Watch Manufacturing - Contact China Directly or through Hong Kong?

Thread: Watch Manufacturing - Contact China Directly or through Hong Kong?

Watch Manufacturing - Contact China Directly or through Hong Kong?

Hi All,

Looking for advice here. I would like to manufacture a line of watches. I understand going through HK may add another layer of QC. HK companies tend to know how to source components properly. However, their cost (design and tooling charges) tends to be more. Contacting manufacturers in China directly saves cost. However, it's hard to do QC and ensure legitimacy of the company.

What do you guys think? Is it worth the extra to hire a HK company? I have looked for companies on Alibaba, cross-checked on HKTDC and globalsource... but still just not sure without going to China personally.

KLo

Re: Watch Manufacturing - Contact China Directly or through Hong Kong?

Not only should you go through Hong Kong, but you should also hire a company--not Chinese--to carry out QC assurance.

Speaking from experience.

no matter you buy from hk or china, they are all same despite the fact that the hk based companies are mostly just trading companies. so basically if you buy from hk it means you buy from china anyway. my recommendation is, you buy from a western company who buys from china. makes sure you understand eachother during communication. miscommunication is the biggest problem dealing with asians. very often they pretend to understand even if they dont do. and they never say no. on first sight it seems like the heaven for unlimited possibilities but after you start, you understand what i mean. other point is the design and construction. chinese tend to make easy to produce construcions and designs. so if you dont have technical plans and measures, you should be careful of all details. i am pretty sure you have ideals, high targets and demands, whilst your chinese supplier is after the fast dollar. so better dont expect wonders here. you can have a design and construction made in the west and send them over to your suppliers. you will see how many reject or refuse it because maybe it is too complex for them or they quote you very high price. sourcing from asia is tricky

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhere else View Post
    Not only should you go through Hong Kong, but you should also hire a company--not Chinese--to carry out QC assurance.

Speaking from experience.
    Do you have any recommendations or could you share any of your experiences with any factories? Anything would help as I am about to start having samples of my design produced but I'd like to know as much as possible to minimize the costs as much as I can.

There are no Hong Kong-based watch factories. They are all in china. If you trade through HK you are either a) trading with the rep office of the china company or b) dealing with an intermediary who will have their own markup. There's no point to either, legal, communication or anything. Go direct.

Source: I am here.
    My new microbrand: http://eurekawatch.com

Quote Originally Posted by DEPA View Post
    no matter you buy from hk or china, they are all same despite the fact that the hk based companies are mostly just trading companies. so basically if you buy from hk it means you buy from china anyway. my recommendation is, you buy from a western company who buys from china. makes sure you understand eachother during communication. miscommunication is the biggest problem dealing with asians. very often they pretend to understand even if they dont do. and they never say no. on first sight it seems like the heaven for unlimited possibilities but after you start, you understand what i mean. other point is the design and construction. chinese tend to make easy to produce construcions and designs. so if you dont have technical plans and measures, you should be careful of all details. i am pretty sure you have ideals, high targets and demands, whilst your chinese supplier is after the fast dollar. so better dont expect wonders here. you can have a design and construction made in the west and send them over to your suppliers. you will see how many reject or refuse it because maybe it is too complex for them or they quote you very high price. sourcing from asia is tricky
    Hi DEPA,
    It seems you are experienced of sourcing from China. I am creating my watch brand through a chinese watch factory, and now I have the samples now, the quality is good at this moment, but I am concerned after reading your message. What should I pay attention to if I place the bulk order to them? Or could you help to evaluate this company? If possible their website is Watch Manufacturer With Own Factory | Ops Watches

Thank you in advance

Chinese companies trades from HK offices for some financial reasons. HK laws and taxes are different from Mainland.

The sad part is, that the experienced and successful businesses all tend to keep their vendors close to heart. I wish it was different, but that's the reality of things. We're all forced to trial and error ourselves to an extent. No one wants their vendors working with others, it's just how competition works. Say I have a successful business with the best dream vendor there ever was. Their prices are fair and their quality is top-notch. Will I share that information to everyone on a public forum?

If I do... There is no benefit to me. You and the others on the other hand get to skip all the months (or even years) of relationship testing and development, get to know how my watches are sourced, know roughly my development costs, create more work for my vendor (increase my lead times), and immediately become a direct competitor to my business. So what's in it for me? Am I greedy and unethical for keeping this secret? Some would say yes, and in truth it's sad to not see a "top vendors" list as many crude and low quality shops getaway with what would be bad reviews and reputation... Maybe this will change with time but as of now the information you seek is not really out there in detail.

If I'd start a watch brand, I'd make sure there was support in my country (in case of warranty/repairs). I think it would be hassle to say, ship your watches back to China every time something happens.

I'll also talk to these companies listed below here before talking to any of the Alibaba ones:

https://watchotaku.atlassian.net/wik...your+own+watch

Thread Information