Archimede outdoor pass around review
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Archimede outdoor pass around review

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Before I start, I want to give thanks to archimede, mike stuffler, and bhanu chopra for organizing the pass around. This is a really great way to get a watch out in the public and get various reviews from the watch community. I wouldnít have had an opportunity to see an archimede in person otherwise.

Name:  3F0AA175-78DD-4365-8B0E-C01889FAB606.jpeg
Views: 141
Size:  450.5 KB

Since so many others have done a great job going over the basic properties of the watch, Iím going to focus on the subtler details that unraveled during my week with the watch.

My initial impression upon opening the watch box was how much shinier the watch was in person compared to my expectations. The pictures really emphasize the contrast and tool style dna of the watch, but in person the bezel picks up and plays with the light. I prefer applied indicies, but the stark white and sharp printing on the dial almost sparkles.

Name:  582D5853-2F90-499A-A6B4-3E5ED1732F59.jpeg
Views: 129
Size:  2.87 MB

After pulling the watch out of the box, I was impressed with the supple black leather band. It has a fun pebble texture, contrast stitching, and a nice matching buckle. But my first negative popped up when I strapped the watch on: it looked like I stole my dadís watch.

Name:  35B87932-D596-4235-85A8-CEC6C83D405A.jpeg
Views: 124
Size:  3.38 MB

I have a 6.25 or roughly 16cm wrist, and I would need one if not two additional holes in the strap to make it work. Even then, I would almost double wrap the strap around. No worries though, I have a nice short colareb strap to swap on.

Name:  57D04EC4-6654-4A63-8204-220E61CFB8D5.jpeg
Views: 137
Size:  4.07 MB

Guess where a bunch of gunk is going to build up with shrouded lugs:

Name:  7C6F59FB-ED8E-40D8-A42E-B0A861B6FE30.jpeg
Views: 132
Size:  3.57 MB

On the wrist. The 41mm is mostly dial and is a little larger than my puny wrist can handle. I can pull it off, but the 39mm would be a much better fit. The 46mm lugs are within my comfort zone, and the semi circular chamfer on the watch flows smoothly into the angle that the strap curves around my wrist. The lugs definitely have more visual heft to them, though. The watch wore comfortably on my wrist, and didnít rock back and forth. From a sideview, the lugs seem to turn down dramatically, but on the wrist they are more flat.

Name:  68A046B1-8F85-480A-AD6E-667935DD8216.jpeg
Views: 126
Size:  343.4 KB

About the mechanicals. Iíve never owned an ETA movement. I was surprised how different it felt winding compared to the seiko movements. While the seikos feel like winding a very small gear connected to a spring, the ETA felt like tightening a rubber band around an axle. The crown was very sturdy feeling. The accuracy was astounding, averaging less than one second per day error.

Name:  1046725A-7669-4029-B9DB-9487E77C54EB.jpeg
Views: 120
Size:  194.9 KB

The dial is definitely the highlight of the watch for me. Itís quirky, it has depth, and it can go anywhere. The white lume pips are heavily applied, and have a slight contour that catches the light if you look closely. The radial flip on the numbers didnít bother me at all. The vertical rehaut with minute markings are super fun, but impractical. Looking at the watch head on renders the minute track unreadable. Reflections will change the color of the dial relative to the rehaut, which is either interesting or annoying depending on your point of view.

Name:  1388586C-9AA2-4E4E-B9E1-51FA6EF1C3CC.jpeg
Views: 124
Size:  1.72 MB

The hands are simplistic but stark in contrast. I was concerned about confusing the two hands, but in reality the minute hand has a slight taper that helps differentiate it. The blued metal seconds hand is fun, but as Kenny Wayne Shepherd famously pointed out, blue on black doesnít stand out much. The seconds hand completely disappears in a variety of angles.

