SaStek- Time Speed Indicator- PrePrototype feedback - Page 2

Poll: Crown position preference ?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Like Tree22Likes

Thread: SaStek- Time Speed Indicator- PrePrototype feedback

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 84
  1. #11
    Member Relos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    53

    Re: SaStek- Time Speed Indicator- PrePrototype feedback

    Quote Originally Posted by Djk949 View Post
    Welcome Satek!
    That's a very cool and original watch you have created. Kudos!
    My only $0.02 is to approach it a bit 'less is more.' Personally, I would like it more without the curved arrow and "time speed indicator" words. And maybe if it were <44mm.
    But regardless, you've caught my interest!
    I agree, 44 mm might be a little large. But the short lugs might make it wear a little smaller than we predict. On paper though, I think 42 mm sounds better. To my ears, at least.

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    60

    Re: SaStek- Time Speed Indicator- PrePrototype feedback

    Hello all.. I am back after a brief hiatus.... Been trying to solve the lume conundrum and after exhausting most options including tritium tubes, I have made a few changes to the design to accommodate superluminova. This gave me some time tweak the concept slightly as well as figure out a way to render lume..which I have now!

    Could I please request suggestions whether this change to the minute dial i.e. reading it vertically is much better than the original design?

    Name:  concept5.42.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  90.6 KB
    Name:  concept5.44.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  88.2 KB

    And here is the lume render with dimming light.. Decent compromise between telling the time at night vs no lume? What do you think..

    Name:  concept5.45.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  90.9 KB
    Name:  concept5.46.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  73.5 KB
    Name:  concept5.47.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  44.7 KB

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    NEOhio
    Posts
    225

    Re: SaStek- Time Speed Indicator- PrePrototype feedback

    Hi Satek,

    I just came upon this thread (first time in this section of WUS). Very cool concept, overall. :)

    I do prefer the new location of the minutes counter, much more intuitive to read at a glance. Something that may work (better for me, anyway) would be the minutes around the outer circumference and the hours in the smaller window, sort of like a regulator but I think your design is far easier to comprehend IMO, with just the tip of the hand (no pun intended!) showing that circles the dial.

    The fast motion video of the watch in action shows how this watch would be great for hypnotizing a date, for example, if the disc could be set up to switch to something that fast. ;^P Otherwise, for my own personal needs, a standard sweep seconds hand works much better. Also, the lume looks great in those photos. As to your initial query regarding indicators/hands/numbers colors, white is a classic, and very readable, choice that you do not seem to offer?

    The 44mm size works just fine for me, even though I only have a 6 3/4" wrist (I currently have a 45mm watch that works fine for me; the lugs slope down considerably which helps in that respect).

    Regarding the location of the crown, I think the 3:00 position is more ergonomic, hence I voted for that choice.

    Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Jeff Scott; July 17th, 2015 at 06:20.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    68

    Re: SaStek- Time Speed Indicator- PrePrototype feedback

    I really like the idea, and am following it's progression intently. Congrats on coming up with a pretty unique design.

    I like the revised concept as it feels more balanced. I notice the difference in distance between the leader and the S and the arrowhead and the k on the "Time Speed Indicator" arrows and Logo, and am unsure if this will annoy myself/people. I'm sure it is probably just due to being a preliminary design and would of been ironed out eventually. I feel xMinutes could be removed as well. But isn't a deal breaker.

    I voted for the 4 o'clock position, but the crown position won't factor into whether i purchase or not.

    Choosing between blasted or PVC is hard with the renders. I'd need to see prototypes to make a more informed decision, as both option seem to work well.

  6. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    60

    Re: SaStek- Time Speed Indicator- PrePrototype feedback

    Thanks for the feedback Jeff.

    I did think along those lines initially, however, since the hour hand is below the minute hand on a movement it is tricky to pull off a similar design with that arrangement. I.e. Hour disc with a large minutes hand over it. From personal experience, unless I need to know the exact time, a quick glance at the hour hand should be enough to give an indication of the time of the day. So I though of putting more emphasis on the hour hand.

    The video was speeded up just to see the hands/disc on the watch moving. Haha.. That could be a marketing feature..Hypnotic seconds !! In reality though, I think, the second disc would be sweeping smoothly/slowly probably not even something that one would immediately notice.

    Regarding a white dial, the concept is tending towards industrial design/aviation gauges, hence the dial colour choice. I was initially only up for offering PVD coated case, however, the matte steel finish worked well with the black dials in renders hence I took that up.

    I noticed that pulling the crown of a watch tended to move it sideways along the wrist. Unless you wear the strap tightly. Hence, in addition to aesthetic reason, I added the crown at 4 so that its sort of pulled more "towards" you rather than sideways..if that makes sense?

    I would like to post in startup co. area of the forum but I am waiting for moderator approval since 2 months now!

