, I actually learned a lot from them, and I think they enabled me to ask smarter questions when I went last week. But, the value I received from these 4 guys last week, specific to launching and running a microbrand rather than just a small business in general terms, was extremely valuable.

Every other instructional program I attended previously was taught at a broad “here’s how to start a business” perspective. I went to school for Industrial Design, they didn’t teach us how to run a business in my classes. So, while the general business instruction was super helpful for me in some regards, it didn’t always translate. Having instruction specific to this industry, from guys who have actually done it, who have made some mistakes along the way, but have ultimately been successful, was way more applicable and valuable.

I am definitely thankful for the opportunity to have been a part of this, and would recommend it to anyone who is thinking about starting a brand. Looking forward to applying the knowledge, and hopefully I’ll see you guys again soon with new prototypes.

Name:  041319 (2).jpg
Views: 217
Size:  104.3 KB
    Last edited by ArdorandForge; April 23rd, 2019 at 16:09.

Hmmm looks interesting! Thanks for taking the plunge and reporting back

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information