Watch design project. Feedback wanted! :) Vintage-style diver - Page 2
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Watch design project. Feedback wanted! :) Vintage-style diver

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 49
  1. #11
    Member sriracha's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Middle
    Posts
    1,969

    Re: Watch design project. Feedback wanted! :) Vintage-style diver

    I quite like it!!!

    It’s begging for an orange inner dial ;)

    My only critique are the hands - the hour and minute hands look discordant. Maybe the hour one is too thick and long?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "No ice in my drink, got enough in my watch..." -Juicy J

  2. #12
    Member devmartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    117

    Re: Watch design project. Feedback wanted! :) Vintage-style diver

    Looks amazing I want it! I prefer the date with no extra minute track. I agree with the other guy go with 20mm lugs.

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    36

    Re: Watch design project. Feedback wanted! :) Vintage-style diver

    Hi all,

    Thanks for all the great feedback and help. Having taken everything into account form here and other sources, this is the design I have finalised and will be having made into prototypes which will hopefully be ready early in the new year. 3D renders to come in the coming weeks :)

    Case size: 40mm
    Crystal material: Sapphire w/ AR on underside
    Bezel material: Sapphire w/ lumed markers and AR on underside
    Movement: Swiss STP 1-11
    Lug to lug:48mm
    Lug width: 20mm

    What does everyone think?
    Name:  44951187_295803714359879_1112748308960378880_n.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  87.7 KB
    OvrSteer and t3tan3k like this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    174

    Re: Watch design project. Feedback wanted! :) Vintage-style diver

    Nice diver design

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  6. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    534

    Re: Watch design project. Feedback wanted! :) Vintage-style diver

    Quote Originally Posted by daves2889 View Post
    Hi all,

    Thanks for all the great feedback and help. Having taken everything into account form here and other sources, this is the design I have finalised and will be having made into prototypes which will hopefully be ready early in the new year. 3D renders to come in the coming weeks :)

    Case size: 40mm
    Crystal material: Sapphire w/ AR on underside
    Bezel material: Sapphire w/ lumed markers and AR on underside
    Movement: Swiss STP 1-11
    Lug to lug:48mm
    Lug width: 20mm

    What does everyone think?
    Name:  44951187_295803714359879_1112748308960378880_n.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  87.7 KB
    I dont like the bracelet, maybe oyster is my thing.

    However gotta give lots of credits to the watch head design, manly and elegant at the same time

  7. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    36

    Re: Watch design project. Feedback wanted! :) Vintage-style diver

    Quote Originally Posted by 24watchOC View Post
    I dont like the bracelet, maybe oyster is my thing.

    However gotta give lots of credits to the watch head design, manly and elegant at the same time
    Thanks for your feedback! It took me a long time to get the watch head right and finalise the design. I was determined to make something classy with a nod to some vintage dive pieces whilst also being a modern and classy piece. I wanted it to look equally at home on a diver's wrist and on a businessman's wrist. Kind of like the submariner does.

    Funnily enough I am actually in the process of sorting out a different bracelet design myself as I decided that the one in the renders just wasn't right for the project. It won't be a plain and simple Oyster as I want the bracelet to be different to the usual offerings from most microbrands, but it will be something that better fits the overall aesthetic.

  8. #17
    Member Karriope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    290

    Re: Watch design project. Feedback wanted! :) Vintage-style diver

    Quote Originally Posted by 24watchOC View Post
    I dont like the bracelet, maybe oyster is my thing.

    However gotta give lots of credits to the watch head design, manly and elegant at the same time
    I agree with this... somehow, an oyster-style bracelet seems like a better fit for this design. I also somehow find that I prefer the non-squared-insides of the original prototype to the 62MAS-style squares for some reason. That's just me though, I think it looks pretty neat anyhow. Since you're reworking it, I'd suppose something that plays off the blocky look of the indexes and hands would be best.

    DEVELOPED IN DARKNESS

    MWW P. Marcidus | SNGLRTY OHI-4 | GallioTempo Trident | COA Studios Eclipse
    Steinhart Ocean Titanium 500 (A10) | Spinnaker Bradner
    Ball Engineer Master II Diver TMT (P1J) | Tudor Pelagos LHD | Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight

  9. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    36

    Re: Watch design project. Feedback wanted! :) Vintage-style diver

    Quote Originally Posted by Karriope View Post
    I agree with this... somehow, an oyster-style bracelet seems like a better fit for this design. I also somehow find that I prefer the non-squared-insides of the original prototype to the 62MAS-style squares for some reason. That's just me though, I think it looks pretty neat anyhow. Since you're reworking it, I'd suppose something that plays off the blocky look of the indexes and hands would be best.
    Do you mean the shape of the case/edge between the lugs? As in the straight edge versus the more traditional curved edge? If so, this was probably more of a personal choice. I like being able to use a range of different straps and bracelets on my watches. With curved lugedges there's always a gap between the case and the strap when using traditional straight edge straps. I don't mind this with leather, or rubber straps, but with bracelets I hate it and the only way to combat it is with generic end pieces, that never quite follow the shape of case lugs properly.

    So, in an effort to allow greater changeability of straps and bracelets, I went with a straight case edge between the lugs so that it's easier for owners to change straps/bracelets up with a good fit without a gap. The majority of replacement bracelets have a straight edge which will look nice and neat with this case design/shape.

    Lots of thought went into every element of the design and I had to be totally happy with each part before moving to completion! The bracelet still continues to be a bit of an issue. I may explore the full bespoke/custom option if an existing design cannot be found. I'd still prefer to have something different from a traditional Oyster as they're a very common design, and I want this to be something different in an owners collection.

  10. #19
    Member Karriope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    290

    Re: Watch design project. Feedback wanted! :) Vintage-style diver

    Quote Originally Posted by daves2889 View Post
    Do you mean the shape of the case/edge between the lugs? As in the straight edge versus the more traditional curved edge? If so, this was probably more of a personal choice. I like being able to use a range of different straps and bracelets on my watches. With curved lugedges there's always a gap between the case and the strap when using traditional straight edge straps. I don't mind this with leather, or rubber straps, but with bracelets I hate it and the only way to combat it is with generic end pieces, that never quite follow the shape of case lugs properly.

    So, in an effort to allow greater changeability of straps and bracelets, I went with a straight case edge between the lugs so that it's easier for owners to change straps/bracelets up with a good fit without a gap. The majority of replacement bracelets have a straight edge which will look nice and neat with this case design/shape.

    Lots of thought went into every element of the design and I had to be totally happy with each part before moving to completion! The bracelet still continues to be a bit of an issue. I may explore the full bespoke/custom option if an existing design cannot be found. I'd still prefer to have something different from a traditional Oyster as they're a very common design, and I want this to be something different in an owners collection.
    Yeah, I was referring to that.
    You could do a custom end link but that has its own set of problems. I do own a watch with Doug's 62MWW case, so I do admit the straight case edge for lugs looks nice when straps fill the space completely - I like how it makes all the straps look made for the watch. Don't worry too much about my comment. It's that I somehow find the non-squared ends a better fit for the vintage-inspired look. Going with with the squared ends changes it up a bit and helps make its personality more unique.

    DEVELOPED IN DARKNESS

    MWW P. Marcidus | SNGLRTY OHI-4 | GallioTempo Trident | COA Studios Eclipse
    Steinhart Ocean Titanium 500 (A10) | Spinnaker Bradner
    Ball Engineer Master II Diver TMT (P1J) | Tudor Pelagos LHD | Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight

  11. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    36

    Re: Watch design project. Feedback wanted! :) Vintage-style diver

    Quote Originally Posted by Karriope View Post
    Yeah, I was referring to that.
    You could do a custom end link but that has its own set of problems. I do own a watch with Doug's 62MWW case, so I do admit the straight case edge for lugs looks nice when straps fill the space completely - I like how it makes all the straps look made for the watch. Don't worry too much about my comment. It's that I somehow find the non-squared ends a better fit for the vintage-inspired look. Going with with the squared ends changes it up a bit and helps make its personality more unique.
    I had thought about a custom end piece, but then it wouldn't really end up being compatible with other bracelets, and it I made a universal end piece it wouldn't have looked right with all straps. Lots of deliberation and went with this shape in the end. Whilst it does, as you say, have a vintage-inspired look, I also did want it to have a modern flair to it too. A cross over of modern and vintage. Glad you like the finished peice! I'm looking forward to being able to show the finished head with the finished bracelet design. It looks like I'm going to be going completely bespoke as I just cannot find anything pre-existing that works for my aesthetic preferences...Watch this space!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. The Russian forum 2016 project - a vintage-style diver
      By Chascomm in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: August 10th, 2016, 05:10
    2. Feedback on custom watch design/project!
      By 07jeanyu in forum Watch Concepts & Designs
      Replies: 17
      Last Post: May 24th, 2015, 16:49
    3. New watch design project - need help/feedback!
      By Nadim in forum Watch Concepts & Designs
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: June 19th, 2013, 01:54
    4. Replies: 11
      Last Post: December 5th, 2010, 09:29
    5. Vintage styled divers
      By threed in forum Dive watches
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: June 30th, 2009, 12:27

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •