Two Designs... Which should I try to work on? - Page 5
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Two Designs... Which should I try to work on?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Two Designs... Which should I try to work on?

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianZHP View Post
    Your concepts and renders are nice! Which software are you using btw?

I really like the Latitude concept! For the Atlantica, I'd probably skip the textured dial (looks like it is like a subtle cross hatch pattern in one of the renders) and just do a flat matte dial. For crown sizes I personally like 6.5 mm diameter crowns (or anything close to that +/- 0.5 mm). It's an eye-catching design! My favorite color is the black nero-noire.
    Thanks for commenting! I'm really hoping to get more feedback, positive ones are encouraging, but constructively critical ones, especially on function, would be great right now.

Having a specific number given for the crown diameter is great - currently, it's 5.7mm, up from being originally 5mm. The smallish crown is due to it being designed to be stunningly thin with a slim midcase, so to keep symmetry, avoid overhang and overlapping the bezel, I set it at 5mm initially. I upped it in response to more people confirming my feeling that the crown looked disproportionately small and possibly fiddly to use.
    I'm not likely to do an oversized crown such as with Nick's Orion Calamity, as I feel that doesn't match Atlantica's sleek angular look. But I think I can upsize it to 6mm, or 6.25mm, depending on the final thickness of the case.

The dial texturing on the Have-Blue variant is a light etching of the logo in tessellation. It's more subtle on the earlier rendering above (then labelled Seafarer), perhaps due to the more strong navy blue color on that versus the more light-water blue tone it is now (plan to adjust that). It's probably not for everyone, but I thought it might produce something different.
    I'm expecting the Nero-Noire variant to be popular given how people like black divers in general. I think in real life the combination of a matte textured dial with a lightly glossy finished chapter ring will be both understated and contrasty at the same time.
    For the original black-blue variant, I'm hoping to be able to use the kind of inky black look for the main dial that seems textureless (think Chronotechna or Doug's No.4) to really create a blank background for the dial details. For Silber, I want to use something akin to automotive metallic silver and a black ring that has a blue shine to it.

Being eye-catching and aesthetically different is what Atlantica's all about - it has no references. I really am hoping that I can bring something different and new looking with it, hopefully.

Latitude on the other hand is acknowledging the vintage trends, yet not paying tribute to any one famous watch. If you have something to add on it as well, I'd love to know.

In regards to the software I'm using, I'm working with an industry standard CAD package that has an iRay renderer included, plus I do some light post-processing in the typical raster editors if needed.

DEVELOPED IN DARKNESS

MWW P. Marcidus | SNGLRTY OHI-4 | GallioTempo Trident | COA Studios Eclipse
    Steinhart Ocean Titanium 500 (A10) | Spinnaker Bradner
    Ball Engineer Master II Diver TMT (P1J) | Tudor Pelagos LHD | Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight

Quote Originally Posted by i.sabin19 View Post
    Both are magnificent. Black one !
    Thank you. The black versions seem to be a favorite so far...

I'm working out aspects related to making the designs ... well, producible. For Latitude Classico; the bezel is part of that. Do you guys think an insert is better, or would you like the idea of alluding to classic plastic bezel skindivers with an all-black bezel? I'm leaning towards the latter.

Other things coming up as issues that might not translate well to production are the 'hidden' lume outlines on the white dial.
    I'm also planning on reworking the case profile to give it a more slender looking mid-case as opposed to the slab-sided look it has now - does anyone think that would be better?

It's very unlikely I'll be able to do a custom bracelet for Atlantica, but the idea I came up with is something like this.

Unfortunately, I've obviously messed up on the model here - finish and that endlink are both wrong - but I think you can get the idea. Worry not, this is a work in progress, I'm going to revisit this when I have time.
    Latitude will probably have an oyster-style bracelet, if I can make it an option.

DEVELOPED IN DARKNESS

Ball Engineer Master II Diver TMT (P1J) | Tudor Pelagos LHD | Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight

I do like the way the atlantica is progressing! :)

I liek the coloured chapter ring, and I also like the large indices version. If you went with the larger indices, I'd make the coloured chapter ring a bit narrower though.

Overall, really good! Your rendering skills are great :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by daves2889 View Post
    I do like the way the atlantica is progressing! :)

I liek the coloured chapter ring, and I also like the large indices version. If you went with the larger indices, I'd make the coloured chapter ring a bit narrower though.

Overall, really good! Your rendering skills are great :)
    Thanks! It seems this really is a thing where you feel like continously changing things... I used to have an interest in CGI rendering long ago that gave way to just raster artwork, it's turning out to be helpful now.
    The colored chapter ring is definitely what I'd consider one of its signature details, so I'm glad you like it. If I made it narrower on the maxi-dial version though, that would probably skew the proportions and increase empty space on the dial. I could compensate with a wider bezel, however.
    On the whole though, I think I'm unlikely to use the maxi-dial variant. But perhaps I can revisit the style in the future.
    I'm thinking that the watch head for Atlantica is more or less down, aesthetically. I think I might do a pass on the crown guards and see what else I want to refine and I think the actual thickness of the mid case or the caseback may have to go up which may affect the lug profile, though my thickness target is still 12mm or less with a display back. Manufacturer concerns haven't come into the picture on Atlantica which means things could get changed up a lot more when it's analyzed...