Name:  21329129-56AC-425C-835C-136A6B381CCA.jpeg
Views: 121
Size:  2.45 MB

The ickler case was a letdown. Sure itís hardened, but I was hoping the unusual barrel shape would be more endearing. Alas, the slab sides and stubby crown guards couldnít keep up despite the satin bezel bringing some sparkle. The finishing itself is fine, but I think my seiko sarbs have better brushing.

Name:  3E2DAEB3-951D-4333-B574-826D157C874E.jpeg
Views: 130
Size:  335.3 KB

The crystal is fantastic, disappearing from most angles. At extreme angles, the crystal looks impossibly thin where it meets the rehaut. The optical transparency is very high. Fingerprints and smudges didnít bother me like they do on my sarb033.

Name:  CF905DE0-5A84-45B1-AF51-C085AF604D4F.jpeg
Views: 130
Size:  2.91 MB

Overall I enjoyed my time with the watch. I wore it constantly, without concern for its durability which was very refreshing. I also wore it to work in a professional office and on business travel, and it never felt out of place. The dial is super fun, but the case is a little pedestrian. Either the 39 or 41mm versions will look good on a wide variety of wrists.

The watch is on its way to our next member, who Iím sure will enjoy it.
    JacobC, warsh, SteamJ and 3 others like this.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Archimede outdoor pass around review

Thank you for participating and for your excellent write-up covering aspects which not have been covered yet.
    hairy likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Good news from Archimede, too: They just released the Outdoor 41 AntiMag on bracelet.

Name:  bildvorlage-OutDoor-AntiMag-500-KopieFmUunFUuRey1S.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  43.4 KB
    tsteph12 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ffritz View Post
    Good news from Archimede, too: They just released the Outdoor 41 AntiMag on bracelet.

Name:  bildvorlage-OutDoor-AntiMag-500-KopieFmUunFUuRey1S.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  43.4 KB
    As reported already here: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f8/arc...t-4959771.html
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Thanks for the review. I love my green 39mm Outdoor Protect, but I have one issue with it - the date window. Like it basically, but I've found I can see dark text against light background better. I'd really like to make the slight upgrade to this version. I'd prefer the starker color contrast for the date, and I'd very much enjoy the anti-magnetic feature. However, there is one big thing holding me back beside the loss I'd take on flipping my existing Outdoor Protect: the size. You cover it well in this review. The size on mine is in my *perfect* zone. Going a little bigger would be a negative on my 6.5 inch wrists, and I'm sick and tired of fighting off watches that just a bit too big. Really tired of it. And I'd just feel sick taking that big of a loss just to do a color swap to a different color (but the sand, blue, and black versions do all appeal to me.)

This one really tortures me, though. I really want this version - love everything about it, but I don't want to play the this-watch-is-great-but-just-a-bit-too-big game anymore.
    stuffler,mike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkBishop View Post
    Thanks for the review. I love my green 39mm Outdoor Protect, but I have one issue with it - the date window. Like it basically, but I've found I can see dark text against light background better. I'd really like to make the slight upgrade to this version. I'd prefer the starker color contrast for the date, and I'd very much enjoy the anti-magnetic feature. However, there is one big thing holding me back beside the loss I'd take on flipping my existing Outdoor Protect: the size. You cover it well in this review. The size on mine is in my *perfect* zone. Going a little bigger would be a negative on my 6.5 inch wrists, and I'm sick and tired of fighting off watches that just a bit too big. Really tired of it. And I'd just feel sick taking that big of a loss just to do a color swap to a different color (but the sand, blue, and black versions do all appeal to me.)

This one really tortures me, though. I really want this version - love everything about it, but I don't want to play the this-watch-is-great-but-just-a-bit-too-big game anymore.
    I was one of the pass around reviewers, and I fear that is what you would find w the larger case on this model.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    MarkBishop likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by warsh View Post
    I was one of the pass around reviewers, and I fear that is what you would find w the larger case on this model.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Read and liked your review a lot, too! All the reviewers that mention it are consistent on the size issue. I'm sticking with the 39mm over the 41mm. The perfect size is key. And, hey, I'm told that if a watch does get magnetized, it's a super easy fix. Also, I don't think I've had it happen to any of mine, so even at worst I don't think it would be a common occurrence for me with my lifestyle and activities. If I change careers to be an MRI tech or take up guitar amp collecting as a hobby, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
    hairy likes this.

I spent the past week with the watch and sadly had to ship it off to another member yesterday, would have liked a little more time to really get the feel for the spirit of this one, because it left me a bit conflicted. I absolutely LOVE the 39mm version, a friend has the white dial and I was able to handle and try it on last year. Itís almost perfect. My personal opinion is they had it right and decided to mess with a good thing and blow up the case size unnecessarily, which throws off those perfect proportions (can anyone say Explorer2?).

I am a wrist flip-flopper sometimes, depending on whether I can find a good strap hole to fit my tiny 6.7Ē right wrist. If not, Iíll wear it on my left, doesnít bother me. I do love the unique design of the Outdoor, and even though I didnít test smashing my wifeís diamond against it am guessing the hardened case will hold up nicely to the elements of whatever ďoutdoorĒ type activities you throw at it. I contemplated taking it to the beach last weekend, but I knew Iíd be swimming and didnít want to damage the leather strap (which is nice and surprisingly soft/flexible for how thick it is). I did take it to work, for a bike ride, playing with my kids, and a number of house chores. It took it all in stride.

My favorite parts about this watch have always been the legibility and unique styling. It doesnít look like anything else out there, and in a sea of me-too generic designs is something I really respect. The dial is easy to read, the matte black background makes the white hands pop nicely, and I think the markings on the chapter ring/ rehaut (after a decade of watch loving I still donít know the difference) give it some pizazz.

I did not like the way it wore on my wrist, though. Just too big. This isnít so much a complaint as it is a comment, Iím sure anyone with a bigger wrist would find it perfectly sized, though if you are under 7Ē going with the 39 should be a no-brainer.

The crown is signed with an Avengers-esque letter A, and screwed down nicely. Maybe I havenít owned a watch with this movement before (their website just says Swiss Automatic Movement) but it felt like it was grinding sand when I wound it. Not sure if thatís normal or just me.

I can appreciate the anti-mag properties, even if they donít mean much in this day and age (Iíve never magnetized a watch in my life). However, the quirkiness is fun and refreshing, I used to own a milgauss for the same reason.

In conclusion, this was a fun watch to have but I had a hard time seeing itís soul. By that I mean that I just donít see how it would fit in with my collection and get wrist time. Itís fun, but at the end of the day I felt myself wanting to strap back on my skx007 I had been wearing the previous week. After owning a few watches that were obviously too big for my infant sized wrist but buying anyway because I was in denial, Iíve now become super sensitive to looking like a goon with a dinner plate watch. I constantly felt this was too large and it took away from the wearing enjoyment. Again, not a knock against the watch, just a personal issue with the wearer. Iíd love to try the 39mm version for a week and see if that one clicks, my gut tells me it would steal plenty of wrist time.

Many thanks again to Mike and Bhanu for setting this up and helping with the logistics of moving the watch from one member to the next. I sincerely appreciated the opportunity to participate and it wouldnít have been possible without the help of these guys!
    Last edited by Toothbras; June 7th, 2019 at 16:32.

Another great review!

Quote Originally Posted by Toothbras View Post
    After owning a few watches that were obviously too big for my infant sized wrist but buying anyway because I was in denial, I’ve now become super sensitive to looking like a goon with a dinner plate watch. I constantly felt this was too large and it took away from the wearing enjoyment. Again, not a knock against the watch, just a personal issue with the wearer. !
    This quote is me to the T regarding many watches. I've finally figured it out myself.
    Toothbras likes this.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. Appreciated.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information