WWII Marine Project Watch
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kezcub
  • 1 Post By DECO665

Thread: WWII Marine Project Watch

WWII Marine Project Watch

Hey guys,

I was entertaining the notion of making a project watch resembling the WWII Hamilton watch issued to the US Marine Corps.

My thoughts were to go one of two ways on this. The potentially more direct way would seem to be taking an existing watch, say like the MkII Cruxible and replacing the face and hands.

The second way would be starting from scratch.

In either case, it would be necessary to get the dial redone and perhaps have hands made (since these seem to be an uncommon design).

Just curious what thoughts might occur as to the difficulty of doing this from those with more experience.

Any input would be appreciated up to and including, “Never gonna happen”.

Pics borrowed primarily from Hamiltonchronicles.com and 60clicks.com with thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Deacon211; February 24th, 2019 at 14:24.

Re: WWII Marine Project Watch

Have you considered buying a Khaki Field?

...If still no, some of the dials from Ofrei are fairly close to the first one in your pictures.
    Plus, 'cathedral' style hands aren't hard to find, though ones without inner divisions are a bit less common.

DEVELOPED IN DARKNESS

MWW P. Marcidus | SNGLRTY OHI-4 | GallioTempo Trident | COA Studios Eclipse
    Steinhart Ocean Titanium 500 (A10) | Spinnaker Bradner
    Ball Engineer Master II Diver TMT (P1J) | Tudor Pelagos LHD | Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight

Quote Originally Posted by Karriope View Post
    Have you considered buying a Khaki Field?

...If still no, some of the dials from Ofrei are fairly close to the first one in your pictures.
    Plus, 'cathedral' style hands aren't hard to find, though ones without inner divisions are a bit less common.
    Hey Karriope,

Well, looking at the Hamilton Field was what got me started down this path of the damned.

Inevitably, as I started looking at the Hamilton I learned that it was a late ‘60s era design, which led me to looking at the A-11, which led me to the Cruxible, which led me to discover that the Marine Aviators actually wore the watches above. Being a retired Marine pilot myself, I immediately became obsessed with finding one.

Understanding that finding one of these in good shape might be a process, I just began to wonder if I couldn’t make one more easily.

Yeah, I suspect that the cathedral hands would probably not be especially difficult to get. But those specific ones seemed a little more rare which brings up the question of getting them made possibly?

Anyway, just tying to determine feasibility. Thanks again!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Is this going to be a one-off project or a series? Everything can be done, it just depends on your budget.

Expect to pay around $200-$300 for printing a single dial and even more if you want luminous elements on it. You'd need to produce the artwork in digital form, or outsource this if you don't have the skill. I can probably help you with a brass dial blank and even painted with the background color. There are few dial printers around the world that can take a one-off job.

For making hands, the cheapest option is to go with photo-etching (P/E) in brass. The cost of making an A4 P/E sheet is about $50, so quite acceptable. There is an additional effort to finish the hands (e.g. stamping and broaching the hole, painting them with super-luminova, polishing).

It is quite some work but is doable.

Quote Originally Posted by utzelu View Post
    Is this going to be a one-off project or a series? Everything can be done, it just depends on your budget.

Expect to pay around $200-$300 for printing a single dial and even more if you want luminous elements on it. You'd need to produce the artwork in digital form, or outsource this if you don't have the skill. I can probably help you with a brass dial blank and even painted with the background color. There are few dial printers around the world that can take a one-off job.

For making hands, the cheapest option is to go with photo-etching (P/E) in brass. The cost of making an A4 P/E sheet is about $50, so quite acceptable. There is an additional effort to finish the hands (e.g. stamping and broaching the hole, painting them with super-luminova, polishing).

It is quite some work but is doable.
    Thanks Utzelu!

My original thought would be a one off. Figuring out whether places did one offs or whether I’d need to make a batch and sell the rest was part of my calculations.

So it sounds like I can do a custom dial and custom hands. Next I take it that I would need to figure out what watch to mod. My first thought was The MKII Cruxible as it at least resembles the A-11. Not sure if there are standard case/movement combinations or any that would be a fair match for the original. And then of course, I’d need to decide on a crystal.

I’m no great hand on digital drafting programs, but it seems that I could attempt to scan an original and convert the scan to something like a blueprint.

That looks like quite the endeavor. Good luck.
    Deacon211 likes this.

Need more watches like this.

And more in traditional proportions (36mm or less).

Go for it!
    Deacon211 likes this.

Thread Information