    Thanks for the feedback.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
    Hi Satek,

    I just came upon this thread (first time in this section of WUS). Very cool concept, overall. :)

    I do prefer the new location of the minutes counter, much more intuitive to read at a glance. Something that may work (better for me, anyway) would be the minutes around the outer circumference and the hours in the smaller window, sort of like a regulator but I think your design is far easier to comprehend IMO, with just the tip of the hand (no pun intended!) showing that circles the dial.

    The fast motion video of the watch in action shows how this watch would be great for hypnotizing a date, for example, if the disc could be set up to switch to something that fast. ;^P Otherwise, for my own personal needs, a standard sweep seconds hand works much better. Also, the lume looks great in those photos. As to your initial query regarding indicators/hands/numbers colors, white is a classic, and very readable, choice that you do not seem to offer?

    The 44mm size works just fine for me, even though I only have a 6 3/4" wrist (I currently have a 45mm watch that works fine for me; the lugs slope down considerably which helps in that respect).

    Regarding the location of the crown, I think the 3:00 position is more ergonomic, hence I voted for that choice.

    Hope this helps!

  7. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    60

    Re: SaStek- Time Speed Indicator- PrePrototype feedback

    Thanks Skitzo,

    You are absolutely correct. That gap distance between the arrows and lettering is not equally spaced and would annoy me as well. It was a 12am rush to get the concept up for public feedback. Would be corrected on the final release.

    The crown position could be changed if I feel it doesnt work upon wearing physical prototypes. Its a bit easier since I dont have a date cutout on the dial.

    Both, Matte finish and PVD would work and could be mixed with various strap combos. It would boil down to personal preference really.

    Cheers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skitzo View Post
    I really like the idea, and am following it's progression intently. Congrats on coming up with a pretty unique design.

    I like the revised concept as it feels more balanced. I notice the difference in distance between the leader and the S and the arrowhead and the k on the "Time Speed Indicator" arrows and Logo, and am unsure if this will annoy myself/people. I'm sure it is probably just due to being a preliminary design and would of been ironed out eventually. I feel xMinutes could be removed as well. But isn't a deal breaker.

    I voted for the 4 o'clock position, but the crown position won't factor into whether i purchase or not.

    Choosing between blasted or PVC is hard with the renders. I'd need to see prototypes to make a more informed decision, as both option seem to work well.

  8. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    NEOhio
    Posts
    225

    Re: SaStek- Time Speed Indicator- PrePrototype feedback

    Quote Originally Posted by SaStek View Post
    Regarding a white dial, the concept is tending towards industrial design/aviation gauges, hence the dial colour choice.
    Sorry, I did not mean dial, if that is what I wrote, black is my preferred dial color, these days, too. Just all white for the minute numbers that are currently in various colors, and the tip of the hour hand. Particularly, red is a color that gets progressively harder to read as one gets older. As to the xMINUTES designation, I would lose the x and relocate the MINUTES to below the cutout for that disc if it could be fit in there; I do think it is helpful to have that on the dial, looks good to me.

    You are right about the minutes vs. the hour locations, I forgot about that minor technical logistic for a moment, there! I could get used to the hour hand sweeping along the perimeter of the dial.

    One other thing, I agree with losing the arrows, and maybe move the TIME SPEED INDICATOR designation to below the brand name in an arc, that way you'd have room at the 9H and 3H positions for day and date indicators! That would make this perfect!!! (As we get older it is nice to know what day it is ).
    Last edited by Jeff Scott; July 18th, 2015 at 02:56.

  9. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    NEOhio
    Posts
    225

    Re: SaStek- Time Speed Indicator- PrePrototype feedback

    BTW, both the brushed stainless steel, and the black PVD look great on this design. My preference, though, would be to buy the SS one.

    When did you say these would be available to purchase?
    Last edited by Jeff Scott; July 18th, 2015 at 03:01.

  10. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    60

    Re: SaStek- Time Speed Indicator- PrePrototype feedback

    Back with some updates! Thought to do something different based on the comments and add a bit more colour to the design.

    Name:  concept5.65.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  541.5 KB
    This is keeping the arrow markers while moving the word "minutes" onto the coloured ring.

    Name:  concept5.66.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  443.9 KB
    Same as above sans the arrow markers.

    Name:  concept5.68.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  651.8 KB

    Close to finalizing the design within a day or two.

  11. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    NEOhio
    Posts
    225

    Re: SaStek- Time Speed Indicator- PrePrototype feedback

    Those without the arrows look great! I like that the background for the MINUTES designation is the same color as the minutes numbers, themselves, that ties them together nicely.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. World Time Indicator – what time is it? (AWW 8)
      By Afka in forum 24 Hour watches
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: June 1st, 2018, 21:42
    2. Replies: 10
      Last Post: March 25th, 2015, 06:15
    3. Casio Speed Model Duo - Blue Speed & Green Speed
      By zeroencore in forum Casio G-Shock
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: November 9th, 2014, 12:56
    4. Replies: 2
      Last Post: April 27th, 2012, 17:17
    5. Replies: 3
      Last Post: July 25th, 2011, 13:39

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •