Watch design project. Feedback wanted! :) Vintage-style diver
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Watch design project. Feedback wanted! :) Vintage-style diver

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Watch design project. Feedback wanted! :) Vintage-style diver

Hi all,

I'm in the process of designing my second idea with a view to making a couple for personal use.

Earlier this year I made two of my first design which was really simple and a strong homage to the Breitling Superocean 2005 (one of my favourite watches, but unobtainable for me!). The first design was this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 13.44.10.jpg 
Views:	657 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	13436279

I'm now looking at my next design and I've come up with these so far. It's an evolution of the first design which is pure homage, and I've added my own design tweaks to it. Date and non-date versions. I usually lean towards a date as I find it very useful but the non-date has a little extra symmetry which looks cool. I've also made examples with and without the extra inside minute track.

Case size: 40mm
    Lug width: 22mm
    Crystal: Flat sapphire
    Movement: Seiko NH35a

Name:	LPW1 Date.jpg 
Views:	647 
Size:	233.7 KB 
ID:	13436283Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LPW1 NoDate.jpg 
Views:	638 
Size:	236.0 KB 
ID:	13436285

Name:	LPW2 Date.jpg 
Views:	633 
Size:	229.4 KB 
ID:	13436287Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LPW2 NoDate.jpg 
Views:	622 
Size:	228.6 KB 
ID:	13436289

What is everyone's thoughts? Feedback is much appreciated :)

Inactive

Re: Watch design project. Feedback wanted! :) Vintage-style diver

Quote Originally Posted by daves2889 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm in the process of designing my second idea with a view to making a couple for personal use.

Earlier this year I made two of my first design which was really simple and a strong homage to the Breitling Superocean 2005 (one of my favourite watches, but unobtainable for me!). The first design was this:

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 13.44.10.jpg 
Views:	657 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	13436279

I'm now looking at my next design and I've come up with these so far. It's an evolution of the first design which is pure homage, and I've added my own design tweaks to it. Date and non-date versions. I usually lean towards a date as I find it very useful but the non-date has a little extra symmetry which looks cool. I've also made examples with and without the extra inside minute track.

Case size: 40mm
    Lug width: 22mm
    Crystal: Flat sapphire
    Movement: Seiko NH35a

Name:	LPW1 Date.jpg 
Views:	647 
Size:	233.7 KB 
ID:	13436283Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LPW1 NoDate.jpg 
Views:	638 
Size:	236.0 KB 
ID:	13436285

Name:	LPW2 Date.jpg 
Views:	633 
Size:	229.4 KB 
ID:	13436287Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LPW2 NoDate.jpg 
Views:	622 
Size:	228.6 KB 
ID:	13436289

What is everyone's thoughts? Feedback is much appreciated :)
    Their great! Very clean design!

Enviado do meu Nexus 6P através do Tapatalk

Thanks mate! Did you have a preference with date/no date or with the additional inside minute track or not?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Some minor/not-so-minor nitpicks:

- If symmetry is important, how hard would it be to get a vertically oriented date wheel for the NH35 and put the date at 6? That solves the symmetry problem at least for those who prefer a date.

- The hands on the previous prototype seem awfully small for a diver. Here they're going up in size a bit, but the hour and minutes are pretty similar in length if not width.

- Here's the big one for me. I cue off the size of the dial very strongly to feel if the watch is OK in size or too small. Having a dark area surrounded by light area makes the dial feel like it's only the center in terms of visual weight. Pulling the indices into the middle and making sure the hands don't go past that visual barrier make it even more obvious. Combined with a 40mm diver which (for me) is just too small for a diver/watch with bezel and a dial that makes it feel small, it seems like it's going to "wear" even smaller.

I remember the first time I saw a modern Hamilton Pan Europ in person-- I had gone to see it specifically and once I put it on my wrist it was an instant no sale. The dark dial (surrounded by white) on a moderately large watch felt like I was wearing a medium-to-large watch with a teeny tiny dial and that was that. I have no interest in that model anymore.

But let's be honest-- I'm not the entire market and you're free to take whatever I mention with a grain of salt. Separating the design from the size, I'm personally just not going to consider a 40mm diver and only look at 40mm watches in the context of all-dial stuff.
    Philipp_Akura likes this.
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

Oh, and if you keep the date at 3:00, a black date wheel with white numerals is the other good option to make it feel less asymmetrical.

$.02
    Philipp_Akura likes this.
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

Quote Originally Posted by OvrSteer View Post
    Oh, and if you keep the date at 3:00, a black date wheel with white numerals is the other good option to make it feel less asymmetrical.

$.02
    Hey,

Thanks a lot for your feedback. Very much appreciated so thanks for taking the time to reply.

On the date window, I think I prefer it at three as that's the place I'm most used to seeing it, rather than at 6. I will have a look at the inverted colours of the datewheel though. That's a good idea.

Your comments about the size are very interesting and have struck a valid point with me. I usually wear a Superocean Abyss which is 42mm but wears quite small due to the large bezel, and the sectored dial with the yellow chapter ring. Bumping up the size to 42mm might be a good shout in terms of wearability as you're right, it'll likely wear smaller than due to the design.

Thanks for your input - very helpful!
    OvrSteer likes this.

I like the design. It sort of looks like a Pelagos dial in a Black Bay case.
    Many a little makes a micle.

Thanks! Someone else mentioned a Pelagos hint, which I'd not realised/thought about. Happy with the comparison, good company to be in with Tudor! :)

I like the design overall, however I might consider 20mm straps instead of 22mm because of its 40mm diameter and the popularity. Just my experience.
    LosAngelesTimer likes this.

Oh, I quite like that. Agree with the comment about having a black date wheel. Putting the date at 6 would also help a lot, as suggested.
    Overall quite fond of the wide rehaut chapter ring, that's a touch that's quite unusual these days. As mentioned, it evokes a Pelagos, and one of my favorite details of that watch is the way the dial markers cut into the rehaut.

I am finding though that the unfilled rectangle on the rehaut at 12 is out of place. Maybe a fat triangle?

DEVELOPED IN DARKNESS

MWW P. Marcidus | SNGLRTY OHI-4 | GallioTempo Trident | COA Studios Eclipse
    Steinhart Ocean Titanium 500 (A10) | Spinnaker Bradner
    Ball Engineer Master II Diver TMT (P1J) | Tudor Pelagos LHD | Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information