Two Designs... Which should I try to work on? - Page 2
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Two Designs... Which should I try to work on?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Two Designs... Which should I try to work on?

Idea for you to implement the date at 6 without chaning current design. How about the instead of a marker at six, you use the shape as a dial cutout to show the date wheel below? Then, if you lumed the entire datewheel, you'd not really notice any break in symmetry in the dark, if you follow what I mean?

I really like the second one (like the first one too, but not a fan of white/light dials). Has that aggressive samurai-like angled lugs and an interesting play on the round indices look. I have a few suggestions/comments:

1. I feel that the inner ring of blue 24 hour indices is distracting and dates the dial with (for me) allusions to Hamilton-type field watch dials.. You got a really cool Hex/Diamond-index design, I would like to see what this one will look like if you really go full bore with those and make them somewhat (or much-) larger while removing the 24 hour scale and keeping the 12-4-8 guide-lines..

2. The particular "purplish" hue of the color blue you use doesn't sing to me, I just photoshopped it into a "desaturated sky-blue" using Hue-Saturation controls and am liking that much better.. Personal preference obviously.

Anyway, those are my thoughts, love the lume layout too!

t3tan3k
    Last edited by t3tan3k; November 13th, 2018 at 07:25.

Quote Originally Posted by JimFava View Post
    What about leaving the triangular shape at the 3, 6, and 9... the way you have it lumed?
    That might work, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by daves2889 View Post
    Idea for you to implement the date at 6 without chaning current design. How about the instead of a marker at six, you use the shape as a dial cutout to show the date wheel below? Then, if you lumed the entire datewheel, you'd not really notice any break in symmetry in the dark, if you follow what I mean?
    I originally came up with the shape to actually fit a date window at six inside the luminous shape, making all markers 'hollow' save for 12'o'clock. However, to fit the date window cleanly in the marker at a 40mm size instead of a 38mm size, would require a considerably smaller dial, or a much larger indice.
    A luminous date wheel sounds good, and I kinda intend to find out how viable that is for manufacture. Draken managed that on the Kalahari, but the Kalahari has a very small date wheel rather than a full-size one. Apart from the cost of the lume material there's actually also the fact that adding lume does add weight which can affect drive characteristics.

Quote Originally Posted by t3tan3k View Post
    I really like the second one (like the first one too, but not a fan of white/light dials). Has that aggressive samurai-like angled lugs and an interesting play on the round indices look. I have a few suggestions/comments:

1. I feel that the inner ring of blue 24 hour indices is distracting and dates the dial with (for me) allusions to Hamilton-type field watch dials.. You got a really cool Hex/Diamond-index design, I would like to see what this one will look like if you really go full bore with those and make them somewhat (or much-) larger while removing the 24 hour scale and keeping the 12-4-8 guide-lines..

2. The particular "purplish" hue of the color blue you use doesn't sing to me, I just photoshopped it into a "desaturated sky-blue" using Hue-Saturation controls and am liking that much better.. Personal preference obviously.

Anyway, those are my thoughts, love the lume layout too!

t3tan3k
    Thanks for your feedback! Perhaps you'd like the first one in the black or navy color way?

I was having a hard time with the rehaut for number two. Perhaps I might play with the color more, but somehow I found I liked the deep blue color that I landed on, I'd guess to contrast with the sky blue of the first design. I'll toy with some other colors. When you said dates it to Hamilton Fields, I suppose you mean it makes it feel older?
    Said blue ring is actually a two-tier sloping rehaut with hexagonal 'platforms' where the numerals sit, I thought it would make for an interesting aspect to create some depth to the dial. I would actually proportionately prefer to make the rehaut much thinner, but it's also possible making them any smaller would make the numbers hard to actually read.
    I'm considering separating the logo from the indices and going back to a design with different quarter indices like an older one, but someone suggested I try this layout. If I make the indices larger I can fit a date window, but I'd have to find some way to fill the resulting gulf between the edge of the dial and the location of the date.
    Just to be clear, the guide lines are also at 10 and 2. There's six of them. But somehow I'm wondering if keeping just 12-4-6-8 actually makes for a nicer look, a sort of 'futuristic crosshair'. Somehow I do think they spruce up the dial a little without distracting too much...
    In terms of the actual dial color, I think I'd try to go for a solid deep black, the kind that kinda just sucks up all light, if I was doing this particular combination.

DEVELOPED IN DARKNESS

MWW P. Marcidus | SNGLRTY OHI-4 | GallioTempo Trident | COA Studios Eclipse
    Steinhart Ocean Titanium 500 (A10) | Spinnaker Bradner
    Ball Engineer Master II Diver TMT (P1J) | Tudor Pelagos LHD | Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

All of this makes sense of course. One thing is that the "blue ring" is not what i was referring to, i was talking about the 24 hour inner scale in blue that i wasn't a big fan of. The blue chapter ring looks great tk me as is!

Quote Originally Posted by t3tan3k View Post
    All of this makes sense of course. One thing is that the "blue ring" is not what i was referring to, i was talking about the 24 hour inner scale in blue that i wasn't a big fan of. The blue chapter ring looks great tk me as is!
    Ah, okay. Yeah, I'm thinking it might be superfluous!

Here are the alternate color versions of Latitude both meant to feature larger quantities of lume:

On the dark blue version the hash marks will probably be made white.

Could I get some feedback on the handset too?

Just for kicks here's a dial design that I ended up not using:
    brandon\ likes this.

DEVELOPED IN DARKNESS

MWW P. Marcidus | SNGLRTY OHI-4 | GallioTempo Trident | COA Studios Eclipse
    Steinhart Ocean Titanium 500 (A10) | Spinnaker Bradner
    Ball Engineer Master II Diver TMT (P1J) | Tudor Pelagos LHD | Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight

Hah i actually photoshopped the large 3-6-9 hex indices on your design yesterday but decided not to post - looked very similar to the above except with large segmented hex at 12 )) i agree that the original one you posted looks better..

Regarding hands, i dont mind the counterweight on seconds and like the shape and the chevron shape on hours. I do think that minutes are too narrow for me maybe.. i think since its syringe sape and lumed different color, you could make it the same width or close to it?..

Oh and i love updated Latitude, that looks really sharp!! Love the hands on this and the indices look very refined!

I think it completely transformed with blue dial - i dont even mind the 24h scale on this version.

The "Latitude Blak Edition" , I really like the look of that mock up.

Latitude with darker dials look great!

Design 2, still thinking markers at 3,6,9 could work as in your discarded option if smaller. Same size as other indices with the triangle shape added.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information