Latitude, on the other hand, I'm progressing on it more as I'm preparing to send a final draft for their technical drafting, plus I wanted to fix up all the little things in the model that I personally felt needed fixing.
    So it gives me some pleasure to introduce everyone to version 3 onwards of Latitude. (more angles soon, I might post a side by side of old and new in a while!)

The case profile has been almost completely redone to slimmer than ever, as have the lugs, and the crown guards were just totally redone in a manner I believe more elegant and had hoped for all along. The dial has been brought much closer to the glass as a result, which I hope doesn't have too much effects on its ingress protection.

The dial emblem, I've decided to make it a debossing to make it subtler, adding to the dressy classy feel especially in the icy white dial variant.

Unfortunately, the hidden lume effect where there is outlined lume around the quarter indices, I was told this isn't doable by this particular manufacturer, so the alternative is lume on top of the metal strips.

The arrow hour hand has been modified with some slight projections, I'm kinda on the fence on this one since it makes the shape more detailed but I feel it loses some of the 'vintage' feel. The minute hand was lengthened to touch the center of the lume dots and I returned the tip to its original sharp end rather than curved to match the other two hands. Seconds hand remains speartipped (or Milsub if you will), but the counterbalance has been made larger. I know some of you think the counterbalance should be smaller, but the original was barely a millimetre wide and had spokes that were 50 microns wide, which I believe would be unmanufacturable without specialized equipment. In real life it would have been so small you likely would need a macro lens of magnifying glass to see what it is - to put things into perspective, 50 microns is less than the width of a typical human hair, while the upsized version at 100 microns wide is still well less than ~180 upper range of human hairs. 100 microns is 0.1mm and 0.00393 of an inch!

Another issue I'm facing is that the manufacturer tells me that as exact parts alignment cannot be guaranteed, they recommend changing the bezel start marker to use a different shape rather than with a stripe. Manufacturing tolerances mean alignment won't always be perfect, doubtlessly, but having the stripe will make any misalignment present between the dial, rehaut and bezel significantly more obvious. However, this style was kind of intended from the start and I'm not so keen on changing it, but I'm considering other options such as a circular mark within the triangle instead. I'd like to know everyone's thoughts.

Other to-do is the rotor, I'm told that applying lume to the rotor is technically very challenging and prone to damaging it or other issues such as getting lume particles in the movement or just plain affecting winding properties. It's also impractical and has little benefit as it's not exposed to light under most circumstances, so you'd need to expressly charge the lume for the shot. I know it -can- be done, shout out to Draken here, but it takes some special effort.
    At any rate, that's why none of my shots show the casebacks. I have a custom rotor designed already for Atlantica, but I don't want to get anyone's hopes up.
    Last edited by Karriope; March 30th, 2019 at 07:51.
    Chascomm likes this.

DEVELOPED IN DARKNESS

Couple of Latitude bits for today;

NATO strap suggestion?

And the line of evolution...

DEVELOPED IN DARKNESS

Latitude colorways updated.

And, if the bezel alignment thing turns out to be a problem, these are the other alternatives I've thought of;
    Last edited by Karriope; April 11th, 2019 at 19:02.

DEVELOPED IN DARKNESS

I just discovered your thread... very nice work you did there. I can see a very interesting watch in the making... I will certainly keep an eye on this thread. Keep on the good work! Cheers..

Banned

Wow, extremely good work! I like the alternative bezels, and wonder if they might look interesting if a circle of the same size and spacing as the minutes was circumscribed in the triangles at 5 and 15.

Overall, amazing work. Brands would be lucky to have you!

Quote Originally Posted by Panerol Forte View Post
    I just discovered your thread... very nice work you did there. I can see a very interesting watch in the making... I will certainly keep an eye on this thread. Keep on the good work! Cheers..
    I hope to have some physical to show soon, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by crystalclearwatchmaking View Post
    Wow, extremely good work! I like the alternative bezels, and wonder if they might look interesting if a circle of the same size and spacing as the minutes was circumscribed in the triangles at 5 and 15.

Overall, amazing work. Brands would be lucky to have you!
    Thanks for the compliment. I quite like your idea and went to see how it looks...it turns out I'm actually not so sure it looks nice when implemented. What's your take?

For more stuff, the Classico variant if it was using a bezel insert would end up looking something like this:

And here are the Origins and Blak Edition with NATOs as well;

DEVELOPED IN DARKNESS

Alright, if anyone's still checking around here, I'm just about to send my final drawings for Latitude. It's the last chance to throw an idea at me.

I also want some opinions regarding the crystal. Given Latitude is a classic vintage-inspired model, do you prefer the retro heavy distortion of a single-domed crystal, or the clarity and higher thinness of a double-domed crystal?

DEVELOPED IN DARKNESS

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information