Recommended Watch Factories? - Page 2
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Recommended Watch Factories?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Recommended Watch Factories?

Quote Originally Posted by Karriope View Post
    Due to the nature of 3D printing, I don't think you need to find one that specializes in watches per se, but you might want to also consider what you want you want it printed of. Some companies specialize in metal printing, others only in plastics, some larger ones may be able to do a much wider range of materials and then there are some that specialize in large scale products in a build space that spans in the metres.

If you want some high precision/accuracy results with excellent finishing, I'd suggest laser sintering.
    I'm just prototyping, so I figured I didn't require fine printing. I ended up going with Shapeways and used their least expensive material (versatile plastic). With everything set to cheapo mode, it's only $5-$6 per part and came out to a total of around $30 shipped. Super stoked to use this service for rapid prototyping.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajaccio View Post
    The $500 is only the Chinese factory making your sample watch.
    If you have someone design your watch, and/or have someone make a 3D model of it (for example in Solidworks), you'll have to pay them.

I have enough knowledge on 3D software, so that I could do this part on my own. 3D printing the first prototype (in resin) was about $30.

Or you may even try to ask the Chinese company to transform your drawing into a watch. Shouldn't be a real problem for them.

My advice : If you have an idea, go for it ! Don't ask other people if they like it or not. If YOU like it, and if YOU want to have your own watch at your wrist, that's all that matters.
    I would love to do this, but am daunted by the sheer numbers of manufacturers out there. I appreciate that these things are commercially sensitive, but surely there is enough capacity out there that people could share some recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by morri View Post
    I would love to do this, but am daunted by the sheer numbers of manufacturers out there. I appreciate that these things are commercially sensitive, but surely there is enough capacity out there that people could share some recommendations?
    Without knowing what you are doing, recommendations can only go so far. We have no idea what price range you are aiming for, your timeline, where you're located (for support), the amount of funds, the complexity of the watch, or even the type of watch and materials you need... and that's the most basic info.

Besides, recommendations from random people you don't know aren't going to be entirely helpful. They could have not done their HW either. The best thing to do is to talk to the factories and gauge them yourself. Communication alone can be the deciding factor. Ask for references, ask for samples of projects and manufacturer's they've worked with, tell them to redact brand info even... but at least request to see some of their work/capabilities. Like you said, there are dozens if not hundreds of these types of companies. If one doesn't respond, you can move on. You want a partner that can reassure you with everything. Even if I recommend a factory, who knows? They might not work with chronographs, or titanium for instance or things YOU want done. I can only say that they are decent with a specific watch design - not necessarily yours. They could be the worst partner for you in fact. This also applies the opposite way too. Good luck with the project!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Name:  Watch2018_Scene 29d.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  79.9 KBName:  exploded viewSKP2.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  420.6 KB This kind of thing..... I am based in Paris

Quote Originally Posted by mzinski View Post
    Hi, I’ve been recently diving headlong into a watch design that I’d like to make a reality. I wonder if anyone can recommend a watch factory (anywhere world wide, but FWIW I’m located West Coast, USA).
    I would like to work with someone who can help me produce a working prototype without the commitment to a full production run. If the prototype is successful and elicits enough interest, I’d then go onto producing more.
    I have two leads with factories located in China but I’m cautious and skeptical - simply because I’ve never done this before.
    If anyone can provide some advice or feedback on working with a watch factory, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!!
    I have been looking at this list-

https://bolongwatch.com/best-private...rers-in-china/

Anybody have any experience with these companies?

I have been looking at this list-

https://bolongwatch.com/best-private...rers-in-china/

Anybody have any experience with these companies?
    Interacted with a couple of them, actually...

DEVELOPED IN DARKNESS

MWW P. Marcidus | SNGLRTY OHI-4 | GallioTempo Trident | COA Studios Eclipse
    Steinhart Ocean Titanium 500 (A10) | Spinnaker Bradner
    Ball Engineer Master II Diver TMT (P1J) | Tudor Pelagos LHD | Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight

Quote Originally Posted by Karriope View Post
    Interacted with a couple of them, actually...
    Any of them to be avoided or recommended based on your experience?

Any of them to be avoided or recommended based on your experience?
    Unfortunately my experience is not enough to give a good opinion, but it seems one of them is behind a pretty successful micro.

MEIGEER also has some own-brand watches with a decent rep, and FIYTA has some pretty impressive releases of their own.

DEVELOPED IN DARKNESS

MWW P. Marcidus | SNGLRTY OHI-4 | GallioTempo Trident | COA Studios Eclipse
    Steinhart Ocean Titanium 500 (A10) | Spinnaker Bradner
    Ball Engineer Master II Diver TMT (P1J) | Tudor Pelagos LHD | Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight

I'm surprised to see Fiyta on that list as a private manufacturer - they're the Swatch group of China - hands in many pies - a few years ago they even bought out (well 51% joint venture) Beijing Watch Factory - a venerable "old" Chinese brand. It'd be like getting Swatch to make a private label watch for individuals :D
    Chascomm likes this.

well, I know Fiyta assembles Atelier Wen, for instance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information